• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    3 Jul 2017
    SQ: 390x5, 350x5x2
    Press: 165x5x5x5x3x5 +2 (What?!)
    DL: 370x5
    BW: 215.5

SQ:
    Squats seemed to go off well. Tried to bring my stance in as requested, just a touch. Hip drive looks good and the knees seem to be under control.

Press:
    I couldn't find my 1.25lbs plates so I pressed 165x5x5. I missed a full 5 on my 4th set due to rest I'd imagine. The +2 is because about 20 seconds after I finished my fifth set I went back in for a double. I figured I was already down about 80lbs across the set for the lack of the 1.25lbs plates.

DL:
    Leading with my back again. Mostly just tired. And that's mostly just an excuse I'd imagine. I just didn't force myself to pull pull pull slowing until the bar broke the floor. I'm going to have to do this. The good news is even these don't seem to be as bad as some of my old pulls (well... the end is pretty rough here). You can REALLY seem me leading with my back. Sigh.

7 Jul 2017
    Box Squat: 300x5x3
    Press: 187.5x5x3 - Fail
    Rows: 200x5x3
    BW: 216.8

SQ:
    That's me shoving my knees out as hard as I could. "Maximum effort!", as Deadpool might say.

Press:
    Tried to do what you said on the presses. I think I could have hit all 5 if I would have brought my head forward more aggressively on 3 which would have made it less of a fight. Still looks like my bounce is in my knees.

Rows:
    Included for form check.

11 Jul 2017
    SQ: 395x5, 355x5x2
    BN: 210x3x5
    DL: 375x5
    BW: 212.0 (during the day).
    Waist: ?"

SQ:
    Knees are still in from this angle. I think I may have moved my feet back out to the wider stance. Depth looks good though. I hate it when that DAMNED MIRROR makes its way back into my office (what I lovingly refer to the squat rack as). I'll tell you what, it's about impossible to remember to look down when there's a mirror in front of me. And even though the hip drive here looks okay, the head up certainly effects the squat. Other than my knees not being out enough this set didn't look too bad.

Second set looks quicker and I seemed to keep my head down a little better. Knees are in exact same configuration. Lifting my chest on that last rep certainly slowed things down. My camera was having much great struggle this evening.

BN:
    Fast. Not a problem. I loaded 215 on but didn't press it. Probably could have done this for 3 sets of fahve. My bench is much better these days.

DL:
    Ahhh... deadlifts... Decided to pull these without straps hook grip tonight. I don't want to beat the hell out of my hands (and my girlfriend certainly prefers them to not be in sandpaper mode) but I also know that when competition time comes I need to be able to pull a heavy ass single. Back looks a touch better than it has lately. Tiny bit of unlocking on two but I think things are coming along. I really tried to push through my legs today. Reps three on are about the same as far as my back goes. I just needed to be more tighter-er.

For those of you following along: I'm not dead. And I've been as consistent as possible in the gym. Work has been crazy lately, and I'm working on a move to Chicago proper to be closer to my lady. There have been a few missed workouts, and today was a beast to be sure. I was in the dojo for an hour working on what amounts to fighting with a weighted 36" long club before finding some time to get to the gym for this workout. I had to move my days forward a day this week because of work.

Things are starting to calm back down, and I'm not wanting to miss any more work in the gym. Looks like I've also lost about 8lbs. Food has been a real problem lately. I normally have at least a little time in my home life to meal prep for the week, but that hasn't been the case for about a month now. Add to that a work schedule that almost literally hasn't been allowing for me to sit down a few times to get a few thousand calories in and you have a recipe for weight loss. Seems I've managed to keep my strength up given all that. Whole milk, peanut butter, cereal, and protein powder at work are probably a good idea.

Outside of that I'm just finally hoping to settle things down a little bit and get back on track and stay there. I'm also starting to think about the Fall Classic...

Anyway that's the explanation for the gap in my log posts. Stay tuned for a more regular Freeman...

Good work plugging on with everything being thrown at you. Still strong and getting stronger!

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    Good work plugging on with everything being thrown at you. Still strong and getting stronger!
    Thanks, Mate.

Interesting thought bubbled up from your comment: I agree with the getting stronger bit, but I know I can be a lot stronger before I'm really even a solid intermediate. Funny how this whole thing we do takes hold; you can always add more weight to the bar, so you'll always want to. Personally I'd like to see a 250lbs press (something well over body weight) and a 525+ squat and pull some time soon... but those goals will seem unimportant after I've hit them (and that's the point).

13 Jul 2017
    SQ: 315x5x3
    Press: 172.5x3x5
    RDL: 185x5x3
    BW: 214.5

15 Jul 2017
    SQ: 310x5x3
    Pin Bench: 230x4
    Pin Press: 185x5
    Rows: 205x5x3
    BW: 215.0

Yet another new gym... Joy. Anytime Fitness this time.

Squats seemed to go fine. I had to scrape things together to make this work. And I'm glad I didn't catch any crap about chalk and pin pressing (doesn't hurt when you're a congenial person when you walk in, I suppose).

You could really see me struggle on the attempts at getting that fifth bench. Sorry this got posted up so late. I did it Saturday morning. It was the lady's birthday weekend, so there was some busy.

Going to hit my work sets today in a little bit. And should hopefully be able to post those up after.

17 Jul 2017
    SQ: 400x5, 360x5x2
    Bench: 235x3x2 - Fail
    DL: 380x5
    BW: 214.4

SQ:
    Knees could go out more. Got chesty on the heavy set as well. Could have kept the head down more and it would have helped me push through. They felt heavy, from the time I unracked the bar until I put it back in, but the bar speed is actually pretty good. Oh, CNS, why you such a liar. Same knees out thing on the back-off sets. Looks like I push them out at the bottom but not so much from the top down.

BN:
    Couldn't really call that second set a x2 set. He probably took just a little weight off the bar. I was surprised at how well the first rep of the two sets went and how heavy it got after that. That's pretty much all I got.

DL:
    None of these show great back control. All of them moved fast. It would be appreciated if this clicked for me one day.

starting strength coach development program
    19 Jul 2017
    SQ: 320x5x3
    Press: 187.5x3x2
    RDL: 190x5x3
    BW: 215.0 (Ha!)

SQ:
    Wiggled around on the last 3rd into the hole on the filmed set. Cleaned that nonsense up moving forward.

Press:
    So do these count? I saw my heel com up, but I don't think I'm "jerking" the bar off my chest. These felt pretty good off the chest, so I'm skeptical.

RDLs:
    Included for form check.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast