starting strength gym
Page 1 of 204 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: chromoly the intermidiot

Default chromoly the intermidiot

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I haven’t been a novice in quite a while, so I figured I should move to the intermediate section. Hello intermediate lifter amigos!

My name is Nanette. I’m a 27 year old female, 5’3.5” (the half inch is very important!), and roughly 62 kilos. I’m in my final year of a PhD program in chemical physics. In my spare time I participate in bicycle shenanigans. I am an early intermediate lifter (an intermidiot, per se). I started my novice progression in 2015, finished in early 2016. After LP, I messed around, competed, did some stupid things, etc... Now I’m several weeks into Texas Method.

Competition History:
    1) November 2015, Novice Meet: 180/45/260 (485 lbs) @ 132.0 lbs. Only benched the bar due to a wrist injury.
    2) February 2016, USAPL Raw Spartan Championships: 92.5/50/127.5 (270 kg) @ 60.7 kg. 298 Wilks.
    3) April 2016, USAPL CA State Championships: 97.5/50/137.5 (285 kg) @ 60.9 kg. 314 Wilks.

My short term goals are 250 lb squat, 135 bench, 315 deadlift, and a 95 lb press (OK, maybe this one belongs in long term goals). Longer term, I want to be shredded in the 63 kg weight class (jk, but lower BF % would be nice), press my bodyweight above my head (this one might take a long time), and achieve a 400+ Wilks.

Feel free to chime in with stupid jokes, point out my stupid mistakes, make fun of the bros in the background of my videos, bicycle conversations, etc!

Right now, I’m running the following Texas Method program. Eventually I will enter Phase 2 of TM and “run it out,” but here’s my basic set-up for now:

Sunday
    Squat VD 5x5, supersetted with eating candy
    Press VD 5x5
    SGDL 3x5, occasionally supersetted with laying on the floor

Tuesday
    Bench VD 5x5
    Light Squat 2x8 @ ~75% of ID
    Chins 3x5 @ BW (or light pulls)

Thursday
    Squat ID
    Press ID
    Deadlift ID with 2x5 back-off @ ~80%

Friday
    Bench ID
    “Bro Stuff”

What candy do you eat? I find I work up an appetite during volume squats. I've been drinking a whey & dextrose shake of sweetness, sans milk now.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    I’m a 27 year old female, 5’3.5” (the half inch is very important!)
    I disagree. The half inch is not important, which is why you should just round up. It's not lying. (This is what I tell myself).

Sunday
    Squat VD 5x5, supersetted with eating candy
    Press VD 5x5
    SGDL 3x5, occasionally supersetted with laying on the floor
    This makes me exhausted just by looking at it.

Good luck with TM!

Quote Originally Posted by Seth_H View Post
    The half inch is not important, which is why you should just round up. It's not lying. (This is what I tell myself).
    Now are we talking about height or are we talking about Gilchrest's #startinglength program...?

Quote Originally Posted by damufunman View Post
    What candy do you eat? I find I work up an appetite during volume squats. I've been drinking a whey & dextrose shake of sweetness, sans milk now.
    My favorite right now is Trader Joe's Scandinavian Swimmers. They're obviously a knock-off Swedish Fish, but I like the texture of the Swimmers better. They're more gummy. Swedish Fish tend to be thin, hard, and sometimes dried out. Sometimes I eat Sour Patch Kids or Australian Licorice (it's soft and chewy). In the event I run out of candy during VD, I will buy some Gatorade (full sugar, not the diet one) at the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Welcome to the clusterfuck of intermediate land. :-)
    This makes me exhausted just by looking at it.

Good luck with TM!
    Thanks! TM can be exhausting, but it's bringing me nahce gainz so far, and hopefully more to come soon!

Default chromoly the intermidiot

Thursday July 28, 2016

Hot today. My gym has air conditioning, but sometimes they insist on leaving the door open....

Squat
    5 x 45
    5 x 95
    5 x 135
    2 x 165
    1 x 185
    5 x 200 PR (5RM PR)

I was a bit unfocused this set, hips started going backwards as I got tired. Need to think "hips forward," so I'm not pushing them back. Still, a PR is a PR, and I am finally hitting 200 lbs for fahve.

Press
    5 x 45
    5 x 50
    5 x 55
    3 x 60
    1 x 65
    1 x 70
    5 x 77 PR (5RM PR)

My feelings from last week lied to me. I might have fahves in me for a bit longer.

Edit: I did wind up bringing out my hands just a finger width on each side for the press. I'm sure that contributed to it feeling stronger today.

Deadlift
    5 x 45 RDL
    5 x 135
    3 x 185
    1 x 215
    5 x 240 (5RM PR)
    2 x 5 x 200 (no belt)

I don't know what I would do without baby powder; certainly not hit 5x240 for a flat-backed, new 5RM.

Last edited by chromoly; 07-28-2016 at 08:55 PM.

Now are we talking about height or are we talking about Gilchrest's #startinglength program...?
    Wow, I walked right into that one...

Congrats on all the PR's!

Congrats on all the PR's!
    Thanks! If I keep doing TM correctly, more to come soon!

-----

In other news, I just paid the $75 registration for the Starting Strength Fall Classic in Chicago! I registered as 67.5 kg because I'm too undisciplined to cut to 60 kg, not to mention that it's a weigh-out system so I'd probably have to be around 58-59 kg before lifting.

I don't expect to win or even place but I think it'll be a fun meet and an interesting experience. No commands!? No lubricants (no baby powder?)?! At the very least, I know I won't get red-lighted on depth. Plus I'll get to meet a bunch of cool people!

Stronk work on those deadlifts!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasterleavings View Post
    Stronk work on those deadlifts!
    Thanks! Btw, did you notice I stole your usage of "intermidiot"? I thought it was an apt name to appropriate for my log

Page 1 of 204 1231151101 ... LastLast