starting strength gym
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shape of Gains to Come

Default The Shape of Gains to Come

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm finally back after a long 18 months in the CrossFit wilderness. I first read SSBBT in 2010 and ever since then I based my training around the five major lifts, but really did a true novice progression. II started CF based on the recommendation of several friends and I wanted to learn the olympic lifts. I also liked the idea of "training" in a well equipped gym with good equipment. I enjoyed doing it for about a year but I finally came to realize that what Rip, et al say about it is true. I am not "strong" compared to most on this board but I was one of the strongest people in my CF gym of 300+ people. In a year and a half I never really saw anyone make significant gains in the strength department, and I generally came to see it as a waste of time, especially for people who don't come to it with a good strength base.

Anyway, sometimes you need time away from something to really understand it, you know? I recently re-read SSBBT3 and I am in the process of re-reading PPST3 right now. I plan on taking a few weeks and doing a linear program to establish where my numbers are at the moment and then move into a TM 4 day split.

I am:
    Male
    30 y/o
    5 '10
    208 lbs

I finished my time doing CF with the following PR's:

Squat: 385
    Deadlift: 455
    Press: 160
    Bench: 260
    Clean and Jerk: 225
    Snatch: 185

The press and bench PR's were set about three years ago (we never really did either in CF) but I think I could probably hit those numbers today based on my last few workouts.

I'm training at Powerhouse Gym in Hamilton, NJ, which actually has pretty decent equipment. It caters mostly to bodybuilder types but it has quite a few places to squat, two power racks, plenty of plates, a room with bumpers, and even a few Rogue Ohio bars.

My first few sessions went like this:

3/4/17
    Squat: 315x5x3
    Press: 135x5x3
    Deadlift: 365x5

3/6/17
    Squat: N/A - I was so damn sore in my left groin I couldn't get below parallel.
    Bench: 185x5x3
    Press: 140x2, 135x4, 135x2
    Chins: 10, 8, 6

Not being able to squat shook me, and the rest of the workout was terrible. I wasn't planning on pressing and it was a mistake to try.

3/8/17
    Squat: 320x5x3
    Press: 140x5x3
    Power Clean: 185x5x3

Much better.

3/10/17
    Squat: 325x5x3
    Bench: 195x5x3

Squats are getting heavy. Bench is still feeling light.

3/12/17
    Squat: 330x5x3
    Chins: 10, 6, 4

Only had about 45 mins today and wanted to get some work in. I did all three sets of chins in about 4 minutes before they closed the gym. We are going to get a ton of snow here on Monday-Tuesday so I won't be able to train again until Wednesday. Squats were tough.

I'm disappointed that I wasted a year and a half but I'm excited for the future.

Squat: 335x5x3
    Press: 145x3, 140x5x2
    Deadlift: 370x5

Sick all week, first time training since Sunday. Last two sets of squats were a grind. I also forgot my knee sleeves--I won't do that again. Was not able to hit 145 across on press and had to drop down for my last two sets.

Squat: 340x5x3
    Bench: 205x5x3
    Chins: 10x3

Yesterday:

Squat: 345x5x3
    Press: 145x3, 140x4x2

Had to take almost ten minutes between squat sets two and three. These were a grind.

Press went slightly backwards from last workout.

Squat: 350x5x3
    Bench: 210x5x3
    Power Clean: 195x3x5

Squat: 355x5, x4, x3
    Press: 145x4, x3, x3

Squat finally stalled. These were heavy. Finishing the last rep of set 1 felt like I was coming up from underwater after holding my breath for about two minutes.

Didn't hit all the reps on the press but this was an improvement from last workout. I need to get some 1.5 lb plates.

Squat: 285x5x3
    Bench: 215x5x3
    Back extensions: 3x10 (135)
    Chins: 10, 10, 7

Light day on squats. The kid I asked to spot my last set of bench ruined my set. He just would not step the fuck away from the bar no matter how many times I asked. In retrospect I don't think English was his first language. I ended up basically doing a double, a single, and a triple. Random spotters are more miss than hit.

Squat: 355x5x3
    Press: 145x5x3
    Deadlift: 385x5

Feeling good. Double overhand hook grip on all deadlift sets.

Squat: 360x2x3
    Bench: 220x5x3
    Back extension: 3x10 (45)
    Chins: 10, 6, 5

Definitely was not fully recovered from Saturday's session. Fives were not going to happen @ 360 so I decided to do three doubles. I think it's likely I will need to move to the TM 4 day split starting next week.

Much better experience benching tonight. Solid spotters. Was tight on time so I had to rush through chins at the end.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat: 275x5x3
    Press: 150x5x2, 1x4
    Deadlift: 395x5

Light day for squats. I've been having pain in my left elbow after my last few heavy squat sessions. After reading around the forums and looking at some of my videos, I think I was pulling my elbows back too far. They weren't parallel to my back at all and almost looked like they were pointing back instead of down. I focused making my upper back tightness originate a little lower than usual and this seemed to do the trick. No new pain after squatting, but these were light sets.

Missed the last rep on set three of the press. Still, I'm happy with this progress after being stalled at 145 for a while.

Deadlifts are feeling good. Still going with double hook grip on all sets. The top of my left thumb goes numb for about a day after deadlifting but I assume this is something that will go away eventually as my fingers adapt.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast