Deadlifts
    375 x 3 x 7 w/ 2' rest
    Press
    150 x 3 x 6 w/ 90" rest
    150 x 6 @ 8
    Pulldowns
    210 x 4, 4, 3
    Out of time...

Gonna do the full volume of deadlifts this wave. That was tiring, and took a while to get done.

Everything felt good despite it being pretty tiring. Pulldowns went no where today lol. Ran out of time for back extentions.

Hey, Mr. Fick. Good workout. Still hurts me to comprehend that much DL volume. Ouch.

Saw this and thought that if you ever were interested in competing in a PL event, that this would be the one to start with.
    I'm mulling it over myself. Probably won't do it because I'd have to wear a singlet, but just thinking about it anyway.

Hmm. I've never really thought I'd ever do a meet. Mainly because at my weight I would just place last, and I'm 29, a bad age for beginning lifters.

But if it's a rookie meet and I had someone to do it with I would consider it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    I cannot recommend the SS lifting meets strongly enough. Chris at Black Iron held a little informal meet last summer, and said he plans to do more, and you don't even need a singlet for them.
    Hey allent congrats on the baby! Reading your log is like glimpsing 3 months into my future, I'm following closely lol.

I think I might have to forgo any meets this year as I should probably set aside that $200 to spend on my child. I'm sure my wife would tell me as much lol. A SS meet would pretty cool, it would be nice to meet some of the guys around here. Lansing is pretty close and if Suli ever did one I could walk there. Not worried about a singlet, if people want to check out my gut and bulge more power to 'em.

Mar 16th

BW forgot to weigh myself

Paused Squat
    330 x 5 x 2
    Incline Bench
    205 x 5 x 3
    Cleans
    160 x 3
    180 x 3
    205 x 0
    Rows
    160 x 10

Zero energy today, felt like crap. But I still had my strength, but no explosiveness, i.e. cleans went fucking no where. Back might still be torched from Tuesday with the deadlift volume. Did a set of rows just to get something done. The squats and inclines were hard but moved. Just a poopy day.

Good idea - save the $ for the baby! I like allent's idea of going to a Black Iron sponsored meet. Looks like a good way to get started. Chris K is a great guy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    Good idea - save the $ for the baby! I like allent's idea of going to a Black Iron sponsored meet. Looks like a good way to get started. Chris K is a great guy, too.
    Yea man, I think that would be a good time.

I think Chris &/or Sully plan to do at least 2 meets this year, and IIRC the one Chris had at Black Iron cost something like $25 and came with a tshirt. If Chris did one in Lansing basically any time I'd probably be able to swing that, provided it's next month and the kid starts on bottles.

I have a nice list of "lessons for dads at the hospital" I'd be happy to share, either here or on PM.
    Well shit... Depending on the timing I could probably make that happen.

Totally would read it. Whatever's easiest for you, no problem if you post it on my log.

For our last couple kids, I outfitted the back of our minivan with whey, snacks, and beer. Obviously, as a dude, I have no right to complain, but living at the hospital for a few days as a non invalid is ruff stuff.

Taking a walk outside and sneakily enjoying a beer in your parked car is a nice relief. We're all used to being tired from a combination of work, lifting, and regular stress, but being completely exhausted just from emotional expenditure and lack of sleep can only be described as a gross feeling.

ETA: pretty sure drinking in any car is illegal. I was obviously joking. This post is for entertainment value only, yada yada yada.
    Last edited by broseph; 03-18-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Everything will be different, but here is what I am really happy about, and what I would have changed, about our "birth experience," assuming you are going to a hospital:

If they offer it, take at least the "Learn how to baby" class. Also, know how to get there, like, pretty well.
    They mention it in the class, but something like 1/4 or 1/2 of moms who come to the hospital get sent back home because they are not in full labor, so don't get TOO excited.
    Bring a pillow and blanket.
    Hopefully the hospital you are going to (if you are going to a hospital) has a nursery, and you can use it as needed. Don't feel bad about using it, we wouldn't have gotten any sleep at all while we were there if we didn't.
    Bring snacks.
    Arrange for someone to clean your house while you are gone, especially if you have pets and get 2+ nights in the hospital.
    Do not feel bad, for a second, about telling family/friends not to visit or to wait.
    Try to write a note when you talk to people while you are there, because we were both functioning at around 10% and wouldn't remember anything otherwise.
    If you do decide to have visitors, make them bring you / both of you food, because while the hospital had room service for moms, dads were on their own and the food was subpar anyways and room service took over an hour.
    We brought a little present for the night shift nurses on our first night, we probably would have survived without their help, but I'm not sure.
    Writing up a little "birth plan" thing with details like "I don't want drugs, I want a mirror to watch, etc" seems corny, and we didn't do it, but I can see how it would help, as long as you are not insistent on following it 100%.
    If there are lactation consultants available before, during, or after birth, and mom plans on breastfeeding, use them. It will be so helpful.
    I've never been able to sleep 30min-3 hours and function afterwords- if you are like me, working on that might be helpful because that will be your next... probably 4 years.
    Thanks a lot allent. This looks like pretty solid advice. Luckily the hospital we are going to does have a nursery and we are planning on taking advantage. My best friend just had his first Friday and he told me a couple of the things you listed as well. I feel like I'm going to be better prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by broseph View Post
    For our last couple kids, I outfitted the back of our minivan with whey, snacks, and beer. Obviously, as a dude, I have no right to complain, but living at the hospital for a few days as a non invalid is ruff stuff.

Taking a walk outside and sneakily enjoying a beer in your parked car is a nice relief. We're all used to being tired from a combination of work, lifting, and regular stress, but being completely exhausted just from emotional expenditure and lack of sleep can only be described as a gross feeling.

ETA: pretty sure drinking in any car is illegal. I was obviously joking. This post is for entertainment value only, yada yada yada.
    Thanks broseph. Whey, snacks, and beer seem like a great combo to bring. I'm mentally preparing myself the best I can, even though everyone tells me it's way different than you think it is going to be.

As long as the keys arent in the ignition I think you are ok in Michigan no? Lol.

starting strength coach development program
    Mar 19th

BW 340

Wave 4 Week 2
    Squats
    335 x 1
    365 x 1
    390 x 3 x 5
    Bench
    215 x 1
    245 x 1
    255 x 3 x 4
    255 x 7 @ 8.5
    Asst Dips
    -90 x 10, 10, 8

This was a pretty intense workout surprisingly. I have that jelly like feeling. That's good though.

My hand has been hurting during pressing movements as of late so I brought out the wrist wraps for benching today and the pain was gone. Love em.

Good day today.

Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast