starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BBB's Texas Method logs

Default BBB's Texas Method logs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Creating this log to track my progress on Texas Method and my eventual switch to the Jordan Feigenbaum Intermediate/Advanced program. I'm considering personal training with Jordan or another SSC at some point as well, but in the mean time, figuring it out on my own.

Bio:
    ~6'1" 36yo ~205 lbs on my bathroom scale / ~201 lbs weighted in at competition. Family with kids. Have very limited time to train.
    I sort of kind of watch what I eat. Don't count calories.

Background:
    Started with StrongLifts 5x5 in Jan 2015 and putzed with that until Nov 2015. Had lots of stress, injury, etc, etc as I was learning the lifts, equipment and so on. Was mainly exercising to be stronger/more active. Noticed how much stronger my back has become (no need for chiropractor because I bent over and couldn't get back up, etc). Took lifting more seriously after that and started Texas Method in Jan 2016. I've changed it as time went on and here's my current arrangement:

Tue:
    Squat 5x5 @ ~87% of ID (RPE 8 ish)
    Bench 5x5 @ ~90% of previous 5RM (RPE 9)
    Rows 3x10 @ RPE 8(?)

Thur:
    Squat 2x5 @ 80% of VD
    OHP 3x5 @ RPE 8(?)
    Pullups 3x10 @ RPE easy...
    Hyperextensions 5x10 @ RPE super easy (or substitute RDL's with light weight)

Sat:
    Squat 5RM (increase by 5 lbs)
    Bench 5RM / 2x3RM / 1x3RM / 2x2RM (increase by 2.5 lbs)
    Bench 2x8 @ 80% of 5RM (back-off sets)
    Deadlift: Sumo 5RM (increase by 5 lbs)
    Deadlift: Conv 1x5 @ ~80% of sumo

If I fail Sat, I deload that lift. Due to time constraints I don't always have the time to finish every lift on Tue/Sat, but I try my best or just rush it with minimal rest times.

I think that's enough background... I don't think I'll post all of my training here, just because it'll probably be of no interest to anyone else and I already track/log my progress in a spreadsheet.

Great to see you writing a log. Keep pushing ahead and getting stronger.

I also started with stronglifts 5x5 back in 2010.

4/29/2017

Squat 405x5, something didn't feel right and I failed my first set on the 3rd rep. Waited 10 mins and attempted it again. It was pretty hard, but I did it. Failure is not an option. Not proud of the technique though. Something that should have been an RPE 9 turned into 10. I'm assuming it felt harder than usual because of lack of sleep (allergies kicking my ass)

Bench 242.5x5 (PR) went well. The switch to 2.5lb increments and slightly narrower grip seems to be doing the trick along with the additional stimulus after intensity. Should be able to get 245 next week... let's hope. Followed that up with 190x8x2 to fatigue muscles further. Now that my grip isn't as wide as it used to be, I feel like I'm involving chest and triceps equally, previously I used to have a bit more chest pump.

Deadlifted 415x5 sumo, working on getting that higher while not pushing squat. Also trying to work on my form/consistency here (back isn't perfect, working on that!). Followed that up with conventional 345x5 (RPE 7ish?). Feels like I'm not even close to my max yet, so I'll continue to push these to figure that out. Going slowly at 5lbs/wk though...

Really hesitant to post video's here, since I'm already self-deprecating enough (and hate my technique)... but here it is:

Nice, subscribed

Actually, this only shows excellent fighting spirit. Nice video! It's great that you went for the weight again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Great to see you writing a log. Keep pushing ahead and getting stronger.

I also started with stronglifts 5x5 back in 2010.
    Thanks, checked out your thread good stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    Nice, subscribed
    Quote Originally Posted by HaraldBluetooth View Post
    Actually, this only shows excellent fighting spirit. Nice video! It's great that you went for the weight again.
    Thanks!

5/2/2017 - Tues Volume Day

Total time: 75mins

Squats: 352.5x5x5 no problems. 3-min breaks for the first 3 sets, 4-min for the last 2. I over-corrected in order to make sure VD isn't 'killing me.' As a result VD has been a little too light for the past few months (sub-maximal volume baby ). Since squat isn't a priority right now, I'm just using the opportunity to rework my technique a bit. Changes I've been slowly making:
    1. Cut depth, to just break parallel (some of the reps were a little high, I corrected after seeing the vid)
    2. Try to use the entire foot vs leaning slightly more on the heels (after many months, I'm finally doing this consistently)
    3. Added a bit more forward lean/hip drive... but after thousands of reps this is really screwing with my technique (may be obvious in the video that the reps aren't consistent)

Bench: 217.5x5x5 went well. I didn't time the breaks, but anywhere from 2-4 mins. The last rep of the last set was a grinder. I really need to rest more if I'm going to get my bench higher. Might cut out a set or two of squats to give myself some more time.
    RANT: I really hate benching at the gym, commercial benches suck. They aren't supportive at all and it's hard to get and stay tight on them. I may bench at home next time; calibrated weight + good bench + spotter arms = much nicer.

Rows: 150x10x3. No video, wife went to grab the kids from babysitting, so I just knocked those out quickly

Mental/physical health: I feel like shit due to allergies. Didn't sleep most of the night again. Every time I go outside I feel like I can't breathe. Dr's orders were to double my allergy meds, so I started that yesterday... hope it helps.

Here's the video... comments/critiques welcome, especially on the bench. I purposefully left my setup in the video's this time

5/4/2017 - Thurs light day

Total time: 55 min

Squats: 280x5x2
    OHP: 135x5x2
    Pullups: BWx10x3
    RDL: 135x10x5

Not much to say, light day

5/6/2017 - Heavy Day

Total time: 145 min (!!)

Took a longer time to do a bit more/different work today, since I'll be traveling for a week. Hope to find a gym to go to, but that's usually iffy. Additionally, video'd more warmup sets/setup/etc. Really pissed off I didn't get my top deadlift set, but c'est la vie!

Feelz: Meds are kicking in, so I got some much needed rest at night. Was feeling generally weak, didn't think I'd get all my lifts, but execution didn't suffer.

Squats (55min):
    Warmup: 45x8, 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x1, 405x1
    Working weight: 425x1 @8, 355x5x3 @8(?). Testing how long it'll take to do squats on Jordan's programs and what types of weights I'll be working with. Almost an hour just for a single and 3 sets. Eeek! Not looking promising.

Bench (40 min):
    Warmup: 45x8, 135x5, 185x5, 225x1
    Working weight: 245x5 (PR!), 195x8x2. Nothing different here, just continuing my TM progression. Didn't think I'd get the 245 based on how warmups went and general feelz, but went for it anyway. Last rep was tough, but got it.

Deads (50 min):
    Warmup: 135x5 conv, 135x5 sumo, 225x4 conv, 225x4 sumo, 315x2 conv, 315x2 sumo, 365x1 sumo
    Working weight: 420x7 sumo, 355x5 conv. Since I may not train for another week, figured I'd go for AMRAP on sumo. I may have had one more, but my grip was starting to give out. Lower back, hamstrings, glutes and quads were feeling it too (esp after squats). Toughed through the 355x5 (85%) conventional after. Not happy with the form here.

Much longer vid than usual with subtitles (probably won't be making many more of these)... sooo pissed didn't record the 420x7 sumo

Last edited by BBB; 05-06-2017 at 01:32 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Solid work on the 420x7. High rep deadlift sets are a special breed of fun.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast