starting strength gym
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Byrd House of Pain

Thumbs up Byrd House of Pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I didn't create a log on the forums during my LP phase, but figured I'd give it a shot here now into the quasi-advanced novice / intermediate phase.

Current stats: 39 / M / 6'2" / 230

Background: Got overweight in junior high, never really got over that. Got married, had kids, weight went up (along with BP and cholesterol). Variety of diets fluctuated weight for a while; Atkins being most successful got down from almost 250 to 205. Dabbled in strength training for a few years in mid-2000's. Got into running in 2012. Dropped from around 225 down to 199 (first time not cracking 200 since high school). Trained and ran in 3 half marathons; enjoyed it, best time was 2:11 in Feb 2015. Had ITB issues and knew needed to get stronger to improve running and reduce pain / injuries...found starting strength, gave up on the running, and haven't looked back.

Messed around for a few months until had full training session with Randy Winfrey; he got me on the right track. Few minor injuries and life set backs while trying to DTFP through the first year. Lost my first log, but started around 145 and was up to 325 before taking a reset for really sore knee. Went to see Andy Baker this time and he fixed my squat. Worked up to 365 before knee pain just wouldn't go away and had some adductor strains. Finally added some chiro work into recovery which has helped tremendously. Worked another LP back up to the low 300's; most recent set back was a mild strain in lower back on rep 5 of 395# deadlift (super PO'd about that). Have quickly rehabbed it with squats, GMs, deadlifts and reverse hypers. Decided to swap to TM. Needed more volume on presses and while it may not be the ideal program (almost 40) I have time on Mondays to get the long session in.

So here we go...current lifts are: Squat - 335; Deadlift - 365; Bench - 255; OHP - 160...quit power cleans for a while.

Current Goals: Squat - 405; Deadlift - 455; Bench - 275; OHP - 185...and, assuming a spring meet at WFAC, making strong consideration to take the road trip up from Houston.

Programming is:
    Monday
    Squat 5x5
    Bench / OHP 5x5
    Chins (Lots)

Wednesday
    Squat 5x2 (Light)
    Bench / OHP
    RDLs (Light, High reps)
    (Conditioning/Prowler when time allows)

Friday
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    (Conditioning/Prowler when time allows)
    Last edited by byrd_aaron99; 10-26-2016 at 02:19 PM.

First two workouts this week:

Monday (10/24)
    Squat 310 x 5 x 5
    Bench 232 x 5 x 5

Wednesday (10/26)
    Squat 275 x 5 x 2
    OHP 145 x 5 x 3
    RDL 185 x 10 x 3
    Chins 25 (5x5)
    Reverse Hyper (100 lbs x 10 x 3)

Congrats on the log inauguration! Here's hoping you get a great run from TM & avoid any more injury annoyances.

Another successful ID:

Squat 345x5

Bench 258 x2r x 3s...really did not think this was going to go up. Surprised myself; pleasantly so!

Deadlift 370x5

10/31/2016

Squat 315 5x5

OHP 146 5 then 4x4...press just keeps kicking my tail. Have had a little shoulder pain when raising arm laterally...I think from sleeping on it wrong, but have been able to press with no issues. Usually feels better afterwards.

11/2/2016

Light Day

Squat 245 x 5 x 2
    RDL 185 x 12 x 3
    Rev Hyp 100 x 10 x 3
    Tried to bench but my shoulder felt craptastic just warming up with the bar; decided not to push it and will rest on presses until shoulder is better.

Pushed prowler for 20 minutes. ~40 yard pushes every 2 minutes...brutal.

Thumbs up

11/4/2016

Heavy Day

Squat - 350 x 5 felt great; expect to be making new PRs in a few weeks.

Press - Still letting shoulder feel better; did lots of reps with bar and 95 x 10 x 3. Hurts more in bench press motion/load than OHP. Suspect need to bring in grip slightly on bench if trying next week.

Deadlift - 375 x 5; dropped hips a bit on 4th and maybe 5th.

11/7/16

Squat 315 x 5 x 5; minimum 5 minutes between sets. Tough but not a total grind.

Press 45 x 15 x 3; Still not feeling 100% in left shoulder but improving.

RDL 205 x 10 x 3

Well this crap went off the rails pretty quickly...in the last year and a half plus since I started this journey I've learned all kinds of new terms I had never heard of before: patellofemural tracking, shoulder impingement, thoracic outlet syndrome, etc.

I think I've self diagnosed (stupid I know) with some shoulder impingement from crappy sleeping positions (a bed that is probably way past needing replacement) and maybe BP grip that is a bit too wide. My shoulder hurts most in the morning then quickly dissipates once getting warmed up and going for the day. Have been able to OHP lighter weights with good form, but laying off bench. Squatting LBBS caused a some pain so made choice to go keep working on deadlifts and keep squatting with SSB since my gym has one. Took a while to get used to the difference in COM and difference in operating the levers during the squat.

In last month, made progress from 260 to 300 on SSB (running LP), but last few sessions involved shooting pain down my right side and right arm. Quick search of the forums on the Google machine turned up thoracic outlet syndrome which described the pain exactly. While the SSB was good on shoulder I struggled to find the right spot for bar position and it seems it pressed down in just the right spot on ulnar nerve to make squatting too painful.

Deadlift progress: added some volume (Mondays sets of 5 @ 90% with some back off), RDLS and rows on Wednesday, and heavy on Friday. Pulled 405 for a double and single on 12/2; form is improving with increased reps.

Plan forward, ibuprofen, working on improved sleeping position (which has helped), back to LP on OHP starting at lighter weight with perfect form, back to some LBBS backing off from last heavy work and we'll see how shoulder responds.

Oh...and all I want for Christmas is to train with less pain in 2017. Byrd house of pain to house of gainzzz.
    Last edited by byrd_aaron99; 12-08-2016 at 10:15 AM.

Thumbs up

starting strength coach development program
    12/9/2016

Back to Low Bar Squats: 315 x 5 x 3

OHP: 100 x 5 x 5 (Shoulder feeling better, sleep position improving)

Deadlift: 410 x 3; needed to set my back a little better on #3; #2 got forward off shins just slightly.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast