starting strength gym
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Han Shot First

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Congrats on your deadlift PR. Keep pushing ahead!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    +1, Deadlifts Rule!!
    Thanks! Hopefully I hit 400 before the year's out.

Congrats Man.

HLM Week 5 H

5/23/17
    198.2lb
    4200 cals/day

Bench - 190x5/2 (5 rep PR); 180 2x5; 170x5 (5 min rest)
    Inc db curls - 12x12/10/9 (60s rest)
    Squat - 305x3 (PR); 290 3x3; 275x3 (5 min rest)
    Superset (60s between sets):
    - db flyes 12x15/15/15
    - db front raises 12x12/12/10
    Deadlift - 275 3x5 (volume PR, 4 min rest)

Bench - 190 felt a lot heavier than it should have. Got stuck halfway up on the third rep of the second set. If I didn't know any better I'd say my anterior deltoids gave out. Back off sets felt uber heavy too today. I may need to change some things up with my bench programming. I managed 185 3x5 two weeks ago (barely), but now I can't hit 190 2x5.
    Squat - I hate squats, I really do. That is all.
    Deadlift - Hit a volume PR since I don't recall ever doing 3x5 on deadlifts before. We'll see how my lower back feels tomorrow.

EDIT - tweaks to HLM Bench program in this new thread http://startingstrength.com/resource...h-program.html
    Last edited by Aaron Montgomery; 05-23-2017 at 02:49 PM.

HLM Week 5 L

5/25/17
    198.2lb (time to up calories soon, bleh)
    Waist measurement - blob of fat

OHP - 110 3x5 (RPE's 9, 9.5, 9.5); 100 2x5 (4 min rest)
    Superset (60s rest):
    - db front raise 12x13/10
    - db lateral raise 12x12/10
    Chinups - x5/5/5/5/4 (24 total)
    Squat - 245 3x5 (80% of H day)
    Baker BB Rows - 95 3x12 (90s rest)

OHP - Bleh. Barely managed 110 3x5 when I hit 115 3x5 on SSLP. Oh well, bench is the focus right now, not OHP. Shoulders felt really fatigued today.
    Chinups - Glad I was able to manage sets of 5 since I wasn't able to do any last week due to my swollen finger.
    Squat - 80% of H day sure feels heavy. Decent bar speed though.
    BB Rows - Too tired to do more chinups, so did a few sets of light BB rows.

Woke up at 1:30am with intense lower back pain. Moving to the couch didn't help much. Guessing it has something to do with helping a friend move a bunch of stuff out of his second story apartment Thursday night. Popped motrin and sat on a tennis ball for a while this morning. Lower back is feeling a little better now, but definitely can't train today. I can barely bend over to tie my shoes my lower back hurts so much. Did some light gardening today, and will continue to use a tennis ball and foam roller to try to get my range of motion back.

Sure hope my lower back is better tomorrow, I hate not lifting on schedule.

EDIT - did a bunch of stretching today, full range of motion is back, but I'm still experiencing a lot of lower back pain. I think it's mainly from tension/trigger points in my glutes. Sitting on tennis balls is helping, but not getting rid of the tension. If I go through the motions of an RDL without a BB, my lower back feels a lot of pain (regional, not a specific point) the first 1/3 of the movement.
    Last edited by Aaron Montgomery; 05-27-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Unhappy Partial session today

I couldn't bear not lifting today, so I decided to see what I could get away with tonight before my lower back hurt too much.

5/27/17
    198lb (4300 cals/day now)

CGBP - 167.5 5x5 (PR for CGBP)
    Squat - warmed up to a 225 single

CGBP - Good bar speed, but definitely feeling the 7.5lb increase. Next week my CGBP 5x5 will be 90% of my Heavy day bench. Hopefully this setup will keep the bench fahves moving.
    Squat - Lower back felt fine after benching, so I decided to try squatting. The 225 single warmup was a grinder with a good bit of lower back pain, so I called it a night.

If my lower back is 90% or better tomorrow I'll squat and deadlift. Otherwise, not sure what I should do. I plan to keep on foam rolling and sitting on tennis balls for the next few days to see if that keeps the tension in my glutes down.

restart light and easy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    restart light and easy
    Can't compute the above statement I'm scheduled to hit a 315lb squat triple in 2 weeks. I can't reset now! I'll take the next couple days off, and see what happens Tuesday. Maybe I can sneak a 310 triple in, even though I skipped medium day. Probably wishful thinking though...

Hah you sound like me. Lower back pain sucks but not training sucks even more!

starting strength coach development program
    Got bit by the program-hopping bug since I skipped medium day last week due to lower back pain. Going to do a bit of experimenting over the summer with lifting 6 days a week with a decent bit of adding accessory volume. New program is a mix of HLM and advice from an article by Greg Nuckols: Powerlifters Should Train More Like Bodybuilders ? Stronger by Science . TLDR; "Train your main lifts like a powerlifter, and your accessories like a bodybuilder." This seems to be Dan Green's mentality as well.

Tentative summer program while school is out:

Monday - Bench (HLM H) + upper accessories
    Tuesday - Squat (HLM H) + DL (HLM M)
    Wednesday - OHP + shoulder accessories + chinups
    Thursday - Squat (HLM L)
    Friday - CGBP (HLM M) + upper accessories
    Saturday - DL (HLM H) + Squat (HLM M)

Wednesday and Thursday are rather light/recovery days, so I'm only lifting "heavy" 4 days out of the week. All accessories are on a 3-4 week progression plan. 3x8-12, then 4x8-12, then 5x8-12; same weight. Fourth week weight can be increased, or do a light week of 1x8-12 if I'm feeling beat up. New schedule should help keep workout session 90 minutes or less. Been getting sick of these 2 hour+ sessions.

I'm gonna keep a log of all measurements over the summer, to see if there's any significant growth in muscle size with the added volume.
    Last edited by Aaron Montgomery; 05-30-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast