starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This is gonna suck. A TM log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Had trouble sleeping on the night after VD. Woke up twice during the night, and the second time it took forever to get back to sleep. Felt like my legs were restless. I have the feeling this is the most important night of the week. So I slept till 10.30am. On a monday. Fuck it. Woke up with the "good" kind of sore.
    Last edited by kanahan; 01-16-2017 at 05:18 AM.

On TM you will be sore all the time. Also, I always had trouble sleeping after VD. Going to a four day TM split seemed to help with the sleep, but not the soreness.

I wish I had switched to HLM much sooner than I did.

Feeling a hell of a lot better than I did last week! I think it must have been the poor sleep the night after VD that messed me up.

Light day

Squats 92.5kg x5x2
    Press 45kg x5x3
    Weighted pull ups 2x5 at 12kg, 10 reps at bw. Good surprise here, getting stronger.

Wondering if I should put presses before squats so I am fully recovered for chins. So used to start my training with squats though. Also the added weight is starting to hurt my fingers. I put on chalk but this is not about the skin, it's more like my fingers feel like they were crushed. Oh well, we'll take care of this if and when it becomes a problem.

Love this log thing btw. I can just start typing and let my ranting flow and flow. This is awesome. I feel like scratching my ass btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8shutr View Post
    On TM you will be sore all the time. Also, I always had trouble sleeping after VD. Going to a four day TM split seemed to help with the sleep, but not the soreness.

I wish I had switched to HLM much sooner than I did.
    4 day TM sounds great, but spread over monday-wednesday-saturdat-monday. So it's still only 3 days training per week. I'll give that a try when 3day TM becomes too taxing.

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    That's one of the things I still don't get. If you don't get your reps on ID, how do you know if that was because:
    - your VD was too easy and failed to drive adaptation
    - your VD was too hard and you were too tired on ID
    - your VD was fine, it's just time to switch to 3s on ID

Still at a loss.

As a guideline for VD, how sore should I be and for how many days afterwards ? My intuition tells me if you are still sore on ID, VD was too hard.
    Had trouble sleeping on the night after VD. Woke up twice during the night, and the second time it took forever to get back to sleep. Felt like my legs were restless. I have the feeling this is the most important night of the week. So I slept till 10.30am. On a monday. Fuck it. Woke up with the "good" kind of sore.
    When I did TM a few years ago, I was sore until through the mid-week "recovery day".

Regarding sleep - I have the same effects after squatting / deadlifting heavy. Taking some ibuprofen before bed helps mitigate this (for me).

Best of luck on your TM journey. Keep pushing and getting PRs!

Feeling a hell of a lot better than I did last week! I think it must have been the poor sleep the night after VD that messed me up.

Light day

Squats 92.5kg x5x2
    Press 45kg x5x3
    Weighted pull ups 2x5 at 12kg, 10 reps at bw. Good surprise here, getting stronger.

Wondering if I should put presses before squats so I am fully recovered for chins. So used to start my training with squats though. Also the added weight is starting to hurt my fingers. I put on chalk but this is not about the skin, it's more like my fingers feel like they were crushed. Oh well, we'll take care of this if and when it becomes a problem.

Love this log thing btw. I can just start typing and let my ranting flow and flow. This is awesome. I feel like scratching my ass btw.
    Indeed, sleep needs to be on point for TM to generally work. Good stuff that it's been an improvement this week over last.

Regarding Presses before Squats, I don't think it matters much. I consider chin ups an assistance, so if they aren't increasing at an ideal pace, it doesn't matter that much, as long as your squat, press, bench press & deadlift increases. That's assuming you aren't specifically "training" for chin ups.

With regards to the sensation of your fingers feeling crushed, that's interesting. Have you done a lot of weighted chin ups before? If not, it might just be a new feeling.

And yes, logs are awesome.

Best of luck!

Thanks guys. All comments and advice are highly appreciated.

Man, I'm glad i'm not the only one I thought it was the beginning of restless legs syndrome ;p (no i didn't).

Interesting log for me, as i'm nearing the end of novice LP myself - spreading it out as proposed in BBT with extra recovery days, light squat days etc. atm - but will switch to HLM soon. I considered TM, but had an uncharacteristic bout of realism (too old and too little sleep). Good luck to you.

Never had the same problem with the fingers on chins, can't really imagine it. How on earth do you crush your fingers?

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto View Post
    Man, I'm glad i'm not the only one I thought it was the beginning of restless legs syndrome ;p (no i didn't).

Interesting log for me, as i'm nearing the end of novice LP myself - spreading it out as proposed in BBT with extra recovery days, light squat days etc. atm - but will switch to HLM soon. I considered TM, but had an uncharacteristic bout of realism (too old and too little sleep). Good luck to you.

Never had the same problem with the fingers on chins, can't really imagine it. How on earth do you crush your fingers?
    Well I figured, if I'm not giving TM a try at 33, I will even less at 43. Yolo etc. TM is a variant of HLM, if you play with the weights you can make both as hard or as easy as you want.

Didn't actually crush my fingers, but it's kinda the feeling I got with 12kg. I suppose it's a new kind of stress I have to adapt to.

Feel pretty fresh today. I have soreness in the legs but not a debilitating one. Also have DOMS in the pecs for the first time in forever. Think that's a good sign, maybe I didn't get enough stress on them in the LP days.

starting strength coach development program
    That's one of the things I still don't get. If you don't get your reps on ID, how do you know if that was because:
    - your VD was too easy and failed to drive adaptation
    - your VD was too hard and you were too tired on ID
    - your VD was fine, it's just time to switch to 3s on ID

Still at a loss.
    If unsure, you can always back-off the VD to see if things improve. If they don't, you've merely lost another ID, and can easily compensate. I suggest the back-off test first -- because if you try the "more volume" approach first, only to find out this was an error, the resulting ID loss will linger longer due to your body having to now recover from over-reaching.

As a guideline for VD, how sore should I be and for how many days afterwards ? My intuition tells me if you are still sore on ID, VD was too hard.
    Sore as in DOMS, or sore as in heavy/tired?

(As an aside, I typed in "xxx lesbian big tits 1337x", as per your suggestion in another log. "Very Disappointing"? -- Perhaps. "Very, uh, 'interesting' " -- Definitely.)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast