starting strength gym
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Constant Intermediate

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Might have been a little longer than two weeks for Fallout 4, but I really wasn't exaggerating about the "consuming my life" part, lol. I played it around Christmas/New Year's and I had recently moved to Grand Rapids and had no family around to spend the holidays with, no girlfriend, etc. I had no work commitments since I'm a wedding photographer and winter is always slow... what was I going to do, update my portfolio, redesign my website, and develop a marketing strategy? Fuck no, instead I spent my days wandering the wasteland killing the shit out of various mutants and ne'er-do-wells with badass weapons. Pretty sure I played for more than 16 hours in a single day at least once. I did at least get up from my computer three times a week to go to the gym since I had just started SSLP in November. I think I did just enough settlement stuff to get through the main quest, and then a little bit more after I was through with that but I remember it getting really repetitive at that point and I lost interest.

Yeah I remember in the first Dishonored I liked creeping around being all stealthy and shit and taking guys out one at a time. I do like reading all the random bits of back story though. I loved playing Deus Ex and System Shock 2 wayyyy back in the day and that's a large part of the world-building in those games (as well as Fallout and the Elder Scrolls games, obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I do like reading all the random bits of back story though. I loved playing Deus Ex and System Shock 2 wayyyy back in the day and that's a large part of the world-building in those games (as well as Fallout and the Elder Scrolls games, obviously).
    It's funny- I used to enjoy piecing together the lore in games. Now that I have a bunch of kids, I feel pressured to actually accomplish stuff during my precious gaming time.

My wife: You almost done?

Me: I just started.

Wife: That was 2 hours ago.

Me: Oh I was just clearing a building before starting to.... uhhhh yeah, just let me travel back and organize my inventory.

*45 minutes of meticulously analyzing damage/carry weight/special effects*

Wife: You almost done?

7/12/17 Bench Session B

Bench 295x3x5

Chins +80 x5, 5, 7

CGB 285x3x5

Chest is a little fatigued from earlier in the week, but it always weirds me out when my close-grip is as strong as my regular bench. Does this mean triceps are the limiting factor for me? It would help explain why I've failed so close to lockout on heavy benches. Too bad close grips are the only tricep exercise that doesn't destroy my elbows.

INB4 tricep kick backs

ETA: almost forgot today's very small cardio session...

7/13/17

C2, damper @8
    8:36
    ave heart rate 163

Quote Originally Posted by broseph View Post
    Chest is a little fatigued from earlier in the week, but it always weirds me out when my close-grip is as strong as my regular bench. Does this mean triceps are the limiting factor for me? It would help explain why I've failed so close to lockout on heavy benches. Too bad close grips are the only tricep exercise that doesn't destroy my elbows.
    I have the same issue with tricep exercises and my elbows. I can do close grips and dips, but that's about it.

Cable push downs used to be ok too, but I don't have that option in my garage. I've tried to mimic it with bands slung over the pull up bar, but that's kind of weird and I only have bands that don't have enough resistance or have too much resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinyNorman View Post
    I have the same issue with tricep exercises and my elbows. I can do close grips and dips, but that's about it.

Cable push downs used to be ok too, but I don't have that option in my garage. I've tried to mimic it with bands slung over the pull up bar, but that's kind of weird and I only have bands that don't have enough resistance or have too much resistance.
    It's frustrating because it seems like yuge arms are not terribly difficult to achieve, as evidenced by so my big arm/small torso bros. And it would be nice to look like I lift as measured by the only metric the non lifting population uses; arms. When I hit a back double bicep it looks like I'm anatomically missing some arm muscles... Guess I'll do more CHIN ups.

Quote Originally Posted by broseph View Post
    It's frustrating because it seems like yuge arms are not terribly difficult to achieve, as evidenced by so my big arm/small torso bros. And it would be nice to look like I lift as measured by the only metric the non lifting population uses; arms. When I hit a back double bicep it looks like I'm anatomically missing some arm muscles... Guess I'll do more CHIN ups.
    Chin ups make my elbow hurt too

Pull ups don't seem to bother it though.

Things that make my elbows hurt:

Bench
    DB Bench
    CGBP
    Press
    LTE's
    Pressdowns
    Curls
    Chins
    Squats
    Deadlifts

One time my elbow was sore after heavy pressing, and I did dumbell rows and then it felt better. So I guess I've got that going for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Things that make my elbows hurt:

Bench
    DB Bench
    CGBP
    Press
    LTE's
    Pressdowns
    Curls
    Chins
    Squats
    Deadlifts

One time my elbow was sore after heavy pressing, and I did dumbell rows and then it felt better. So I guess I've got that going for me at least.
    Sorry, when I said close grips don't bother my elbows, what I should have said was "close grips only bother my elbows only as much as the other core lifts."

Seriously though, part of my bedtime routine involves aimlessly searching for an arm position in bed that makes my elbows and shoulders not hurt. I guess Rick Nippleton was lying about how lifting makes your body last longer. Wonder what else he was lying about...
    ...brb, changing my stance on global warming.
    Last edited by broseph; 07-15-2017 at 06:26 PM.

7/15/17 Squat/Deadlift A

All sets done with 3' rests:

Squat 375x8x3

Deadlift 415x4x3

EZ Curlz 143x4x8

Plan is to weekly-ish LP this Chebass/Hepburn volume method since I don't know where I am strength wise and I'm enjoying this approach. It's kind of like a lazy density block. It keeps my heart rate up and I get a lot of reps around @8. I just need to pepper in some higher percentages from time to time. Maybe every 3rd week hit ~90% for timed singles with a few lighter back offs. I'm stealing that from Hanley's most recent press density block discussion. I think he recommended something like that for every 3rd press session, even though that was part of a 3x/week routine.

starting strength coach development program
    7/16/17 Bench/Press A

Bench 310x8x3 with 3' rests

Press 175x8x3 with 2' rests

Cable Row 195x4x8 with 2' rests

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast