starting strength gym
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: This is gonna suck. A TM log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Intensity day

Squats 120kgx5, 130kg fast singles (trying my best to progress in some way here, but no many options left after running out 5s 3s 1s)

Bench PR 82.5kg x1. I was a bit helped for the lockout by the idiotic spotter but I'm still logging it.

Week 12

Volume day

Squats 120kg x3x5
    Press 55kg x4x6 (one missed rep)
    Deadlift 150kg x4

Recovery day

Squat 100kg x5x2
    Bench 80kg x1 65kg x6x3
    Airbike 7x 13s on 78s off

Intensity day

Squats 132.5kg x2-1-1-1, 120kg x4

Press 67.5kg x0, 62.5kg x2-1-0. Time to microload

Airbike 7x 14s on 86s off

Weight is still going down nicely. Waist thinning. This morning I was 77.5kg at 92ish cm waist.

I feel like doing triples for volume has unlocked my squat. It's nice to be able to put a little more weight on the bar again. Hope this translates to ID PRs soon.

Presses however are a bit stuck. I don't think I will try doing doubles for volume there, it just seems silly.

kana,

Some points from theory:

1) Check your sleep problem - do "sleep hygiene" and if that doesn't help, see a doctor. Do you lift at night? If so, how much time do you have between finishing training and going to sleep.
    2) Check your diet - quick weight changes are bad for you and for your performance. Quick weight gain means more fat than you want, and quick weight loss means less muscle than you want.
    3) Now on to programming:

A) You can improve sleep/diet: use Cody's HLM - Heavy day consists of 1x5 top set and 2x5 back-off with 90% for squats and deadlifts, light day is 2x5 with 80% and medium day is 3x5 90%. That gives you TM volume spread out better. Heavy pressing is bench, 3x5 if it still gives you progress, and 5x5 if you need volume, light day is pressing (same logic), and if you need more volume you can add back-off sets or DB presses after H and L day. Medium day will depend on your bench/press focus. The top set can be introduced in the presses too. DL is vanilla HLM, with the M day being the one that you like the most or gives you the best progress on DL.

Advantages on this setup: volume more reasonably spread out, no need for two "heavy" days as TM, since L and M days are "easier" you are able to add cardio between H-L, L-M and after M (no cardio before H days). The top set is conduced as TM's Intensity Day, with the same tools (running it out, cycling, etc.), whereas the back-off and M day, both with 90%, act as your volume driver.

IMO, go on a slow cut (0.5 kg/wk) and do HLM this way. Improve your diet compliance and sleep. When reaching 10-15% BF, go back on a slower bulk (0.25kg/wk) and increase volume.

B) You can't improve sleep/diet: do the same as above, but 2 days/wk. Like this:
    Week 1 - Monday = H, Thursday = L
    Week 2 - Monday = M, Thursday = H
    And so on...

C) Short on training time: Do Heavy/Light lower/upper split, minimize accessory work.

Someone better can give you better advice. You should read the Iceman thread, by the way (the GRINDFEST thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    use Cody's HLM - Heavy day consists of 1x5 top set and 2x5 back-off with 90% for squats and deadlifts, light day is 2x5 with 80% and medium day is 3x5 90%. That gives you TM volume spread out better.
    I will probably have to move to that at same point, but there are problems:
    1) 2 backoff sets after PR attempt seems really hard af. I've been doing 1 back off set for the past month or two, and that's already hard
    2) this template involves two long sessions a week. I like my template better because I have only one long session a week, which I can do on sunday when the phone isn't blowing up.
    3) what happens when you reach singles on HD? Are you doing 5 singles PLUS two back off sets? Hello overtraining!

Heavy pressing is bench, 3x5 if it still gives you progress, and 5x5 if you need volume, light day is pressing (same logic),
    Heavy press 2 days after heavy bench? That seems hard

and if you need more volume you can add back-off sets or DB presses after H and L day. Medium day will depend on your bench/press focus.
    So medium press or medium bench on the third day? Why not: heavy bench - light bench or light press - heavy press

DL is vanilla HLM, with the M day being the one that you like the most or gives you the best progress on DL.
    Still making progress pulling once a week

you are able to add cardio between H-L, L-M and after M (no cardio before H days).
    I prefer to do cardio on LD and ID, so I don't have to go to the gym 4-5 times a week

When reaching 10-15% BF, go back on a slower bulk (0.25kg/wk) and increase volume.
    Lol at 10%bf I'll be 140 pounds. But yes that's basically the plan, except I'll stop cutting in the high teens

Week 1 - Monday = H, Thursday = L
    Week 2 - Monday = M, Thursday = H
    I'll do this eventually, when I have respectable lifts and can finally put my focus back on my career and away from the gym

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    I will probably have to move to that at same point, but there are problems:
    1) 2 backoff sets after PR attempt seems really hard af. I've been doing 1 back off set for the past month or two, and that's already hard
    1) Eat more carbs before you go to the gym. You eat like a bird and are still too light at a high bf%;
    2) Rest more between sets;
    3) The PR attempt is not a true 5RM usually, when you can't complete 5 anymore you run it out just like TM (but probably in a lower intensity);
    4) Grow some balls.

2) this template involves two long sessions a week. I like my template better because I have only one long session a week, which I can do on sunday when the phone isn't blowing up.
    Only if you rest a lot on L and M days, which is usually not the case (at least it's not for me).

3) what happens when you reach singles on HD? Are you doing 5 singles PLUS two back off sets? Hello overtraining!
    Overtraining was carelessly used here. No you won't overtrain and there are a lot more ways to skin a cat: you can drop the rep range on your back-offs too, in a way that you will actually have a slight deloading effect. Read PPST:3 again twice.

Heavy press 2 days after heavy bench? That seems hard
    See numbers 1 and 4 above. Also Howmuchyabench? It's not that hard and you've been doing that in SSLP with a lot less recovery.

So medium press or medium bench on the third day? Why not: heavy bench - light bench or light press - heavy press
    Heavy Press is a light exercise for most early intermediates. Only people pressing a lot of weight will actually have need of a light press.

Still making progress pulling once a week
    DL is not the only pulling there is. Sometime you'll have to pull more. If you're not fast-twitch intensive, you'll need a medium deadlift variant for volume purposes.

I prefer to do cardio on LD and ID, so I don't have to go to the gym 4-5 times a week
    If that's the case, TM and HLM are wildly inappropriate for you. You should do a 4-day split with only 2 exercises (H/L).

Lol at 10%bf I'll be 140 pounds. But yes that's basically the plan, except I'll stop cutting in the high teens
    Cut untill you're 15%. High teens won't give enough of a margin to bulk after it and you'll be cutting again soon.

I'll do this eventually, when I have respectable lifts and can finally put my focus back on my career and away from the gym
    Those things are not mutually exclusive, and there's no hard and fast rule about "having respectable lifts before using X type of programming".

Week 13

Volume day

Squats 122.5kg x3x5
    Bench 72.5kg x3x6
    DL 152.5kg x2

starting strength coach development program
    Recovery day

Squats 100kg x5x2
    Press 60kgx1 45kg x6x3
    Airbike 7x 15s / 80s

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast