starting strength gym
Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Damufunman's lifting weights log

Default Damufunman's lifting weights log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everybody! I made it, after 20 weeks of intermidiot (thanks chromoly, love this term) status (and counting) of posting in my novice log despite only making weekly progress (out of necessity). Having done my first meet this Sunday, the Fall Classic, and hitting a 405 squat I kind of feel like it's time to move my log here.
    Also, I would like to start focusing more on the Olympic lifts, and am working on gearing my programming toward that.

Still working out details of my program, but I would like to stay on the Texas Method or some similar variation, probably a 4 day. I like the volume-intensity split, and I hope 4 will have 2 effects:
    1. Less time per workout. I lift after work, and don't like getting home and eating after 8:30 or 9.
    2. More time to squeeze increasing amounts of the Olympic lifts into said less total workout time. Guess I'll have to see how that pans out.

Obviously I want to continue deadlifting and benching, preferably both weekly for teh strength gainzZz.

Post meet plans to come shortly.
    Last edited by damufunman; 10-31-2016 at 05:10 PM.

That is to say, following.

PS: Not the original one to come up with "intermidiot." I stole it from Shane, who perhaps stole it from someone else.
    Last edited by chromoly; 10-31-2016 at 05:26 PM. Reason: I liked this meme better

So just saw that a couple of the stronger guys lifted heavy today, so I'm a bit conflicted about what to do. Was planning on taking an easy few days, figuring out my schedule, then getting into it end if this week or early next. Now I'm wondering if I can go at tomorrow with a reset volume day.

ETA: ok, I think I will lift tomorrow because I'm ready to go. Going to switch things up a bit, but basically going to do bench volume tomorrow and maybe some pulling. Think I've got a program worked out that's a modified 4 day TM with extra exposure to Olympic lifting. Will update in the morning after I get more time to think about it.
    Last edited by damufunman; 11-01-2016 at 05:35 AM.

So after looking at the various options in PP and in the TM e-book I've decided to ignore all of that and come up with my own program... intermidiot, indeed.

Here's what it looks like:

Sunday - volume day 1
    Snatch Volume (initially to work on full snatch form, currently only doing powers)
    Squat 5x5
    Press 5x5

Tuesday - volume day 2
    C&J volume (ditto for cleans, and getting my jerk up to my power clean, might start with rack jerks to get it rolling)
    Bench 5x5
    Pulling volume, either rows, SLDL, or SGDL 2-3x5, depending on how the snatch and C&J volume affect me. May have to do Front squats at some point as well, but let's see how low bar squats (*gasp*) work for strength...

Thursday - intensity day 1
    Snatch max, work up to heavy single, up to 2 or 3 fails
    Squat 1x5-->5x1, a la running out TM
    Press 1x5-->5x1

Friday - intensity day 2
    C&J max, work up to heavy single, up to 2 or 3 fails
    Bench 1x5-->5x1
    Deadlift 1x5-->5x1

Feel free to rip it apart, or applaud me for my programming geniusity, as needed. I really want to continue with the 4 main lifts and I liked the 3+1 TM I was doing already. We'll see how long it'll last, and I'm open to changing it up if necessary. My guess is that for several weeks it'll go well with good strength gainzZz without too much interference from my not-so-heavy pulls. Eventually I'll probably have to drop to alternating bench and maybe deadlift every other week. I also suspect I'll need to move away from the volume-intensity split and do more of an HLM type schedule. Until then let's see how this goes.

I'll be following your log, then. You're doing great work!

Thanks! I'm trying. Happy with my first go on TM and it was cut short due to meet prep. I'm going I can get at least another year out of it, before changing up too much.

11/2
    AMBW 194.6

Warm and humid as balls today. Worked up a sweat just assembling summer posts at work today. Had to sit down to cool off. Initially thought since I just entered my first meet I suddenly lost the last tiny shred of cardiovascular fitness i had left. But then I realized it was just muggy as fuck out.
    Then I didn't eat soon enough and was starving the whole workout. I gotta start telling people to fuck off louder at work when I'm eating...

Week 0 TM-oly transition
    Schedule is shifted this week. Did bench volume day and threw in squats since I haven't saturated since Sunday (gasp).

Clean work: did hang cleans working catching bar in front squat. Started with bar, eventually added 20 lbs. Managed a few full squat gang cleans at 65, I'll just work my way to in weight for a while until I can be consistent with it.
    Push press: did some push presses and behind the neck (BTN) push presses at 65. These really wore out my arms for some reason.

Bench: 175 x 5 x 5. These were harder than they should've been, unless I've detained since Friday (unlikely?).

Squat: 245 x 5 x 3. Felt kinda heavy-ish, but didn't leave me wheezing at the end. Ready for a heavy set of fahve on Friday.

Shirt soaked through after workout. And ravenous. Didn't have anything ready to cook for dinner and didn't feel like waiting so had Chipotle. Good post workout meal. And got me up to my protein goal for the day. Woohoo.

11/4
    AMBW 196.2

TM intensity day
    Squat: 345 x 5. These felt a little difficult, but definitely a small reset.
    TM intensity day squats, 345 x 5 - YouTube

Press: 140 x 5. Ditto here. Only got up to 135 x 5 on intensity day before switching to triples, but last did 137.5 for volume day, so figured I could take a higher weight for fahves.
    TM intensity day press, 140 x 5 - YouTube

Deadlift: 355 x 5. Shit fives suck. Did my last warmup at 325 DOH, which is a PR of sorts. Pulled the first 2 at 355 with hook grip, then switched to mixed. Belt was too low/tight, and hurt like a bitch, hence the adjustment after the third rep. Tried keeping upper back extended, but clearly didn't happen. Need to figure that out before it gets heavy and I break...
    TM intensity day deadlift, 355 x 5 - YouTube

Also did some snatch work with just the bar and a couple sets at 65. Mostly working on getting down into a full overhead squat and using some top-down progressions to get there. Was able to catch most of them pretty low and didn't die, so that's good.
    Last edited by damufunman; 11-04-2016 at 09:15 PM.

Did you just deadlift more than you squat?

Deadlift fives are hard. They are supposed to be. About keeping your upper back extended: maybe think about showing off the print on your shirt? Or engage your lats and pull inward like when you're benching? (That's the cue I use, "lats".)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Did you just deadlift more than you squat?

Deadlift fives are hard. They are supposed to be. About keeping your upper back extended: maybe think about showing off the print on your shirt? Or engage your lats and pull inward like when you're benching? (That's the cue I use, "lats".)
    Yeah I was tempted to either start squats at a lighter weight or deadlift at a higher weight to get a larger spread, then decided that was stupid.

I've thought about the"lats" cue, just not while deadlifting... :/
    I'm thinking of doing some front squats, or something for pulling volume to work on that, just not sure what yet. Maybe rows? SGDL didn't seem to help it.
    Last edited by damufunman; 11-05-2016 at 08:07 AM.

Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast