starting strength gym
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Manimal's Over-Analyzed Intermediate Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    BW 198. My roommate is moving so we went out and celebrated. i ate a stromboli as long as my arm. I can forgive myself this once.

Squats felt fine but I could certainly tell it had been a while. The fatigue was quick as was the soreness. My form felt good and I didnt really feel rusty though. Thank you Friday! Heavy Volume Complete. Emphasizing spreading the floor has created such doms in my ass and hamstrings. I love the solid feeling.

Squat

135x5
    185x5
    225x2
    275x1
    295x1
    315x5x3

I did manage to work on some bench. Super slow deliberate effort with a long pause in the bottom. I felt it, even if it was just 135. Shoulder felt pretty good, especially when i touched across my nipple line vs lower.

Bench

95x5
    135x5x3

All accessory work done very slow and deliberate as well. Emphasis on the squeeze.

Rows 80x8x3

Lat Pulls 80x8x3

Face Pulls 42.5x8 42.5x6x3 Jumped these too early. Much harder with the hard squeeze and pause.

I miss the shit out of doing chin ups, totally my favorite movement.

BW 197

Skipping today. I cant do any pressing movements, and I have no motivation to go just squat 245. I went climbing yesterday so the missed back workouts are negligible. I am actually ridiculously sore from climbing, and tell my forearms that DOMS doesn't mean a good workout lol. I will be doing my rehab stuff at home.

BW 198

Spent the entire weekend helping my roommate move out. Note to anyone, do not try and move things in the south in the middle of summer in the middle of the day. I was not expecting it to be so damn hard. Some kind of applicable training there I guess that doesnt make me feel like total crap for missing Friday. Waiting till Wednesday since school is back in so that I can focus my training around the weekend. Rehab was going well but moving has set it back for sure. Began rehab again today hoping for a quick recovery.

Bw 197

Had to lift today, too much training and after school stuff to do tomorrow. My training has been so mixed up I decided to make this week an intensity week. It's been a month since I've squatted heavy and I needed to make sure I could still push it. I felt great and pushed hard. Had a lot more but had no reason to go there.

Shoulder still feels mostly shitty. It doesn't seem to be exacerbated by slow deliberate efforts. I managed to do some benching today and a few slow pullups as well. I think I will try pressing next time. didn't do rehab at the gym but I will be here.

Squat
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x1
    315x1
    335x1
    365x3
    315x3

bench all slow all reps paused
    95x5
    135x3x2
    155x3x2
    185x3

pullups
    BWx2x6

rows
    85x8x3

face pulls
    50x6x2
    42.5x8

BW 197

Went and watched the huge meet at Atlanta Barbell today. That place is amazing, not a beater bar in the whole place. Was not expecting there to be so many lifters so I neglected my nutrition and water before lifting after the meet. Still managed a good day. Just realized it has been 2 weeks since I've done any pulls. Fuck this shoulder throwing all of my programming off. I was so mad when i found out. pulled 365 again as a repeat, lucky day to hit it. Learned to front squat in that I attempted them. I kept feeling as if i was going to fall forward. Most importantly I FUCKING PRESSED!!!! It felt good too. So happy. Easily my favorite movement and I hit it strong. Slow and deliberate no bounce just as I have been doing bench. My shoulder actually feels better than before I did them. So happy to have them back in.

Front Squats
    135x2x3

DL
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x1
    315x1
    335x1
    365x3 hook only the first one super week hook today. Supinate left arm for the last 2.

Press

65x3
    85x3
    115x3
    125x3
    135x3
    155x3

BW 197 Diet going well, just salting the shit out of my food to not feel fucked up.

Volume week started. Back on the proper week days for lifting so I hope with no planned distractions that I can keep most away until I move a month from now.
    Intensity set for squats at 375. 375x.9=337.5 which is ridiculously high. I decided on 325 which is ~87% so Im still over the 85% mark. Friday I will do 295 which is also a bit low at ~79%. Still 12,2250lbs of relevant tonnage vs TM ~8450lbs. No set programming for bench or press yet. Just going to do the movements slow etc etc to a comfortable level. I did attempt to do some actual sets across on bench but it might have been a bit much. Pausing everything and slowing it down greatly reduces the poundages that can be used.

Squats (pretty easy except for my form being off slightly and out of the groove)

135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x1
    315x1
    325x5x3

Bench all 3+ sec pauses
    95x5
    115x3
    135x2
    155x1
    185x3
    185x5x2

lat pull downs
    100x8x3 need to greatly up the weight. Not sure why these dont hurt at all and pull ups do.

Rows
    85x8x3

Facepulls
    42.5x6x3

Gym was super busy since I got there late. Have to do some kind of pulling work on Friday and most likely some RDLS or something on Sunday.

BW 197 Doing well at 2000ckals/day going and able to afford some reasonable protein to hit that number. Cant really go up from there so there it stays.

Long first week back at school. Today is light volume day so I decided to try front squats again. I think I finally got them figured out. Messed around for 30 minutes or so today looking like a fool. I still needed to press and didn't want to over occupy the squat rack so I moved on. I practiced racking the bar in between press sets. Pressing wider feels so much different than the narrow grip. This feels much more appropriate. I did a pseudo work up and did 3 sets of across. Overemphasized form although I did use the bounce reflex. Played around mostly today testing out some exercises that I feel might address some missing pieces in my chain. Shoulder is getting there, but it likes to let me know that its still an issue.

Front Squats
    95x5
    135x1 x2 x1 ....No clue how many singles etc I tried

Press
    65x5
    95x3
    115x1
    135x5x3 wasn't sure where to start some sort of LP this is definitely low but close enough

RDLs
    135x5x5 wanted to overemphasize a low number to make sure I dont start too high. This was way low, thinking 155 which i could potentially use for barbell rows too.

pull ups...
    BWx2x3 did a couple doubles, didnt want to push it. Didn't feel bothersome but I've learned my lesson.

lateral raises? (hold dumb bells and raise them out to the side with palms facing down)
    attempting to hit all angles of my shoulder with some hypertrophy type work. Support is support and 15lbs was way to damn heavy to not add this in from time to time.
    15x6x3

BW 196 very little sleep, totally not motivated, clut out most of the overhead work and back to to give some rest. Most likely going to keep a press centered program to help shoulder help and prepare for a squat press pull meet in march/april.

Squats, squats feel amazing right now from an effort standpoint. I feel like I have so much power out of the hole. Confident these will keep moving for a while with little help.
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x1
    295x5x5 took 3 minutes at most rest to add a conditioning component to these. Got what I was after lol

Power Cleans, ladied up and tried them again today (the best oly lifters at my gym are women). 55lbs like a fucking failed toddler. I am confident I am able to properly rack them, its just going to take a shit load more practice.
    I'm certain I am not arm pulling, but I am not keeping my shoulders internally rotated to prevent elbow break. the bar is pretty wild but i think that will control with heavier weights. Really need to focus on my elbows getting up and pushing them in (also tied to failure to keep shoulders internally rotated). My balance isnt that great upon landing, I am not trusting the bar to sit in my finger tips and cranking on my wrists which is also contributing to my fucked up elbows. All in all my rack position is shit and needs lots of work. I was surprised at how high I can jump though, so I got that going which is nice...

196, ate 2k before going to the gym. Probably helped me through today. Not a bad policy I guess to help on intensity days. I even sweat less strangely. I still ate 1.5lbs of chicken for second dinner to help hit protein totals.

squats
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x1
    315x1
    335x1
    375x3

Ohp, tweaked the shit out of my neck and im stiff as a board right now. think its agrevating the shoulder too. might end up regreting this workout.

65x5
    95x3
    115x1
    135x1
    155x1
    170x2

lat pull downs
    70x3
    85x2
    100x2
    120x8x2
    140x6

rows
    85x8x3

facepulls
    42.5x8x2
    50x8

lateral raises
    15x8x3

starting strength coach development program
    BW 194, (193 yesterday) sudden BW drop usually means I'm super low on carbs and a shit training day is coming...

Today was shit, went in to DL and left without a single rep at my working set. All kinds of analysis is going off in my head. Is it carb related due to the sudden drop? Am I pulling too infrequently and is the volume work I'm doing heavy enough to contribute anything? If so when will it contribute? Did trying to use straps mess me up? Did not squatting first create warmup issues?

Too many questions to answer at once. Depsite the carbs, I'm going to be looking over the programs intensity week placements and volume week heaviness. Other than that my shoulder felt ok, I backed off benching since 135 didnt feel good but I did find that I can use the bench machine. I started doing the agile 11 yesterday and I felt pretty good after, will continue these to keep proactive.

DL
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x1
    315x1
    335x1
    375x0x2 neither attempt fruitful, 1 with straps 1 without.
    315x3 hook grip

Bench
    95x5
    135x3
    130x8x3 machine

tricep pushdowns
    65x8x3

lat pull downs
    120x8x3

farmers walks, been meaning to make these more consistent I think they will find a spot after DLs on intensity week
    85x3 for about 40 feet each

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast