starting strength gym
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy's Quest for 5/4/3/2

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    5/12 Week 100 Day 3 (Week 35 with Karl)

Squat 340x1x5 Prescribed. 340x1x3, 315x1x2 (Still a Gym PR...10lb shy of my all time PR)
    DL 380x3 Prescribed. 380x0

Squat
    - 380x3sec walkout. Felt good to have 380 on my back. I like a bigger offset on the walkouts. Made worksets feel manageable.
    - 1st rep slightly high
    - Reps 2 & 3 good (I think)
    - Rep 4....got depth, but just didn't have the strength to get it up...gracefully set it on the pins...no big deal
    - Rep 5, & 6 - Stripped off 25lb and did 1 singles at 315....not easy, but not in doubt either
    - Proud of my self for going to failure and for still doing a few 3 plate singles afterwards..confidence has come a long way

DL
    - Last warm up at 335x1 felt fine, but didn't look great on video
    - 380x3 would not break off the ground
    - Back started to feel strained during squats...not pain...but fatigued as hell

Prowler
    - Added 35lb and went for 135lb on sled for 4x20yard. 1 min 40 sec rest
    - No major problem. Need to bring sneakers, hard to get good traction on that flooring with my chucks

Questions\Comments
    - I feel like I got hit by a freight train right now....1 hour later... TOTALLY fatigued
    - I know you are thinking a deload, but why deload vs reset for Squat and DL? I think we keep driving Presses up, we have barely started to taper Press & Bench ID
    - Do we go back to 285x5x4 Squat VD and shoot for 315x5 for my next Squat ID? I just got 310x5x4...although it seemed to take a toll...
    - And for DL, do we go back to 350x5 (my last 5 RM) or 355x5 (my first taper to triples)...and work on driving up 5s again for a while?
    - I'm fine if you want to deload, I just hate to waste 9 days deloading, only to inch out another cycle or 2 before we need to reset anyways...
    - But...your the pro, not me

5/13 Week 101 Day 1 (Week 36 with Karl)

Press 170x4 (Repeat of my Rep PR)
    Bench 202.5x5x3

Press
    - Started easy, but couldn't get the 5th rep past my nose. I think it got in front of me a bit.
    - Was really hoping to get 170x5 here, but given how my workout yesterday went...I am thrilled I did not regress here

Bench
    - No lift off
    - harder then they should have been
    - some elbow pain, but not awful
    - I tried flairing elbows a bit...didn't seem to make a difference. Video shows they are still very tucked in.

Questions\Comments
    - I'm fine if you want to try a deload next week. Maybe we do a few light days during the week and start Squat Volume again on Saturday or Sunday?
    - Should we change anything else or just deload and repeat this last cycle weights again? Or do we drive up squat to 315x5x4...and repeat 340x1x5?
    - Press has 2 cycles in a row of 170x4. Bench has 1 cycle of 250x3x2. Should we just try to taper these and run them out as triples and then singles? I am actually setting 5 Rep PRs on Squat...on volume day now...so maybe that is how we need to treat press/bench give my shitty genetics?
    - Whatever we do...let's leave the prowler in. I enjoy it and want to work on conditioning
    - I also need to get back on track macro wise....I feel/look bloated and lethargic. Need to watch the gluten. and need to make sure I am getting protein macros in.

next workout will be Monday night, in case you are pressed for time this weekend (no pun intended )

5/1 Week 101 Day 2 (Week 36 with Karl)

DELOAD Week - Workout 1 of 3

Bench - 75% of e1RM (275) for AMRAP
    ---Got 205x7 RPE 7. Could have likely gotten 10 reps, but no spotter/no safety

Standing Dumbbell Press 3x12 RPE 6
    ---Got 35x12..RPE 6, 40x12x2 RPE 7.5 (Looking back, should have stuck with 35lb....40 wasn't hard at all...but got tiring by the later reps....not used to anything above 6 reps...!)

Pendley Rows - 3x10 RPE 6
    ---Got 135x10x3 - RPE 7 (got a little tiring by later reps, but not hard at all...slight low back burn...good burn, not bad)

Curls 3x10 RPE 7
    ---Got EZ Curl Bar + 40lbs for 10x3 RPE 8.5 (got harder by later reps)

In and out in 45 min, could have been quicker but I had no where to go so took my time

At a conference in Orlando Conv Center...so lots and lots of walking too. But I did get to see Michelle Obama and George W speak live today, so that was cool.

5/17 Week 101 Day 3 (Week 36 with Karl)

DELOAD Week - Workout 2 of 3

Squat 70% of e1RM (350...also real 1RM PR) for 2 sets of 5
    ---Got 245x5x2
    ---No problems, a little winded actually
    ---got on my toes a bit, but overall was fine
    ---bar speed fine
    ---5 min rest w\ some DL warm ups supsersetted in between

DL 70% of e1RM (412) for 2 sets of 5
    ---Got 290x5x2
    ---Got winded again, but bar speed was fast
    ---Did this on an Ohio Deadlift Bar....not used to using an OPB for deads.,..thought my skin was going to rip off probably made lockouts a little uglier
    ---Not hard, except on the hands

Hanging Knees to Elbows 4x10
    ---Got 4x10...but did it in that standing arm chair thingee
    ---EASY

Prowler (my own additional )
    ---Rogue prowler + 90lbs on a 30 years of turf x 4 runs, 1 min 40 rest
    ---H..O..L...Y....S...H...I...T....I think my chest still hurts
    ---The extra 10 years and the difference between turn & concrete (20 years + concrete at B&W) made this about a factor of 10 harder

Question:
    - Can you post my 1st workout of next week by Saturday? I will probably lift Sun, Tue, and thur next week...gracias senior

Prowler distance...if you can gauge...I guessed at 30 yards

I actually hated/loved the murder bar for deads. I own my own OHP, which I used to bring to the gym Long story, but I don't bring anymore. So I just wasn't used to it. And never used the deadlift version which is a little thinner...plus I bet no one at this gym uses it, so it had all the bite of being fresh out of the packaging!

5/19 Week 101 Day 4 (Week 36 with Karl)

DELOAD Week - Workout 3 of 3

Press 75% of e1RM (192) for AMRAP
    ---Got 145x7, RPE 7.5 (could have maybe got 2 or 3 more reps)
    ---Tried the approach of laying back on the eccentric motion...how'd I do?

CGBP 3x8 RPE 6
    ---Got 185x8x3
    ---started off RPE 6, but wasn't used to 8s so got harder by end...never in doubt and bar speed looked quick (for me). Probably RPE 7.5 (definitely 2 more reps, maybe 3)
    ---Tried to really focus on leg drive and not touching so low...letting elbows flair a little
    ---elbows fine as this point

Lat Pull Downs - (Pull Up style grip, bar in front)
    ---Got 100x12x3
    ---First 8 reps each set easy, then it was #feeltheburn

Tricep Pushdown
    ---40x10, 50x10x2
    ---Misread reps...so f-ed up and didn't do the 3x15
    ---40x10 easy, 50x10 easy until last few reps...#feeltheburnrepeated #destroythosetris

Question\Comments
    ---Still feeling a little beat up, but much better than I have been. I also have had a very busy\moderately stressful work week
    ---I should be good to go by Sunday though
    ---I do plan to lift next on Sunday AM, so will need just that days programming

5/21 Week 102 Day 1 (Week 37 with Karl)

Note: This end of this week will mark my 2 year anniversary or my first training session (preceded by about 5 months of uninformed messing around)

Squat - 300x5x4
    Press - 140x5x3
    Rack Pulls - 360x5

Squat
    - 350x3s walkout
    - Overall sets felt good, depth started to creep up on later reps
    - Filmed first set from my right (high) side and it was slightly high
    - Head position good on most reps, worse as sets progressed
    - Biggest challenge is conditioning...very hard to catch breath on later reps
    - 8 to 10 min rest

Press
    - No problem
    - 3 to 4 min rest

Rack Pulls
    - Nothing to note

Question\Comments
    ---We definitely need to tackle conditioning more, I think that is one of my biggest issues
    ---Heart rate still slightly elevated even after 3 hours from workout, otherwise body feels good
    ---Had a VERY painful sports massage yesterday, so was probably still under recovered coming into this session
    ---How is depth on squats...it is hard for me to tell.

Set 4

Set 2

5/23 Week 102 Day 2 (Week 37 with Karl)

Bench - 215x5x5
    CGBP - 195x6x3
    Rows - 155x8x3 (target was RPE 8 for 3x8)

Bench
    - No lift off
    - Overall felt fine. Seemed heavy....always does...but bar moved fast. Focused on leg drive
    - Tried to flare arms...didn't really work...motor pattern is pretty ingrained by now
    - 5 min rest

CGBP
    - Easy, slight slow down on reps 5 & 6...but no problem at all
    - 6 min rest, but supersetted rows (cgbp...rest 3 min...rows...rest 3 min....cgbp...rest 3 min...etc.)

Rows
    - I did 135x10x3 on my deload week and that seemed like a 7.5...so I went for 155x8x3 today
    - not hard at all, but first 2 sets felt rushed and back wasn't set very well
    - Tried to really clean it up on the last set

Question\Comments
    ---How do the ROWs look? What should I change?
    ---Did the Rows look like an RPE 8?
    ---If all goes well, I will get a session in on Thurs or Fri and then want to do another one on Sunday....so if you could plan out the Bench ID, that would be great

Bench - Side View - Set 1

CGBP - Front View - Set 1

Rows - Set 3

5/26 Week 102 Day 3 (Week 37 with Karl)

Squat - 325x3,2 prescribed. Got 325x2x3 (PR Doubles!)
    DL - 360x3 prescribed. Got 360x2
    Prowler - Sled+180lb on concrete. 15ish yards x 5 sets EMOM

Squat
    - Warm ups felt great, but cut depth on my 315x1 (last single)
    - 365 x 3sec walkout
    - 325x3 - Stupid high...I wussed out. got really pissed off, rested 2.5 min and got a solid double
    - Got 2 more doubles
    - Head position sucked on most reps, but by the last set...I just kept saying "hips...hips....hips..." to myself. it helped. need to do that more
    - No reason to get video of the high triple, but posting each of the others for depth checks

DL
    - Not much to say, was harder than it should have been.

Prowler
    - This is the first time using the prowler at B&W that i really felt it. I think the concrete + shorter distance made it too easy.
    - Increasing to 180lb and switching to EMOM helped get the heart rate up...nothing as hard as the last time on turf (at gym in Florida).
    - I think we should keep adding 1 push until we get to 10 or so (of whenever you tell me to stop).
    - Also, need to bring regular sneakers...hard to get traction in my chucks

Questions\Comments
    - What should we change on DL? My thought was kill the Rack Pulls, but up to you.
    - How far do you think the prowler push is (see video below)
    - You OK with my plan for prowler, 180lb and add 1 run each time...EMOM?
    - Don't forget to log Bench ID for Sunday. And then next week it will be Tue, Thur, Sat or Sun

Macros
    - Back on my macros...into day 2
    - I need to go back to solid gluten free...gluten & refined carbs kill my ability to control my appetite. Even 24 hours of gluten free and appetite control is much better
    - Saw dr...blood pressure high...129 over 88 and resting heart rate high...94bpm need to get this weight under control
    - lab results coming soon.. I did ask to get T levels checked, just for shits & grins

First double

3rd double

5/28 Week 102 Day 4 (Week 37 with Karl)

Bench - 240x5
    Press 145x5x3
    Curls - 45x10x3

Bench
    - Felt heavy, but moved decently. Probably RPE 8.5 (I'm trying out RPE for ID sets)

Press
    - Felt VERY heavy and bar speed slowed down, RPE 8.5 (1st set), 9, 9.5
    - 5 min rest, supersetted curls while resting

Curls
    - Standing with Empty 45lb bar
    - Easy, slight burn on last few reps of last set

Note:
    - Some inner elbow pain again which flared up after bench. Probably contributed to making press harder
    - I think the elbow pain was caused by non lifting stuff. And then aggravated by the bench. I played a bunch of street hockey & lacrosse yesterday (first time in years). Last time I golfed, I had the same probably with my elbows. I also helped my father in law move patio & scrub down patio furniture for 2 hours right before going to the gym
    - I have been taking Aleve and plan to rest a lot tomorrow (with a cigar, some margaritas, and some steaks....)!
    - On a positive, I did not get nearly as winded on the street hockey as I expected. And I had more energy all weekend long.
    - I think the prowler plus the gluten free is helping a lot.

Questions
    - None really, let's not change much on bench\press...lets see how some rest does and go from there.

starting strength coach development program
    5/30 Week 103 Day 1 (Week 38 with Karl)

Squat 305x5x4 (5lb shy of 5 Rep PR tie)
    Press 145x5x3
    Halting DL 305x8 (PR Tie...I think)

Squat
    - 355x3s walkout
    - Most reps perfect depth, a few later reps very slightly high
    - 8 min rest
    - Head position decent on earlier reps, got worse on reps 4/5
    - Every time I went into the hole, I said "HIPS" to myself...it helped I think
    - Put a red KG plate in front of the rack as an aid for my eye gaze

Press
    - Not easy, but better than last time. Never in doubt
    - Got easier as the sets went on, likely due to more time to recovery to the squats

Halting DL
    - Very tiring, was totally spent by this point in time
    - These looked very ugly to me, but I got them done

Note:
    - Feeling\looking very bloated, due to lots of salty food last few days....but...
    - I have continued to stay gluten free and feel better from it
    - I am a little worried that spreading conditioning out to once every 9 days on Squat ID means I will detrain a little bit on it....thoughts? I know...I'm obsessed with conditioning...I think I just want to feel more energy and think this will help. I know that losing 30lbs will help the most...which I am working on.
    - Not getting crazy on macros yet, really focused on 2 solid weeks of gluten free...once that habit is established, I'll start counting macros more diligently

Set 1 - best set

Press Set 3

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast