starting strength gym
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The Constant Intermediate

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    6/22/17 More Hodge Podge

Proper low bar squats, singles at:
    405, 425, 445, 445, 445. Last one @ 9.5. I have no idea what my actual strength is right now, but it felt good to get some solid heavy low bar squats done.

Front Squat 275x5

Bench 275x5, 295x2x5

BW Chins 3x15

Abwheel 2x20 Kept my back rigid and these felt fine.

6/25/17 Squat Session A

Back still not great so I kinda winged this session.

Squat up to 405x1 @7. Probably a little fatigued from heavyish singles just a few days ago, so I used today's projected max of 445 and did 8x3 @80% (355) with 3 minutes rests.

The weight was not challenging but it got my heart rate up, and my back was starting to talk to me at the end so I did nothing more.

6/26/17 Bench Session A

I enjoyed the 8x3 @80% squats, so I did the same with bench using a soft max.

295x8x3 with 2 minute rests

Press 185x6x3 with 3 minute rests

Curl 138x8. Elbows were hurting, so I dropped down to 88x2x15

Seems like I'm kind of fucking around with programming. The weight loss, injury, and busyness of summer are adding up and I'm starting to feel lost programming-wise. So I'm just having fun lifting whatever I can whenever I can.

Probably hit each lift once per week, work up to a heavy single or so and get some volume. I'm trying to make training sessions more efficient too, which probably provides a little bit of conditioning stress since there's no time for cardio. I figure I can always get fat, bench 405, and squat 500+ this winter.

6/28/17 Squat Session B

Front Squat 275x3x5. I keep planning on adding weight here, but then I don't front squat for a couple weeks and get timid about it. Been repeating 275x5's for too long.

RDL 345x3x5. Same issue as above.

Abwheel 2x20. Only 2 sets cuz muh back.

Musings: It's strange to me how I can maintain accessory lift numbers while cutting AND losing strength on the main lifts. Maybe it's just because I don't push the accessories to their limit like the squat/bench/deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    I like this plan
    Maybe then I'll focus on the press like all the cool kids.

6/29/17 Bench Session B

Bench 295x3x5 @pretty easy

Chins +70 x3x7

Close Grip Bench 285x3x5

EZ Curlz 138x4x8

7/2/17 Squat/Bench Combo Session A

Squat up to 455x1 @9.5
    365x8x3 with <3 minute rests.

Bench 305x8x3 with <3 minute rests.

EZ Curl 88x20 just before getting called into work.

I stole the 8x3 @80% with 3' rests from an offhand comment Chebass made up in the programming thread. Mostly because I've lost strength lately and couldn't decide what to actually do. They end up being about 20 minutes of medium work which is in stark contrast to my old method of 3 sets @10 with 10 minute rests. I just need to figure out how to periodize and do some heavy work with this set up. By working up to e1RM for the 80%, I suppose I'll keep fatigue in check... Still not sure how any of this stuff works.

7/8/17 Squat/Bench

Bodyweight still 215. This makes sense because I'm not really doing anything to reach my goals. Frankly I'm shocked to have not gained weight. Unless I gained fat and lost muscle. That's probably what's happening.

Squat 385x6x3 with 3' rests

Bench 315x6x3 with 3' rests

EZ Curl 138x4x8 with 3' rests

Having not lifted much lately, I couldn't quite find the groove so I only did 6 sets vs 8. I didn't want to be crazy sore in weird places (as often happens when I lift hard outside the groove).

Edit: whoops, I just realized I jumped from 365 to 385 this week. Oh well.

7/9/17 Press/Deadlift

Press 165x8x4 with 3' rests @pretty easy

Deadlift 405x4x3 with 3' rests. I haven't actually deadlifted in about a month, so I took it easy here. Felt awkward as fuck.

10' AMRAP of
    7 BW chins
    10 BW pushups
    x7 rounds

Haven't done pushups in ages. Caught a nice pump.

7/11/17 Squat Session B

Front Squat 280x3x5

RDL 350x3x3. Hams still a little toasty from deadlifting 2 days ago so I only did sets of 3.

Abwheel 3x20

Straight bar curl 95x3x15. Why are EZ bar curls so much EZier? Just a little bit of pronation makes that big of a difference?

Instead of using what little free time I have to properly train, I've been playing Dishonored 2 (finally). This song seemed like a good alternate title:

Quote Originally Posted by broseph View Post
    Instead of using what little free time I have to properly train, I've been playing Dishonored 2 (finally).
    How is it? I remember really enjoying the first one. I am a very infrequent gamer. Every year or two I will pick a game and let it consume my life for a week or two, and then move on and never play it again... last time was Fallout 4 a couple of years ago, so it's fair to say that I'm due for another.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    How is it? I remember really enjoying the first one. I am a very infrequent gamer. Every year or two I will pick a game and let it consume my life for a week or two, and then move on and never play it again... last time was Fallout 4 a couple of years ago, so it's fair to say that I'm due for another.
    Dude- I do exactly the same re: gaming. New game once every year or 2, except I gorge for more like a month or 2 before reentering gaming hibernation. Fallout 4 was the last thing before Dishonored, as well. You must have just flown through the main quest to finish it in less than 2 weeks. Do you even settlement, bro?

Dishonored is fun, just like I remember the first one. But easy. Unless you're trying to get almost every single achievement on your first play through. Then it would be hella difficult. The challenge for me is more about completing a certain area a certain way- planning out how to take down groups of enemies and executing it just right. Reading through all the books and notes and voice recordings in the game doesn't really do it for me. Stabbing guys slow-motion in the face gets me erect every time.

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast