starting strength gym
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Constant Intermediate

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5/17/17 Week 1 Bench Session A

Only about 3 days behind my ideal lifting schedule (Mother's Day and work and whatnot)

Bench 295x3x8 @8

Press 185x 5, 5, 6

Cable Row 180x3x12

Triceps felt fatigued today. Don't know why. Who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    My wife informed me a tank top is actually worse than a cut off T for pushing the stroller around the neighborhood, because the cut off looks like an exercise thing while the tank looks like I am on my way to the beach in California.
    Not sure how I feel about this. Especially after fully embracing the tank top. I wear them to family gatherings, work, and stroller walks. I don't even own a cut off T. But I remember bros from my old gym wearing cut offs that were more like a front and back cape, with only a thread of connecting fabric on the bottom. I declare that to be the douchiest style of all.

5/18/17 Week 1 Squat Session B

Front Squat 275x3x5. I programmed front squats once before, and only got up to 275x3x3, so I'm counting this as a PR. It's frustrating how they seem to fail by falling off the shoulders instead of leg fatigue.

RDL 315x3x5 @7

Abwheel 3x20

5/19/17 Week 1 Bench Session B

Bench 275x3x8 @7

Chins +70x3x7

Close Grip 275x3x7

EZ Curl 128x 12, 12, 15

I supersetted the bench/chins and close grips/curls for time sake. And I was topless the whole time. A glorious pump was achieved.

The scale hasn't moved all week, probably because I haven't done any walking or rowing. And I've been eating pizza and burgers. But it's definitely the lack of walking that's hurting my weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by broseph View Post
    The scale hasn't moved all week, probably because I haven't done any walking or rowing. And I've been eating pizza and burgers. But it's definitely the lack of walking that's hurting my weight loss.
    Not sure how often you're weighing now but I have recently started weighing daily and using averages to track and I really like how it removes the confusion of random fluctuations and lets you see if you're actually making progress or not. My scale weight was the same last Friday as it was today but looking at the averages I can see the trend is still moving downward. I posted about it here: Creatively Titled HLM Log

On the other hand, maybe your not as OCD as I am and this sounds like way too much hassle, in which case, carry on.

5/19/17 Conditioning

Mowed the front AND BACK yard. I refuse to not count this as conditioning.

5/21/17 Week 2 Squat Session A

Bodyweight 221 (-1 from last week, -11 total)

Squat 405x3x5 @9. Fatigue is a cruel mistress.

Block Pull +3/4", 495x5. I pulled the stall mats off the sides of my platform to add 3/4" ROM to the block pulls, since that's where my leg-shaking deadlift failures always start and end.

Calf Raise 225x3x10. Super excited to get huge rippling calves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    On the other hand, maybe your not as OCD as I am and this sounds like way too much hassle, in which case, carry on.
    LMAO @ "maybe not OCD." I wager that everyone with an Intermediate Log would self classify as at least moderately obsessive. Jokes aside, I weigh myself every morning, in the nude, post toilet. I don't record each number, but I keep a working average in my head that I post to my written and online log every week.

Quote Originally Posted by broseph View Post
    LMAO @ "maybe not OCD."
    Thank you for not laughing your ass off at the fact that I apparently don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

Week 2 Bench Session A

Bench 315x 6, 5, 5, 6. Last set @9. It's called a "rep sandwich" and I just invented it. Seriously though, my elbows were feeling junky so I was planning on something like 6, 6, 7. But I last minute decided to do 4 sets of 5-ish instead.

I always think lowering intensity is a slippery slope when cutting, but by decreasing the load just a little I can get more sets in less time for more tonnage. That sounds like a win to me. I've always done 3 sets. Always. Even with Texas Method I did 3x5 grinders on volume day, then 3x2 on intensity day. As I learn to move away from constant grinding, why not try more than 3 sets?

Press 180x4x5 @8

Cable Row 180x3x12

Thank you for not laughing your ass off at the fact that I apparently don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".
    Internet spelling police are ruining the online communication industry.

5/29/17 Week 3 Squat Session A

Bodyweight 220 (-1 from last week, -12 total)

I missed last week's B sessions due to a backpacking/kayaking trip in the Upper Peninsula. So... 8 hour drive x2, lots of hiking, carrying, and kayaking... I had no idea how I'd feel going into this week. Also, I ate fast food 4 times, but not much else, so there's another confounding factor. Decided to do triples @80% for the big lifts.

Squat 405x3x3, @ 7, 8, 9 due to short rest periods.

Deadlift 445x3x3 @ same as squats.

5/30/17 Week 3 Bench Session A

Bench 315x3x3 @7.5.

Press 205x3x2 @9.5, 165x8. Shoulders definitely fatigued from the camping trip.

Musings: Fat loss has really slowed down, mostly due to my choices, not "plateaus." Cutting calories sucks and training without progress especially sucks, so I need to buckle down and get back to 2lbs/week. I took some tasteful nudes in nature to send my wife (as a joke), and there's at least another 10-12 lbs to go before I will be satisfied.

Last edited by broseph; 05-30-2017 at 11:15 AM.

6/1/17 Week 3 Squat Session B

Front Squat 245x5, 260x2x5. EZPZ

RDL 315x3x5 EZPZ

Abwheel 3x20

Since I started this week light and low volume, I'm treating it as a deload and will start back next week as Week 1.

starting strength coach development program
    6/4/17 Week 1 Squat Session A

Bodyweight 218 (-2 from last week, -14 total)

Squat 365x3x8, last set @9.

Deadlift 405x5 @8+, *sad face. I find my deadlift to be very fickle. Once in a while I'll hit a PR that blows my mind. Other times the strength just isn't there, even without obvious excuses. For example, the last warmup before a PR attempt won't break the ground or I'll have a day like today. No big deal, just complaining.

Calf Raise 225x3x10.

Bodyweight this week slowly shaved by 0.2's down to 219.0 yesterday, then magically 218.0 today. I'm calling it 218. Don't burst my fantasy bubble, Tim K.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    I should try getting back on that ab wheel. I hate that motherfucker.
    As one of the programming savants around here, do you think it's "worth it?" I don't think lack of direct ab work was ever affecting my lifts, but I figured a little hypertrophy would provide some wiggle room for %body fat vs semi-visible-at-just-the-right-angle abs.

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast