starting strength gym
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy's Quest for 5/4/3/2

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Next time I'm in Chicago, I will have to train with you and Cullen and B&W. I don't know what i would do with 100 lb plates, but I kind of want to use them.

What is the non-vegan, non-whey protein you use?

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Next time I'm in Chicago, I will have to train with you and Cullen and B&W. I don't know what i would do with 100 lb plates, but I kind of want to use them.

What is the non-vegan, non-whey protein you use?
    Sounds great! B&W is awesome. Today there were a ton of strong (strong to me) people there. At least half the people squatting were hitting 4 to 5 plates for reps...unfortunately, I'm still not one of them! And a couple dudes deadlifting in the mid 5s. Very chill atmosphere too. Including some dogs who just chill by the side while their owners get their training in. And 2 SSCs (Bill & Spencer) constantly roaming around training folks. Always good for a spot or a shout out of a quick cue if they see something off.

For the protein, I've been using True Nutrition's (https://truenutrition.com/) Beef Protein Isolate. I'll warn you it is an acquired taste I'm lactose intolerant and have made at least 3 or 4 diligent attempts at Whey Protein Isolate (multiple brands, with/without lactaid pills, etc.). While I don't get violently ill from it (with the lactaid) I immediately bloat up and just feel yucky (best word to describe). I did Vegan protein for a year or two, but it is super expensive and per Jordan....doesn't really have the Amino Acid profiles we are looking for. Jordan is the one who tipped me off to True Nutrition, which is where I found the Beef Protein. His feedback to my question was that Beef Protein is a good 2nd choice if you can't handle whey. Whey is still the best if you can do it through.

Nutrition Update:

-Weight: 213.5lb (a week ago Friday) ---> 208 (this Sunday am) - 5.5 lb down
    -Waist: 37.25 (a week ago Friday) ---> 36.5 (this Sunday am) - .75in reduction

-Hit my macros for 9 days.....First goal met (1 week down)! next big goal is to make it 21 days...then its a habit.
    -Hitting my BCAA targets as well
    -Added a fiber supplement due to my lack of veggies
    -Recovery feels good
    -No strength loss yet (thank god...its so early)
    -Appetite control getting much easier
    -I pee all day long though.... (is that manly enough...should I say piss).

Current Macros:
    P - 240
    C - 190
    F - 81
    Calories: 2450
    Note: Before a Squat or Press/Bench VD, I'll up Carbs a bit and offset Fats down...staying in the same calorie range

Karl wants to keep macros consistent for 1 more week, but if this week is a drastic a loss as last week we may add some carbs back in to slow down the loss a bit.

Tips I've learned
    - Eating out\Ordering In kills both my wallet & my macros
    - Boiled chicken, shredded with a fork, and then heavily seasoned + 1/2 T of Mayo + 2 toasted roll makes a great meal...with about 80 grams of protein and 60 grams of carbs...and still relatively low fat.

Not sure exactly where I want to land. Current thinking is to get to 190lb and maybe a 33 or 32.5 in waist. Getting blood work done in May, so once I hit 190....the blood work will be a big part of seeing if I go lower. Also curious how I'll look at 190.

1/31 – Week 86 - D2 (week 21 with Karl)

Squat 295x5
    DL 340x5 5 Rep PR! 2nd week (9 day week...of DL PRs)
    Chins 8,8,8
    CoC Trainer 3x5 (Right hand solid, left hand needed assistance on multiple reps)

Squats
    - i was definitely recovered going into this
    - Warms ups looked great
    - Wore singlet to truly assess depth
    - Workset was UGLY as SHIT....not sure what the hell went wrong
    - Depth was good...except possibly last rep. Knee slide seemed OK too...but need to rewatch.
    - I think I kept hitting the uprights, which caused me to tip forward...and then I lifted my head to compensate and keep my balance...on multiple reps....ugh
    - These were definitely hard, but maybe was due to losing hip drive with my head up
    - All other lifts are coming together, but I'm getting really frustrated with heavy squats....
    - I'm going to do 230x5x2...as I think I need the practice...and I do feel recovered

DL
    - These were hard, but not impossible. Plus I was not going to fail them...even if my back split in two...
    - I do think I held my back together pretty well over all
    - I had an exaggerated looking hip extension at the end...I don't think this was hitching...this was me making sure I locked these out (as my 295x1 warm up didn't lock out well)

Chins
    - These felt VERY strong, I cranked out the first 6 on each set NO PROBLEM, last 2 reps were fine
    - May have been 2 in shy from chin over the bar on very last rep...but this was after heavy squats & heavy DL and 2 sets of chins.... I probably just rushed my rest a bit (4 min rest..usually I super set between exercises so get like 15 to 20 min rest)

CoC Trainers
    - Right hand good, hard but fully closed the grippers
    - Left hand good for 2 reps each set, then had to assist with my right hand
    - But....this was after a DL PR & my 3x8 Chins....so probably had some grip fatigue
    - ON a Plus, I was able to do my 295x5 DL warm up with DOH....previous best was 275x1 for a full DOH DL

Nutrition still on point

2/1 – Week 86 - D3 (week 21 with Karl)

Bench 225x5 (15lb shy of 5 Rep PR Tie...slowly getting there)
    Squat 230x5x2
    Press 154x5x3 (5x3 PR! by 1.5lbs )
    Chins BW+5x5x3 (Chinning PR!...sort of, I did lose 6 lbs of BW )

Bench
    - Got lift off & Spot, made this 10X easier!
    - No problem at all, slowed down very slightly on last 2 reps
    - Forgot to click start on my video.....
    - I feel good about another 5lb jump...especially if I get a lift off for VD.
    - Used plates\boards under my felt...helped as well

Squat
    - These felt easy & I think looked pretty

Press
    - These were very hard...RPE 9.5 or 10 by last rep of each set
    - Lot of layback
    - Was worried about ROM (deep enough), but on my front angle video they looked fine
    - Focused on staying tight and using the rebound

Chins
    - Added 5lb + whatever the belt weights
    - These felt solid
    - I chose to do Chins again today, so that I could line up chins on my Non Pulling days. So it will be D1) Halting DL, D2) chins, D3) DL ID, D4) Chins (5 days between chins & 5 days between pulls)

Nutrition going well. Appetite is definitely shrinking.

2/4 – Week 87 - D1 (week 22 with Karl)

Squat 265x5x4
    Press 155x5,5,4 (5x2 PR....)
    Halting DL 280x8 (PR!)
    Last night: CoC Trainer's - 10 singles per hand, 1 triple per hand....easy on right hand, hard on left...holding back until left catches up

Squat
    - These weren't too hard or too easy
    - 5 min rest
    - Depth was solid on all reps! My new shorts help prove it...especially on the ipad...hard to tell with youtube video quality.

Press
    - These were very hard, my 145x1 warm up went very slow
    - Cheated first rep by mistake (bent knees)
    - Couldn't quite muster that 15th rep though....
    - Bit worried about over training on these, but let's see where I am at 5x5 day on Tuesday

Halting DL
    - These were hard...harder than usual. I think it was from all the other work today & possibly the CoCs last night
    - Focused on pushing the floor with my feet....to address my hitching problem

Nutrition still on track, but weight loss has slowed a lot. Although I have had a ton of salty food (middle-eastern & thai) this week...tomorrow is official weigh in / measurement day

Squat

Press Set 3 (only got 4 reps...but not for lack of effort!)

2/5 - Nutrition Update

- End of week 2 check in
    - 15 days tracking (6 more to go to hit my first goal of 3 weeks)

Weight:
    --1/20 213.5lb
    --1/27 208lb
    --2/5 207lb (down 1lb)

Waist:
    --1/20 37.25in
    --1/27 36.5in
    --2/5 36.25in (down .25in)

Navy Method
    -1/20 25% BF, 159.5 LBM
    -2/5 23% BF, 159.3 LBM (2% BF loss...although this is no where near that accurate I'm sure...)

No change to macros:
    P - 240
    C - 190
    F - 81
    Calories: 2450

Other Info
    - Keeping up with BCAAs
    - Getting plenty of sleep for once
    - No strength lose, set a DL PR last week & a 3x5 Press PR
    - Macro compliance has been +-5g for Protein, +-100 calories for Carbs & Fat which fluctuate slightly depending on training day or not & food choices

Lessons
    - Get at least 45g of Protein in, in the AM. Waited until 10:30am today to eat anything and was starving...blood sugar issue???
    - When eating beef or pork...really focus on trace fats in other foods...its easy to go over due to the higher fat content than chicken or my Beef Protein isolate
    - Use the Beef Protein Isolate as a filler...to make sure I always hit my numbers...also good for breakfast before work
    - Buy in bulk and cook in bulk. I've been cooking at least 1.5lb to 2lb of meat every time. usually enough for at least 2 to 4 meals.

Considering getting a Dexascan. karl is suggesting if I can afford it. May be good motivation...may also be depressing though!

Default Randy's Quest for 5/4/3/2

The accuracy of the navy bodyfat (or any really) method is not the point. I think the trend is more important. DEXA could be a waste of money, but maybe it'll be motivating for you? Personally I go by the navy method and a mirror.

Good work so far with 15 days of tracking! Keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    The accuracy of the navy bodyfat (or any really) method is not the point. I think the trend is more important. DEXA could be a waste of money, but maybe it'll be motivating for you? Personally I go by the navy method and a mirror.
    Agree Dexa would only be for motivation. right now, weekly check ins on weight/waist/neck..and then calculating BF% \ Lean Muscle Mass via navy method (along with the mirror, and eventually getting into my 34" and then 33" inch jeans) are more than good enough.

starting strength coach development program
    2/4 – Week 87 - D2 (week 22 with Karl)

Squat 235x5x2
    Press 147.5x5x5 (5x5 PR! Last cycle I fell short by 1 rep...and done at 7lb less bodyweight)
    CGBP - 200x6x3 (Possible PR...not sure, but definitely the most I've done in the past 9 to 12 months on CGBP)
    Chins BW+5x5x3

Squat
    - Easy & fast
    - Felt good
    - Depth was solid...using my singlet/compression shorts on VD & ID has helped tune my eye here. 2 reps look parallel, but I now feel confident, they were still legit...just had some bunching of the shorts here.

Press
    - Hard & tiring, especially the last rep of the last set.
    - Looking forward to 5 days rest and the nailing my 160x5 PR attempt

CGBP
    - No lift off
    - These were tiring, and had to grind on the last rep of each set

Chins
    - Much better ROM, especially on sets 1 & 2....got harder on set 3. But that was after a ton of upper body volume today

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast