starting strength gym
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: HLM and trying not to be the elephant in the room.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy02 View Post
    Hey thanks.

Smashed my left middle fingertip in between the track and sprocket getting the track off a John Deere skid steer Friday. One of the teeth on the sprocket got the very tip and the weight of the track tore the skin and some of the nail bed from the finger. Remember kids when you and your friends are yanking something heavy off machinery make sure everyone knows to let go at the same time.

Deadlifting Monday is going to be interesting.
    Ouch...said with a shudder and a cringe.... hope if heals quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by entering40strongerthan20 View Post
    Ouch...said with a shudder and a cringe....
    oh god my exact reaction too!

Medium day
    Weight 476

Nails usually heal quick but tend to grow back slow. I pulled the nail off Wednesday night with a pair of pliers after soaking it in some salt water. Accidently jammingit into things hurts more than yanking it off.

Squat
    280x5

Incline
    160x5x3
    135x8

SLDL
    260x5x2
    Dropped the weight on these.

Heavy Day
    Weight 476

Looking at my spreadsheet in three months I've lost 30lbs. Which at my weight is pretty slow. So with that and another reason. I'm abandoning the plan for squat singles. Instead starting next week I'm dropping the weight on squats to and going with 3x5 for all three days with the off set staying at 80 and 90%. Some good news is that the pain in my ankle and knee have been completely gone for weeks now.

Squat
    320x1x5
    I was not happy with these. The first two were high and I could feel it on the first and video confermed it on the second. The bar usually just misses touching the safeties but the second single was a good three or four inches above them. Hence the new effort to rebuild my squat.

Bench
    215x1x5
    172.5x8x2
    These went fine and I had to lower the safety height a notch because of back fat loss.

Deadlift 1.5" block
    345x1x3
    SLDL
    255x5x2
    Both went up fast and easy. Probably could have just went for a triple but l think I'll stick with singles and back off for a while.

Light Day
    Weight 474

Good news. I figured out the whole squat depth issue. Bad news. Not much I can do about it.

Squat
    220x5x3
    Picked light day to do some experimenting. So with video and a five gallon bucket I figured out it's my "belt" messing with me. How? Well, the last time I though about checking squat depth I was fatter and most of my gut squished out of the top of my belt moving it out of the way like some kind of flab brassiere. How ever now my gut hangs more so now the belt holds it down and gets in the way. With out the belt I can easily touch the bucket with it I have to force myself to it. I think the obvious answer is to just squat as deep as I can and focus on losing weight till it's not a problem anymore.

Press
    135x1x5
    117.5x5x2
    Went up easy

Power Snatch
    125x2x4
    Complete failure, try again next week and if it doesn't go any better I'll try something else for a while and come back it later.

Medium Day
    Weight 472

Finger nail is finally growing back. Just a little thing all the way back even has a little cuticle on it. It's kind of funny your finger tip being mangled doesn't mess with pulls nearly as much as it does presses. Something to note for the future.

Squat
    245x5x3

Good news. A few tweaks, like widening my foot width a bit and pointing my toes out more, and I can get my big fat gut between my big fat thighs again. Bad news. I just realized how much forward travel at the bottom is in the bar today because I literally weigh nearly twice as much as it does. So now I need to force myself to sit back more or maybe have the bar lower; both? If it's not one thing it's another.

Incline
    162.5x5x4

RDL
    215x8x2

Figured I'd rotate these in for a while while I'm messing with my squat.

Take heart....many of us struggle with consistent Squat form. I know I sure do. So...as you said. Keep losing weight, keep trying to get good form, and keep getting stronger. Workout to workout...and even month to month changes don't matter...look at your progress over the long term. And even though you think you could be losing more quickly, 10lb a month is still awesome progress. Averaged at 120 a year..... (again year to year is what matters). Plus you are likely building muscle as well...You may want to do basic body fat measurements...I use the Navy Method...quick on-line calculation of height, waist, neck measurements. Not perfect, but it will probably show you that your body fat loss is higher than your total weight loss....which means...muscle growth.

For the body fat measurements I'd probably have to find one of those hydrostatic tanks because the Navy formula puts me at 50%. I don't think it was ever meant for such extreams.

And you're right year to year is what counts. My doctor says my blood pressure is fine and I don't have diabetes so there's no need for a crash diet. It took ten years to get here so taking three or four to get back isn't so bad.

Does climbing up and down a crane count as cardio?

Heavy Day
    Weight 473

Squat
    280x5x3

Think I need to get an actual belt. Tried getting the bar lower and it felt really awkward but I think I just need more practice with it.

Bench
    217.5x1x5
    175x8x2

217.5 felt light, maybe a 5lbs jump next week?

Deadlift 1.5" block
    350x1x3
    260x5x2

These singles went up easy too. Took it off the blocks for the back off sets.

starting strength coach development program
    Keep up the good work jimmy02! We all struggle with squat form.

My son's first set of 5 looked like shit last night -- out of balance, and struggling.

He concentrated on the "master cue" i.e. visualize the bar moving straight up and down, and nailed the next two sets.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast