• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    4/20/17

Bodyweight: 206

Bench: 275x5 (PR)
    Press: 165x5x5 (Volume PR)
    Pull Ups: Bodyweight x8x3

Oy! You're about the same place I was in lifts and life when I was having my first kid. I'll follow along with you and I'll be happy to offer any support as you wade through a complete lack of sleep once the little one gets here.

Got any names picked out?

Good luck, man. One tricky thing with the lack of sleep is determining when to push through the tiredness and when not to. And I have absolutely no way to point you in the right direction other than, for me, pushing through is usually better than not. Basically if you can find the time to lift and the energy to warm up, you might surprise yourself with how much you can push.

For context, I'm 36 (had to think about that for a minute) with 4 kids from 2-10, and it's been a wild ride. I started lifting seriously about 5 years ago (two of my kids arrived in that time), and with life craziness (I moved out of state in there as well), it's been an up and down adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Oy! You're about the same place I was in lifts and life when I was having my first kid. I'll follow along with you and I'll be happy to offer any support as you wade through a complete lack of sleep once the little one gets here.

Got any names picked out?
    We're naming him Grant Everett. Everett is his granddad's name. Unfortunately he passed away, after a 2 year battle with cancer, earlier this month.

Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    Good luck, man. One tricky thing with the lack of sleep is determining when to push through the tiredness and when not to. And I have absolutely no way to point you in the right direction other than, for me, pushing through is usually better than not. Basically if you can find the time to lift and the energy to warm up, you might surprise yourself with how much you can push.

For context, I'm 36 (had to think about that for a minute) with 4 kids from 2-10, and it's been a wild ride. I started lifting seriously about 5 years ago (two of my kids arrived in that time), and with life craziness (I moved out of state in there as well), it's been an up and down adventure.
    Wow dude, 4? My wife is already nagging me to get a vasectomy! She hates being pregnant! lol

4/21/17

Bodyweight: 204

Squat: 320x5x4 (Volume PR)
    (Light) Power Clean: 135x3x3
    Deadlift: 425x5 (PR)

I've power cleaned 205 in the past but lately I've been getting a ton of pain in my arms (shoulders, biceps, forearms down to my thumbs) whenever I clean more than 135 or so. From reviewing the forums it sounds like a SLAP lesion or some other aggravation of the biceps tendon. I have virtually no pain or discomfort when I'm not lifting, but cleans light it up pretty hard. I attempted warm ups going up to 185 last week and there was so much pain it felt like my arms were starting to go numb. 135 sort of lit it up today. I might be taking a break from cleans for awhile. Snatch doesn't seem to aggravate it. I might try D.E. deadlifts on Tuesdays from now on. I'll talk to my coach about it.
    Last edited by Ryanusaurus; 04-22-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanusaurus View Post
    Wow dude, 4? My wife is already nagging me to get a vasectomy! She hates being pregnant! lol
    I'm 30 and have 4 kids 3-8. Speaking of wife hating being pregnant, my wife threw up for 9 months with every pregnancy, so getting a vasectomy was the least I could do after all her nausea and natural deliveries...

Nice PR's btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I'm 30 and have 4 kids 3-8. Speaking of wife hating being pregnant, my wife threw up for 9 months with every pregnancy, so getting a vasectomy was the least I could do after all her nausea and natural deliveries...

Nice PR's btw.
    Ah that sucks! Did she have Hyperemesis Gravidarum? I teased my wife that she was definitely going to have that, but she just had regular morning sickness. I think she's just generally intolerant to pain or discomfort of any kind...like when I tried to get her interested in lifting weights with me. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanusaurus View Post
    Ah that sucks! Did she have Hyperemesis Gravidarum? I teased my wife that she was definitely going to have that, but she just had regular morning sickness. I think she's just generally intolerant to pain or discomfort of any kind...like when I tried to get her interested in lifting weights with me. Ha!
    No clue what that is. I think she just had 'morning sickness', but the vomitting lasted all day and all pregnancy long. There were meds she could take to help with nausea, but those gave her a migraine. My wife hates lifting. I asked her how she could've gone through natural childbirth 4 times but can't stand weightlifting, and she said that the contractions weren't voluntary... She's lifting twice a week now, but not very much weight, yet (deadlifting 125x5). She only does it so that she won't be a frail old lady down the road, and to appease me :P

starting strength coach development program
    4/24/17

Bodyweight: 204

Press: 180x5 (PR)
    Bench: 250x5x5 (Volume PR)
    Chins: Bodyweight x12x3
    Dips: Bodyweight x12,11,9

Been chasing that 180x5 for a couple weeks. 5th rep was rough but I locked it out. I'm going to be microloading from here on out.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast