starting strength gym
Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: The Slow Grind

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    Any PR is a job well done!
    Lol, I tell people something similar all the time. I guess I should apply that to myself as well.

Thanks!

May 22nd

BW 339

Light Medium Day
    Deadlifts to the knee w/ 1 sec pause
    260 x 3
    315 x 3
    370 x 3 x 4 @ 6ish, probably less than
    Incline Bench
    227.5 x 4 x 2 @ 9
    Paused Squat
    335 x 4 x 2 @ 6.5

HIIT
    stairs: 7 int 30:90 + 7 minutes LISS

New pulling movement. And it's an odd one at that. Good thing about these Sheiko pulls is they are light enough I can rest 2 minutes and crank em out. Redid the incline weight since I skipped the last half of last week. Moved the paused squats on because they're not hard yet.

Forgive me if this was gone over before, but I recall when you started your SS log you had significant lifting experience prior (football?). Have you gotten to/passed all time PRs at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    Forgive me if this was gone over before, but I recall when you started your SS log you had significant lifting experience prior (football?). Have you gotten to/passed all time PRs at this point?
    Correct, I had a little over a year of serious (like actually following a program) strength training before a long layoff. Yea I've surpassed all my maxes from back then except for the deadlift (550) which I'm almost back to (525). Still confused as to how I pulled so much back then. But I'm way past the squat and bench, and I've surpassed my power clean as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JFick View Post
    Correct, I had a little over a year of serious (like actually following a program) strength training before a long layoff. Yea I've surpassed all my maxes from back then except for the deadlift (550) which I'm almost back to (525). Still confused as to how I pulled so much back then. But I'm way past the squat and bench, and I've surpassed my power clean as well.
    That's amazing!! Most people I'd assume can only say they were at their best in their football days, and you've surpassed it!!

Great work. Do you think the 550 back then was with a flat back? Could make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JFick View Post
    I think the difference in mechanics of pulling with more bodyweight is worth noting. And I don't think people can pull much more with a rounded vs flat back.

Also, it's nice to look back as a reminder of the progress we make- I get so focused on recent numbers and sometimes lose site of the big picture. Strong work as always, OP.

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaF View Post
    That's amazing!! Most people I'd assume can only say they were at their best in their football days, and you've surpassed it!!
    Hey thanks! Strength wise I am stronger, but I was in such great shape back then (I played three sports pretty much year round) I'd take that over the mess I am now lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Great work. Do you think the 550 back then was with a flat back? Could make a big difference.
    Yea, I was always a bit of a form Nazi. Had zero interest in getting hurt. That was back in the days where everyone would tell you squats would fuck your knees up and "blowing your back out" was an always present danger. So I always made sure to keep my back straight as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by broseph View Post
    I think the difference in mechanics of pulling with more bodyweight is worth noting. And I don't think people can pull much more with a rounded vs flat back.

Also, it's nice to look back as a reminder of the progress we make- I get so focused on recent numbers and sometimes lose site of the big picture. Strong work as always, OP.
    Rounded back is just a symptom of going up in weight too fast for most people I feel. Elite guys that pull with a rounded upper back is a whole different discussion. Yea, I totally feel like my gut gets in the way sometimes 😭.

It is certainly a good always a good idea to take a step back and look at the long haul. Especially on days we bitch about missing a rep with 50% more of what your max used to be. Thanks dude.

May 23

BW 340

Light Day
    Press
    180 x 4,4,3 @ 💩
    Cleans
    185 x 1
    195 x 1
    205 x 1
    215 x 1
    225 x 1
    235 x 0
    Close Grip Bench
    215 x 8 x 3 @ 8.5
    Pulldowns
    195 x 8 x 3

Turned into an odd day. All the squat racks were being used for various forms of half squats. So I went old school and cleaned the bar before pressing today. Was this the reason I failed all the sets? Probably lol, thanks to it being hard to get the grip right. Also because of this I skipped front squats.

Cleans felt nice and crisp. CGBP is getting hard now. Got some pulldowns in.

I'll be out town for the holiday weekend meaning I'll miss Sunday and Monday next week. Guess it'll​ be a good time to take a deload.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    I like calling them a re-feed. Except I never eat enough when I am away from home.
    Not hard for me to accomplish that lol... 😔

Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast