Thread: IronGeek's Training Log Part Deux: Striving for Mediocrity

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    6/12/17 - Returning from an overseas business trip - aka "oh the pain!"
    Squat - 390 x 5 x 4
    Press - 150 x 5 x 4
    SGDL - 375 x 5 x 2
    Conv DL - 375 x 5 (Didn't have it in me to do another set of SGDLs).
    Dips - BW x 15, 12, 8 (Wow. Never did 15 dips before. And after a week off!?? WTF?)

Hardest workout in a long time. Business trip of one week off + absolute garbage sleep + zero training + jet lag + lots of beer drinking (went to Germany) leads one to become very untrained very quickly. In fact, if I was to develop a program to de-train someone quickly, I think this formula would be the prescription. Anyway, stepping back a couple of weeks in GGW to recover.

One funny thing is that despite the difficulty on the heavy lifts (squat and dl), my presses and dips felt great. I think it's because I lost lots of conditioning and was huffing and puffing on 4th and 5th reps. I just didn't have the reserve to make 4th and 5th reps feel light. They were tough. Whereas on the "light" lifts, cardio wasn't as much of a problem because muscle mass trained was less, so I got out of breath much later in the set.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a few days of DOMs. Lucky me...

6/14/17 - "Recovery Day"
    Squat - 340 x 5 x 2 (paused)
    Bench - 240 x 5 x 4
    Rows (with some body English) 255 x 6 x 4
    Dips - BW x 10, BW+25 x 10,10

Not sure why it's called recovery day. It's still a lot of work.
    Soreness on squat warmups was brutal, but after the first work set, it wasn't so bad.

Seems like my golfers' elbow started to come back during rows. I hate elbow problems.
    Back at it Friday...

Congrats on the impressive numbers, from a fellow older lifter. Hope I can get a 400-pound squat one of these days (or years).

Thanks Codger! I think we older guys have a few tricks left.
    Hope you hit that 400lb goal!

6/16/17
    Squat - 365 x 5 x 3 (paused)
    Press - 165 x 5 x 4
    DL - work up to 435 x 6

Wow. What a difference a couple of days makes. Still sore, but not as bad as Wednesday.
    Squats felt light. I owned them. Not as much huffing and puffing either.

Left elbow is definitely a bit sore. Got a nice tennis elbow condition I'm working through.
    After deadlift (which also felt really good), I decided to do some chair dips with my elbows rotated externally so the fingers point backward. I can definitely feel the elbow at the lockout. I am hoping these do for my tennis elbow what dips did for my golfers elbow. We'll see...

6/17/17 - Remedial Bench day
    235 x 6 x 3
    245 x 5
    255 x 4
    265 x 3
    275 x 2
    280 x 1
    225 x 7
    Dips - BW x 10 x 2

6/19/19 - Heavy Squat day
    Squat - 390 x 6 x 4
    Press - 150 x 6, 155 x 6 x 2
    DL (conventional, w/ straps) - 375 x 6 x 3

This was the toughest workout I've had in a long while. Just agonizing. It probably doesn't help that I polished off a bottle of wine last night, but i didn't expect this at all.

I did complete the prescribed sets/reps, but it was really tough. Funny thing is, two weeks ago, I cruised through 390 x 6 x 4 with plenty left in the tank, so I know I can do it, I must be just woefully de-conditioned or something...

Have to play catch up after my own break. Looks like you are still plenty strong.

What is this remedial bench day? Is this part of the program?

Quote Originally Posted by JFick View Post
    Have to play catch up after my own break. Looks like you are still plenty strong.

What is this remedial bench day? Is this part of the program?
    Remedial bench is my way of trying to add bench volume to the GGW program (it's my own addition). Kinda like remedial math - cuz I'm behind and need to catch up.
    GGW has you benching 1x/week (2x/week press). I just thought I'd start my Saturdays by going downstairs and doing a bit of benching (bro day) for 25 minutes. I'm hoping the extra volume will keep my bench moving along. We'll see if it helps or hurts.

My work today...
    Squat - 340 x 6 x 2 - last rep with pause.
    Bench - 240 x 6 x 4 - not too bad. Last rep of last set slow, but I did it with a pause.
    Rows - 235 x 8 x 4 - with some body english
    Dips - (BW + 25) x 8 x 3 For elbow health. And cuz I can do them. And cuz my elbows hurt when doing pull/chin ups.

Still feel kinda weak. Not sure why. Still think I'm feeling my trip to Germany hurt my conditioning. Hope to get it back before things get really heavy next week.

starting strength coach development program
    6/23/17
    Squat - 365 x 6 x 3
    Press - 160 x 6 x 4
    DL - 440 x 6
    Dips - BW x 15, 12, 12
    Floor joist chins - BW x 4, 4

Everything is so-so. Except deadlifts. They felt pretty strong @ 440 for 6 reps. Could've got another rep - maybe two (is that @8.5?).
    Next week begtins GGW week 8. I think I can do all the lifts except (maybe) heavy squats. We'll see...

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast