starting strength gym
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy's Quest for 5/4/3/2

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Right.

You, Randy, are a Bad Man. As in a dangerous, strong futhermucker.

I've got some programming tricks up my sleeve. We'll try some stuff.

2/20 – Week 89 - D2.1 (week 24 with Karl)

Note: On the road this week, so mixing up my workouts a bit to fit it all into limited windows. Tonight I moved 2/3 of my Tuesday workout ahead 1 night.

Bench 230x5 (10lb shy of 5 Rep PR)
    Press 155x5x3 (I got 155x3x4, 155x2, 135x1)

Bench
    - Bench felt great...even with the shitty globo gym bar
    - Getting a lift off and staying tight made these pretty easy all in all
    - Definitely able to do another 5lb jump...just need to keep getting lift offs

Press
    -Ran out of gas so turned into triples...which were tough
    - Last set only got a double, then stripped 20lbs and did a hard rep at 135

Rest of Week
    - Tomorrow:Chins + volume Squats
    - Thursday: Supplemental Press + Halting DLs
    - Saturday: Press Volume + CGBP + Chins (maybe a 1x5 squat at 245...just to keep the blood moving...maybe even 2x3???)

Questions for Karl
    - Should I be worried about Press...i'm not down about it. Just wondering if this is a volume thing or just the facts of life when you are on a cut. Not that I will accept the failure, I'll keep pushing it.

2/21 – Week 89 - D2.2 (week 24 with Karl)

Squat walkout 315x5 seconds
    Squat 275x5x4
    Chins 10lbx4,4,4

Squats
    - work sets felt a little better after the walk out
    - focused on staying very tight through shoulders and back...helped it feel much better...not easy...but more confident
    - noticed i put my head too far down at first to compensate for lifting it later on...but that seems to be why I tip forward (and my big fear is not setting it down on the pins, it's losing it forward again)
    - focused on less head down and I felt much more in balance, which made grinding more about hard work and less about fear
    - is it optimal with my head...no...but it seemed to help here
    - i think depth was there...hard to tell with the baggy shorts, but i do believe it was there. My hips creases down about an inch or two where my pockets bunch up

Chins
    - ran out of gas for 3x5, but got some work in at least

also, I have a nasty cold which kept me up last night...so confidently knocking out volume squats was even more of a plus....I could have pussed out and taken a sick day...but did not!

thursday will be haltings and more presses and the. I'll be caught up for the weekend

I've been trying a new thing with my gaze recently too. I still look down, but I shift that point out a few feet further, maybe 10 feet in front of me? It's helping to keep me from tacoing in half and stay more upright.

2/23 – Week 89 - D2.3 (week 24 with Karl)

Press 155x5, 145x5, 135x5 prescribed. Got: 155x3x3, 145x5, 135x5
    Halting DL - 285x8
    Chins 3 sets of 5 (no weight)

Press
    - Ran out of gas again on my 155x5 set. But turned into to challenging sets of triples
    - 145x5 was hard but never in doubt
    - 135x5 was fine

Halting DL
    - DOH for 7 reps, then mixed for last rep
    - No video....technical issue.... so can't tell how much upper back was set. Was fine on warm ups.
    - These weren't heavy per se...but I was winded when done

Chins
    - My chins seem to have stalled, so I decided to add a few unweighted sets on alternating days to at least grease the groove a bit. These were hard, but good form & good ROM

Stlll feeling under the weather, but at least I got a good night sleep finally
    Definitely have some DOMS in my hamstrings, glutes, and adductors from Volume Squats. At least the DOMS is in the right places though...

I'm now caught up and ready for my next workout on Saturday. Hopefully will be through this cold be then.

Next Workout
    Press - 149x5x5
    CGBP - 205x6x3
    Chins BW+10lbx5x3 (repeat, haven't gotten it yet)
    Squats 320 Walkout for 5 count, 275x1, 285x1, 295x1....(this is a light squat day, but switching to singles to get ready for "heavier" singles next week)

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    I've been trying a new thing with my gaze recently too. I still look down, but I shift that point out a few feet further, maybe 10 feet in front of me? It's helping to keep me from tacoing in half and stay more upright.
    yeah...same thing here. But instead of tacoing, I just feel like I am going to fall on my face Karl did review my squats and said they looked a little better. Hopefully this holds steady.

2/25 – Week 90 - D1 (week 25 with Karl)

Squat - 275x1, 285x1, 320xwalkout, 295x1
    Press - 149x5x5 prescribed, 149x5x3, 149x4x2, 149x2
    CGBP - 205x6x3
    Chins 10lbx5x3

Squat
    - Forgot to do my walkouts until after my 2nd single
    - Depth good, but reps all felt heavy (I know, doesn't matter)....but felt much heavier than 275x5x4 which makes no sense
    - Did a 320 walkout for 10 count...felt ridiculously heavy
    - 295x1 felt better then the other 2 reps...walk outs do help

Press
    - Couldn't quite get last rep on sets 4 & 5. Made it up with a double after wards

CGBP
    - For the first time in a while, bench felt very heavy. Really had to work hard to get the last reps of each set
    - Got a lift off on set 3 which helped a bit....but still heavy. Wouldn't have gotten it without the lift off though
    - But...this was after 25 heavy press reps

Chins
    - These felt GREAT. All reps solid ROM
    - I think adding in the unweighted chins helped prevent detraining here. We should try that again

Recovery Notes
    - Still have the head cold. Not awful, but there.
    - NO SLEEP on Thursday night. youngest kid (almost 3) had an asthma attack (first time ever...big surprise for all of us). I was in the ER with him from Midnight til 4am. Then up to get the others to school at 6:30am.
    - Slept good last night, but I'm hoping that I am still under recovered and that is why things felt heavy today

Didn't include squat singles due to limit on 3 videos per post.

2/28 – Week 90 - D2 (week 25 with Karl)

Squat - 325 walkoutx3 count,305x1,1,2,2
    DL- 350x3,1,1
    Chins BWx6x3

Squat
    - First 2 singles felt good, so went for a double on 3rd set. 2nd rep parallel.
    - The double felt good, so went for it again in last set...that is the video below.
    - Did not focus on my head...which did pop up. Focused more on staying TIGHT and not tipping forward....doing those things helped my confidence which is my biggest goal right now

DL
    - Couldn't quite muster up 5 reps, but got 3. then got pissed, waited 90 seconds and tried for 2 more...only got 1....waited another 2 min and forced up a last single to get 5 total reps
    - Even with 350x3...this is PR

Chins
    - Did 3x6 to avoid detraining for my next weighted chin day

Did a bunch of CoC work afterwards
    - I can close the Trainer 14 times in my right hand, 7 times in my left
    - About 1/2 inch shy of closing the Level 1 in my right
    - Ordered a .5 ...which I betting I can close at least once with my right

Recovery Notes
    - Feeling more recovered (or at least I was before my workout
    - Forearms are jelly right now. and overally very tired
    - I had a large Jimmy John's turkey sandwich 1.5 hours before my workout....that helped. I did the same thing before my last Squat VD and that helped then too

Nutrition update tomorrow or Thursday - but I am back on track with macros after a shitty Sunday

Squat - Last Set

Dl - Set 1

DL - Set 3

Included extra DL videos...to prove this wasn't me quitting...I worked through and earned each rep!

I have been focusing a lot on the mental aspect of training...paced around in deep concentration listening to metallica before each set tonight.

3/1 Nutrition Update (3 days late in reporting)

- End of week 5 check in
    - 32 (out of 35) days or tracking & hitting macros
    - Next goal - 8 weeks (50% of the way there)

Weight:
    --1/20 213.5lb
    --1/27 208lb
    --2/5 207lb (down 1lb)
    --2/11 206.2 (down .8lb)
    --2/19 203.1 (down 2.1)
    --3/1 203.1 (no change)...see notes

Waist:
    --1/20 37.25in
    --1/27 36.5in
    --2/5 36.25in (down .25in)
    --2/11 TBD (accumeasure tape thingee broke...ordered new one). But I was down 1 notch on my 4in belt.
    --2/17 36.75in (new tapemeasure \ new baseline. I think I was cheating the old one a bit, can't cheat the new one as its one of those circumference measuring things)
    --3/1 36.5in (neck got thicker too ...not really. but along with my new baseline which was .5 in higher, my neck was .25 in higher..)

Navy Method
    -1/20 25% BF, 159.5 LBM
    -2/5 23% BF, 159.3 LBM (2% BF loss...although this is no where near that accurate I'm sure...)
    -2/11 skipped due to no waist
    -2/17 23.92%, 155.52 LBM
    -3/1 22.86% 156.6 LBM

Slight change to macros goals
    P - 240 - no change
    C - 215 (was 190)
    F - 70 (was 81)
    Calories: +-3% of 2449
    Swapping 25 of carbs in & 11 grams of fat out. Goal is to get more energy for training.

Macro compliance
    - 1/27 P - 241, C - 206, F - 78 - Calories 2555 (within 4.5% of target)
    - 2/5 P - 242, C - 189, F - 83 - Calories 2492 (within 2% of target)
    - 2/11 P - 243, C - 204, F - 75 - Calories 2485 (within 2% of target)
    - 2/17 P - 249, C - 200, F - 77 - Calories 2489 (within 2% of target)
    - 2/24 P - 245, C - 206, F - 86 - Calories 2586 (5.5% over target)

Other Info
    - Glad no change in weight due to the splurging I did on Sunday night (not reflect in these numbers...will in next weeks). Took a few days for the water weigh from the carbs/salt to leave my system
    - Ordered a new scale as my old one is acting funny...new baseline next week
    - Keeping up with BCAAs
    - multiple night of shitty sleep..including 1 night taking my almost 3 year old to the ER for his first asthma attack...scary...but he is fine. At Children's hospital (fortunately only about 16 blocks away...very quick drive) from Midnight til 4am

Lessons
    - Be careful with the sweets & salty food
    - even when splurging..make smarter choices (i.e., a steak & fries or sushi are better than tapas or a multiple cup cakes )

No update on dexascan...I may wait until I get to 15lb of weight loss and then go as a reward/more accurate gauge of how much more I need to lose.

starting strength coach development program
    3/2 – Week 90 - D3 (week 25 with Karl)

Press 162.5x5 prescribed. Got 162.5x3x2
    Bench 190x5x3
    Chins 12lbx5x3

Press
    - First set was very tiny bit knee bendy
    - Second set was solid...I debated going for 5 on the 2nd set...but hesitated to long as lost my mojo
    - Once again...a lot of this is mental. Cranked up the tunes and paced around between sets 1 & 2 and set 2 flew up there
    - Also, really focused on staying TIGHT and BIG BREATH on 2nd set

Bench
    - No Lift/No Spot....makes randy's bench feel harder
    - But we don't care about feelings and I got all reps
    - plus: found some worn out torn up old 20KG bumpers...perfect for under the feet. thicker than steel. And less slippery...and never in use

Chins
    - Supersetted these after Press and in between/after Bench
    - Arms were shot after this workout, tried to focus on engaging the lats more than the arms
    - ROM was iffy on set 3...first 2 sets were better....you call it

CoC
    - While not important...I did get my .5 and was able to close them with each hand. this should accelerate my goal of getting the 1st closed

Recovery Notes
    - Not squatting was good idea, I was starting to feel beat up a bit
    - Plan is to rest up a lot tomorrow and kill it on Saturday

Press Set 2

Chins Set 3 - worst ROM, others were better

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast