starting strength gym
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Randy's Quest for 5/4/3/2

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This log is a one-sided conversation.

Yes....it certainly is. I like to keep people guessing as to your responses to my questions And...I'm too lazy to rewrite my logs....

7/29 Week ? (lost count...) Day 3 (Week 46 with Karl)
    Medium Day

Squat ReLP 210x5x3
    Press 150x5x3
    Rows 185x8x3 PR!

Squats
    - Felt & looked better than the 205 sets
    - But I felt like i was tipping forward...and even had to take a step on one rep
    - Focused less on chest down after that and more on hips down...which helped the last set
    - 5 min rest

Press
    - Bar felt like it got in front of me a few times
    - I am trying to the layback on the eccentric but it threw my balance off...so i am going back to what I know works for me
    - 6 min rest

Rows
    - Focused on gut through the knees to set lower back more, seemed to make the reps easier
    - Then I got confused on set 3...and almost thought I was doing haltings....so it was a halting to a Row on rep 1...whoops

Comments\Questions
    - Thoughts on tipping forward on squats?
    - Does the knee cave look better? Still there slightly, but seemed to be much better to me
    - For next week...how do you want to program Heavy Press...repeat 157.5x5x4 and see if I can get it all? I think we should try again. But give me a back up plan if I don't get it.
    - And let's micro load curls, bench, and rows still...that seems to be working. My VD Bench is 232.5x5x3 (or 5x5...not sure)...and we are going to 230x5x4...so getting close to some volume PRs...woohoo! And at 16lb less bodyweight!!!

8/1 Week ? (lost count...) Day 1 (Week 47 with Karl)
    Heavy Day

Squat ReLP 215x5x3
    Press 157.5x5x4 Volume PR!!! WOOOOO!
    DL 340x5 5lb shy of 5 Rep PR Tie

Squats
    - Felt good, more balanced
    - Looked good from the side views...very minor knee cave on a few reps
    - Definite knee cave on set 3...filmed from behind...
    - A little tiring...but only when I'm deep in the hole, which I hope means I am working those muscles....
    - Pleasantly surprised with my narrower grip and bar placement as filmed from behind...
    - 5 min rest

Press
    - Had to get really pumped for these, was totally IN THE ZONE
    - Also, I tend to get very slight knee bend when I don't really focus on it
    - Grip felt great for once...need to remember what I did....next time
    - How about that 20th rep....I wasn't going to fail this!
    - 8 min rest, 10 min before set 4....but supersetted DL warm ups too

DL
    - Starting to get a little heavier...but overall no major problem
    - form got sloppier as sets went on, but nothing awful

Comments\Questions
    - Thoughts on knee cave on squats?
    - How's my head position and Hip Drahve???
    - Side note: My 3rd belt hole is now very comfortable....can't quite squeeze into my 4th one yet...but hopefully in a week or two

For anyone following along as I rebuild my squat...here are the other 2 videos. Even compared to my 225x5x3 sets 1 week ago...this is HUGE improvement. KNEES OUT!!!!

Also, side note on my Press Volume PR. This is 16lb down and 10 weeks into my cut. #THEROBERTSANTANA rocks!

8/31 Week ? (lost count...) Day 2 (Week 47 with Karl)
    Light Day

Squat ReLP 220x5x3
    Bench 230x5x4 Prescribed. Got 230x5,5,4,5,1
    Curls 3xAMRAP...Got 70x12x3
    Prowler sled+180x1 lap, 1.5laps, 1.5 laps again

Squats
    - Didn't wear my tights so depth is harder to gauge...which is a bad sign. but I firmly believe all reps are legit depth.
    - Knee cave again...fuck.
    - tipping forward again, need to work on hips back.
    - did I fail to impress you Are we repeating???

Bench
    - No lift on sets 1 and 2...barely got set 2 rep 5 back in the uprights..I'm sure it was ugly as shit
    - Lift off on 3 and 4...easier, but not easy by rep 5
    - Focused on the trick to make bar path come towards shoulder...made it MUCH easier...until I slammed into the uprights and had to get the spotter to help me...whoops
    - Still got my 20 reps, waited 3 minutes and did a single at the end...SUPER easy (with lift off)
    - I think this was just a fluke...with a lift off on all sets and better bar path, these would have been fine

Curls
    - Not much to say...slight cheating on last few reps of last set

Prowler
    - I didn't die...actually not too hard...but I am being careful to not add reps overall...as to not steal my recovery capacity

Comments
    - Pissed about squats...how am I failing to keep knees out on 220!!!! What the f...
    - Happy that my Press & Bench are climbing while on the cut. Bench 3x5 PR is 232.5...only 2.5lb away!
    - Cut going very well. I'm on my 3rd day of 1880 calories #embracethehunger I was down to 198.5lb this AM and am expecting even lower tomorrow.
    - But...I can feel myself getting more tired during my workouts. Been taking GU...2 or 3 packets during my workout...that stuff is like a miracle food.... RP diet protocols are no joke. (I do count the macros of course)

8/6 Week ? (lost count...) Day 3 (Week 47 with Karl)
    Medium Day

Squat ReLP 220x5x3 repeat
    Press 150x5x3
    Rows 187.5x8x3 PR!

Squats
    - Compression shorts dirty, so wore my singlet
    - Knee cave looks much better, but maybe its the angle???
    - Depth seems solid on all reps to me. Even the closer ones are below parallel....I think
    - focsed on leaning over much more
    - 5 min rest
    - Much easier than last time by the way...not sure why

Press
    - Medium day press is pretty much consistently hard now.... I assume its the cut....+ feelings don't matter
    - Still get some mild knee bend on the eccentric of some heavier reps. So long as it is not major and never on the first rep...I'm not sweating it.

Rows
    - Took off the t-shirt...just to see what I really look like. video & photos don't lie...mirrors do.
    - I clearly still need to lose another 20 or more pounds
    - But...I am thinning out and starting to see some definition in my back, shoulders, and arms...that's real nahce

Questions\Comments
    - Squats???? Can we move up now
    - Programming for next week....on vacation in Michigan...renting a house. workouts may happen on diff days
    - IF.....I can't get a decent spotter at the gym in Michigan....what should I do for bench? 205x5x4? 205x5x5?
    - For Heavy Press....157.5x5x4 took 2 workouts and was definitely an RPE 10. Should I just shoot for 160x20...in as few sets as possible? And then we repeat until I can get 4x5? I like sticking with 5ives (see what I did there) for now. Gives me volume for the cut, hypertrophy, and strength.
    - Weigh in tomorrow. 4 weeks left until end of cut #1...hoping for 197 tomorrow..which should position me very well for hitting my 190lb goal.

8/8 Week ? (lost count...) Day 3 (Week 48 with Karl)
    Heavy Day

Squat ReLP 225x5x3
    Press 160x5x4 Prescribed. Got 160x4,3,4,3,3 Still a Volume PR though... Best I've had before was 160x3x2
    DL 345x5 5 Rep PR tie!

Squats
    - Depth was solid on all reps
    - Knee cave didn't seem too bad...you judge
    - Possibly knee slide on a few?
    - Not bent over enough
    - upped rest from 5 min to 7 min this time

Press
    - Ran out of gas...see Notes
    - Still managed to get my 20 reps though...Let's repeat next week and see if I can get it in less sets

DL
    - Very rushed...gym was closing in 3 minutes....
    - Wasn't going to fail these...but back not set great on last rep

Notes:
    - Blew my macros on Sunday...BBQ with friends...ate a bunch of shit food...1000 calories over target.
    - Ate gluten which is like crack for me, ended up sneaking in some bad food yesterday and today...overall calories on par last 2 days...but carb heavy/protein light....
    - About 5 lb up in weight (water weight)...been drinking water like a crazy person to debloat
    - Tonights started at 8:30pm...after a business dinner....so I felt like shit the whole time...tired, full, bloated still...stomach mildly upset....
    - But...I got it done. And my shitty feeling during my workout is further motivation to stick to my macros & the foods that work for me....I could choose to be fat, uncomfortable, unhealthy, with slower gains...or chose to be thinner, healthier, feel 1000 times better, and get better gains....hmm....where those pita chips really worth it???

Note: These are from my "higher" side. From the left side are all about 2 to 3 in deep.

Just back from vacation. First of 3 postings:

8/8 Week ? (lost count...) Day 2 (Week 48 with Karl)
    Light Day

Squat ReLP 230x5x3
    Bench 232.5x5x4 Prescribed, No spotter...went for 215x5x5 instead
    Curls 75x3xAMRAP, got 75x9x3
    Prowler - Skipped....was taking too long at gym and kids were antsy to get to the beach

Squats
    - Depth good...other problems still lingering...not bent over enough, slight knee slide, slight knee cave....but I did get depth
    - Film angle not great...best I could do in this gym
    - These do not feel light like a deload...but each workout feels the same....no better/no worse...so I am taking that as a good sign.
    - Rested 7 min

Bench
    - No videos, not much to say...didn't want to try 8s without a spotter or with out lowering weights too much.
    - 4 to 5 min rest

Curls
    - I shrug my right shoulder for some reason....not sure why
    - Not much else to add

starting strength coach development program
    8/13 Week ? (lost count...) Day 3 (Week 48 with Karl)
    Medium Day

Squat ReLP 235x5x3
    Press 152.5x5x3
    Rows 190x8x3 PR!

Squats
    - Depth good...knee slide & knee cave a little better, but still needs work.
    - Rested 7 min

Press
    - Felt surprisingly easy and fast. last 2 reps of last set slow....but bar got in front of me (not on video below)
    - Squeezed into 4th hole on my bet 1 more hole and we get a belt PR tie. 2 more holes a legit Belt PR is that such a thing????!!!!
    - 5 to 6 min rest

Rows
    - First set needed 2 short (3 second rest breaks...hands on the bar though), better 2nd set, no rest during 3rd set...just manned up and did it.
    - Fast (I think)...I'm hoping for a minimum of 200x8x3 before tapering...maybe more.
    - I also think I am starting to look skinnier doing these

Comments
    - Still on vacation, 1 more vacation workout coming.
    - Robert gave me a throwaway week for macros, but overall I am still averaging 2200 calories a day...not the 1880 prescribed...but by no means am I losing control. Just loosening up to enjoy a dessert with the kids or not freak out if the wife wants us to grill hot dogs for dinner.

Says Press...meant Rows

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast