Thread: chromoly the intermidiot

Default Sunday 8/27/17

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    BW 136.5 in gear

Front Squats
    5 x 3 x 155 @ 8, 8, 8.5, 9, 10
    Getting hard by the end to keep my chest up and not dump the bar.

Bench
    5 x 85 @ 8
    5 x 90 @ 8
    3 x 5 x 95 @ 8, 8, 8
    3 x 5 x 80
    Getting back in the bench groove. Decided to suck it up and deload because RIP upper body lifts. Have to think about alternative programming soon.

Deadlifts
    3 x 5 x 185
    double overhand

Bouldering
    1 x V0
    3 x 1 x V1
    The second one took me multiple tries
    5 x 0 x V2
    Grip was too tired, couldn't hold on to the hand holds.

I successfully jumped down from the top of the wall, not once but TWICE. Apparently I am a natural at climbing, say my roommates. I move well on the wall, I just didn't have the grip strength today.

Signed up for an intro to climbing class next weekend. Stay tuned for more hilarious antics

New username: Climb-oly.

I seem to remember that Sheldon Cooper discovered a useful method to get down from the climbing wall...

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    I'm jealous of that rock wall thing. I can't get motivated to do pull ups, but I could get motivated to fuck around climbing walls, given time and access
    My daughter did when she was ages 7-12. Got pretty serious.
    Coach (person who "ran" the wall) was a hippie or sorts . . .which, in this case, was a good thing.
    We/they/us would go out climbing on real rock faces. Daughter gained appreciation for nature / outdoors.

I suck at pull ups. Strength to weight ratio all fucked up.
    The trick is to keep your COM close to the wall; you have to open up your hips big time to stay close.
    Although I'm somewhat limber for an old guy, I could never do it very well.

Highly recommend for anyone. Great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    I came this close to buying a bunch of holds and building a bouldering wall in her room above her bed . . .

Default Thursday 8/31/17

Today everything felt heavy and really shitty. I didn't even bother to step on the scale because I knew it would be depressing. At this rate I might compete as a light 60 kg lifter for the Fall Classic.

High bar squat
    3 x 195 @ 7.5 but the bar was rolling down my back so I racked it
    5 x 195 @ 8.5
    4 x 195 @ 9 rolling bar again
    3 x 195 @ 9.5
    I like high bar, except it moves fast until all of a sudden it doesn't move fast. Maybe I just don't have a good sense of heavy high bar reps yet. Last set I switched to thumbs around the bar grip to mitigate bar roll, it worked pretty well.

Press
    5 x 5 x 70 @ 10, 8, 8, 8, 9
    3 x 5 x 60
    First set was so much harder because who the fuck knows. By the time I realized I should've lifted heavier I was already done with 2 sets... So rather than add weight to the bar, I just added moar volume.

Raw raw deadlift
    2 x 3 x 245 @ 9.75, 10 on the RPE Flat Back scale
    3 x 215 @ oops meant to do 5x210 but misloaded
    3 x 210

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Sounds like high bar is a lot like CGBP. Little bit longer ROM, more reliance on the knee/elbow (mid limb) extensors, fails quicker and sometimes unexpectedly. Makes sense. I've been training CGBP for a while, and I've got the sense for when it will fail. I reckon you'll do the same with HBBS.
    Yeah, I think that's exactly it. The mechanics of high bar make it more difficult for me to just muscle through. When/if I do fail a rep, I will have a reference point for what is a real RPE 10 instead of "well, I think this is @10 but I don't know."

Learned how to climb with a rope yesterday, both climbing and belaying. Fun times.

Intended to train today, but due to a series of unfortunate events, my middle finger is possibly broken. I skipped the ER (why should I pay $100+ just to wait, have them x-ray, and send me home with a splint and ice either way?) and got a splint. The bright side is that it's my left (non-dominant hand) middle finger, so it looks like I'm flipping you off all the time. :-)

Ah crap. Climbing incident?

Aye... I hope you heal up soon.

starting strength coach development program
    You didn't break your middle finger by over-enthusiastically flipping someone off, did you?

Hopefully it will heal quickly so you can get back to training again.