starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Baby Steps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    My original plan was to alternate this programming with HLM, which is actually what Andy recommends somewhere, but for some reason I decided that I am special and could get two consecutive runs of good progress before needing to.

I am thinking now that I should have stuck with the original plan because that is what a smart person would tell me to do.

The thinking behind this choice is based on some of the ideas in Jordan's and Austin's program (The Bridge | Barbell Medicine) that made me realize that less intensity and more frequency would be a good idea, at least for a while, the fact that I find that I am already feeling a mild anxiety about doing both a volume and intensity squat day this week, and the fact that Thing #2 started school last week and Thing #1 starts this week, which means I can get some other shit done around here and that that would be better served by a less aggressive progression.

Part of me wants to just finish what I started to sooth some sort of fear of going into program hopping mode, but that is bullshit. I just did 9 weeks or so to the T, aside from adding curls, but I'm only human) and am sure I can resist falling into that cycle, mostly because lack of progress for most of the last year sort of curbed my gainZz greed a bit.

I am basically going to do this Garage Gym Warrior ? Andy Baker with some imports from 'The Bridge' (beltless pause and 303 squats on L & M days, some ahrmm work each day, and a reordering of the lifts so that pressing lifts go first. The intent is to use this as a gateway drug to true RPE based lifting on a full body, three times a week program.

I am sure that I could probably manage doing 'The Bridge' without screwing the pooch, but I want to have a bit more time to understand how the stress is adjusted via RPE before jumping on a program that will likely have me feeling like I am in Limbo without a concrete numbers scheme to guide me.
    Curls are automatically implied in any lifting program.

Also, finding the balance between informed and appropriate modifications to a reasonable plan and random program hopping seems much harder than it should be. But we learn best by doing, even when the lesson is: stop doing what you already knew was not a good idea. I think learning about RPE and fatigue through practice is really important to grow as a lifter, regardless of what names one might use. Good luck; your hard work and thoughtfulness will pay off.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Eric. Good luck to you too.

All the new gainZz happen here: Like A Bridge Over Troubled Programming

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345