Page 181 of 204 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 2037

Thread: chromoly the intermidiot

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Video of comp/cg bench:

No No No Cat - YouTube

Happy Birthday Nanette! Have a good one!

Nanette - Happy Birthday, all the best, for your hip and the rest of you!

Yay happy birthday!!

Default chromoly the intermidiot

Thank you all my friends! I had a Skype interview yesterday, went fairly well. A little bit of work, plus training and drinking beer. Made for a good birthday.

I am cheered by your well-wishes, especially since 28 is not off to a particularly great start! I had my first PT appointment today, and my PT seems to think that my "hip ebola" could be a hip labrum tear. Of course, we won't know without MRI, so she's asked my PCP to give me a referral ASAP for sports med and/or MRI. I have five more PT appointments, once per week. Since I'm graduating in June and I won't have UC SHIP insurance after September, we're going to try to speed things along in all aspects (PT, sports med, MRI, whatever else).

I was told that I am "very quad dominant" (surprise! you don't get a TBR > 2 with weak quads) and I have "relatively weak glutes." Ugh, every PT talks about weak glutes. But whatever, I'll do the butt (building) stuff. She Rxed me 5x/week side-steps and clamshells to fatigue, with a band. I'll make it a habit to do them at the gym after training, then find one more day to do it.

On the bright side! Today in PT, I found out that I can squat to depth with no pain, as long as I have a narrow stance (not much wider than hip width) and don't turn out my left leg. (Which is sort of what I was already doing, squatting with my left leg turned out less than my right leg.) But I'll keep not squatting for a bit longer. I hope the SGDL LP keeps me from getting too weak in the meanwhile. On the other bright side, I guess I finally have my excuse to compete in Deadlift Only!

Edit: Sports med appointment is scheduled for Monday. She will probably order MRI.
    Last edited by chromoly; 04-26-2017 at 06:59 PM.

oh, that's (potentially) bad news. fingers crossed she got it wrong.

That really sucks...

When I was a student I dislocated my knee cap playing ping-pong. I went to the ER because it hurt way more than usual (this was maybe my 6th knee cap dislocation), they did some x-rays and sent me home with painkillers. I ended up going to Ashe center to see Dr. Mcallister a week later for a follow-up. He looked at the SAME EXACT XRAYS and says:
    "What did they tell you at the ER?"
    Me: "It's just a bad dislocation."
    "Your knee cap is in three pieces and you need surgery tomorrow."
    Me: "Um... OK."

Long story short he ended up doing four surgeries on my knees (two on each) and fixed my recurring dislocations, which is apparently pretty hard to do. I can't recommend him highly enough, he's the head of sports medicine and he comes to the Ashe Center once a week, but you can also see him at the medical complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    oh, that's (potentially) bad news. fingers crossed she got it wrong.
    Cheers, mate. We'll see what the MRI and sports med say. I'll for sure get a second opinion (my father is a radiologist) or even a third opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian View Post
    I can't recommend him highly enough, he's the head of sports medicine and he comes to the Ashe Center once a week, but you can also see him at the medical complex.
    The knee thing sounds ridiculous! Re: Mcallister, I don't think he's at the Ashe Center anymore, I can't find his info on the webpage. You're talking about David Mcallister, right? He's at the main hospital, but not at student health anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Re: Mcallister, I don't think he's at the Ashe Center anymore, I can't find his info on the webpage. You're talking about David Mcallister, right? He's at the main hospital, but not at student health anymore.
    Hmmm... Hopefully that's not the case. His website still lists him as attending physician at the Ashe Center. If it were me, I would call his assistant Kelly (310.206.5250) to confirm whether he still treats people at Ashe and if not what kind of referral you would need to see him at the hospital. It would be worth the try IMO because he's the frickin best (Lakers/UCLA football/etc/etc team doctor). At one point after my knee surgeries I had a lump on my chest ("It's not a toomah!") and got referred to the dermatologist at Ashe. The guy was worthless and I ended up getting another referral out to a better one at the hospital. Anyway, I hope I'm being helpful and not just obnoxious.

starting strength coach development program
    Hmmm, did a "hip labrum tear" search, that sounds like it could be complicated. Let's hope it is something else, and you get it all sorted out.

On the bright side! Today in PT, I found out that I can squat to depth with no pain, as long as I have a narrow stance (not much wider than hip width) and don't turn out my left leg.
    Well, that's good!