starting strength gym
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: (Not) The greatest log in the world (this is just a tribute)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mon 17/07: Cardioooooooo

Food yesterday: Target: 2794 kcal / Actual: 2743 kcal - macros compliant

Activity yesterday: 6.5k steps

Sleep last night: 5 hrs 2 mins - 34 mins awake

AM BW: 68.1kg (+0.3kg)

Elliptical - HIIT + SS:
    3 mins warmup
    6 rounds of 20s on / 40s off, then slow to 10 mins
    Up a notch @ 10 mins, LISS to 18 mins then down a notch and warm down
    20 mins total; 3.74km, 279kcal burn, ave HR 140BPM
    _______

Stayed up to watch the GP last night but was determined to get some conditioning in this morning. I did lie in bed for 90mins before the race to try and catch up so rest wasn't as bad as it looks. Anyway - ho-lee crap this was hard work. My chest was burning after the second interval, I'm a long way from where I was 6 months ago when I was doing intervals 2-3 times a week.

Logging this properly, because it's probably the last hurrah for my elliptical. I put it on the market over the weekend and already have a buyer who reckons they'll pick it up tonight. It's been a really good and useful machine for me, especially at this time of year when it's so damn cold and dark in the mornings that walking/running outside is less practical. Problem is, it's a bit too big for the space I have and as I buy more gear my gym is getting more cramped; also I feel like I'm fairly adapted to it now and a bit bored with it.

Ideally I'd like something a bit more compact, that I can use for both steady state and intervals, that I can easily move around out of the way if needed. Ideally it'd work both upper and lower body too.

Originally I was thinking I wanted an air bike, but I don't think that will be much smaller or manoeuvrable, and the likelihood of one coming up second hand is pretty low so I'd probably need to buy new and would be a fair few dollars out of pocket even allowing for the proceeds of the elliptical. So now I'm really not sure what to do. If the assault bike is out, my other three thoughts are spin bike, rower or treadmill in that order. Spin bike fits the bill for size and maneuverability, although they're lower body only, and I've seen a few come up for sale second hand lately. Rower would be better for full body work but I'm not sure what I can get that's compact (especially on the second hand market). Treadmill would be fine if I can find something small and foldable, but I get the feeling the small/light ones are probably pretty shitty to use.

Throwing it out there to the SS community, if you could only buy one machine for cardio and needed something compact that you can move around, what would you get?

Of course the other option is do conditioning outside/some other way, and spend the money on a new bar, or some other type of machine. I was toying with the idea of a leg press, if one came up.....

Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post

Stayed up to watch the GP last night but was determined to get some conditioning in this morning.
    I miss the days when Hamilton's team mates tried to take him out

I had a spin bike - it's OK, but not great. And you are right in that the small foldable treadmills are shit. I vote move it outside - you get warm soon enough, even down there in tasmania

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    I miss the days when Hamilton's team mates tried to take him out

I had a spin bike - it's OK, but not great. And you are right in that the small foldable treadmills are shit. I vote move it outside - you get warm soon enough, even down there in tasmania
    Yeah I am not a Hamilton fan. He's a very quick driver when he's on but when he's not he's a whiny little girl. Pretty sure he'd be loving having Bottas as a compliant teammate.

They mentioned on the telecast last night that Ferrari are trying to renew Vettel's contract but he wants Kimi to commit to another year before signing. Commentators said 'I wonder why that is' and didn't elaborate... my thoughts were it's exactly the same thing - Kimi is in the twilight of his career and won't give Vettel any fight. I mean seriously, are these guys racing drivers or what? Surely they want someone that will push them?

Anyway. Ricciardo had a good race from the very back of the field, so that was something.

Yeah I am not overly fond of the spin bike idea, it's just the size/rollability that appeals with that option. Guess we'll see whether this guy comes through tonight, but I've had a pretty good run with selling stuff on Gumtree.

It's been minus 4-5 degrees overnight here a few times lately. NFW am I going outside to run in that, and walking isn't high intensity enough for proper 'conditioning' anyway I was thinking more buy some kettlebell handles for my Ironmasters and use them for conditioining circuits or something... but not sure if I can push myself hard enough. I like the machine option because I can catch up on some Youtube/Netflix/Podcasts etc while doing it mindlessly, whereas some kind of weights circuit I'd have to think about what I'm doing.

Instead of a spin bike, you could get a bike trainer and a bike. Then you can cycle indoors when you want or outdoors. Best brand is Kurt Kinetic/CycleOPS. I've had my KK for almost 10 years with no maintenance. And it folds up and can fit in a small closet.

I would definitely get a rower if I could afford one.

Re F1, I like the Scandinavians, of course. So Valtteri and Kimi.

Quote Originally Posted by Jugrock View Post
    Instead of a spin bike, you could get a bike trainer and a bike. Then you can cycle indoors when you want or outdoors. Best brand is Kurt Kinetic/CycleOPS. I've had my KK for almost 10 years with no maintenance. And it folds up and can fit in a small closet.
    I actually have a cheapie mountain bike already (which used to be my wife's) so the thought had crossed my mind.... I find it pretty uncomfortable to sit on though and I sorta figured there'd be trade offs somewhere. It's a great thought, probably a very cheap and easy option - thanks man! My main issue with it is it's legs only and I really want to move the upper body as well.

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    I would definitely get a rower if I could afford one.

Re F1, I like the Scandinavians, of course. So Valtteri and Kimi.
    Fair enough too. I'm a bit of a Kimi fan for sure - such a no-nonsense kinda guy. It's a shame he seems to be in the twilight of his career. I actually get the feeling Bottas is similar but a bit happier demeanor - he deserves more of the limelight, I bet he'd have a massive fan base if he wasn't living in the shadow of Britain's favourite son.

Rower is a great option I reckon. At this stage the air bike and rower are probably the two frontrunners, main benefit of the rower being I am more likely to find one cheap/second hand locally so I'll save a few bucks. The elliptical was collected and paid for tonight, so I'm gonna have to start thinking more seriously about it, but probably will hold off for a week or so as I might have a few extra dollars coming my way soon if I'm a good boy

_____
    Tue 18/07: Deadlift

Food yesterday: Target: 2794 kcal / Actual: 2749 kcal - macros compliant

Activity yesterday: 8.4k steps

Sleep last night: 7 hrs 26 mins - 34 mins awake

AM BW: 68.1kg (no change)

Back Squat:
    2x5 @ 20kg
    1x5 @ 45kg
    1x5 @ 65kg
    --- Belt on (5th hole) ---
    4x5 @ 85kg

Deadlift:
    1x5 @ 90kg
    1x5 @ 105kg
    1x3 @ 120kg
    1x3 @ 135kg

2" Deficit Deadlift:
    3x4 @ 120kg

Barbell Row:
    1x8 @ 45kg too light
    3x8 @ 47.5kg
    1x8, 1x9 @ 45kg

Face Pulls:
    4x15 @ 22.5kg

And here is the home movie:
    _______
    • So tired yesterday I shifted my Tuesday morning workout to the evening, knowing it was a deadlift session. Very glad I did. The extra sleep was much needed!
    • Session notes:
      • LIght squats to warmup, pretty happy with these, not much to report really.
      • Pretty happy with the deadlifts as well - the RX was 1-2 reps @ 95% of 1RM, and I managed a triple, which I'm pretty sure is a PR but I'd have to confirm. Also a bit happier with form; while my upper back is rounded, I think I managed to keep it fairly rigid through the lift and not let it round any more, which is a big improvement.
      • Form not so good on the deficit deadlifts, was getting really roundy by the end, but there was a fair bit of fatigue by then so I forgive myself.
      • Barbell rows were good, lots of volume, upper back was smoked by the end. Then some face pulls to finish which are pretty boring really.
      • The whole session took bang on 90 mins, including about 20 minutes interruption when the guy came to pick up the elliptical, so it was heaps faster than I expected when I saw the programming. Probably rushed through it a little, but was great. Now I'm really looking forward to a heavy bench session on Thursday night.
    • I'm off to eat a truckload of food and sleep. Hope everyone in internet lifter land has a great night!

Thu 20/07: Bench Press

Food yesterday: Target: 2794 kcal / Actual: 2754 kcal - macros compliant

Activity yesterday: 7.3k steps

Sleep last night: 7 hrs 37 mins - 39 mins awake

AM BW: 68.3kg (no change from yesterday)

Bench Press:
    2x5 @ 20kg
    1x5 @ 45kg
    1x2 @ 60kg
    1x1+F @ 68.5kg bit ambitious (BZZT, wrong!)
    Edit to fix: 1x1+F @ 69.5kg bit ambitious
    1x2 @ 67.5kg (PR for a double, I think)
    4x5 @ 60kg

Incline Bench Press:
    2x4 @ 42.5kg
    1x8, 1x7 @ 40kg

EZ Bar Curls:
    1x5 @ 35kg
    1x7, 1x8 @ 32.5kg

Dips:
    1x15, 2x12 @ BW + 2.5kg

--- supersetted with ---

Seated (incline) Dumbbell Curls:
    2x12, 1x11 @ 27.5lbs

Video of some lifting:

Instagram of the bench double

_______
    • Been sleeping more. This I like.
    • Session notes:
      • Bit of ego lifting with the bench. The RX was a double @ 95%, but I deliberately overshot it a little since a) I wanted it to be over body weight and b) I think my current 1RM (70kg) is conservative. I was SO, so close to getting it but I misgrooved a little I think. Dropped 1kg off the bar and got a double anyway which I think is a PR for 2. Holy shit the back off sets were hard work though - the very last rep was almost a total fail. EDIT: Loolllll actually realised the next day (today) that I misloaded the bar, the yellow fractionals are 1kg not 0.5kg, so it was actually 69.5kg I failed - no bloody wonder!
      • Dunno if it was the bench being hard or what but incline benching was a shitshow. Managed fahves at this weight last time, not tonight sonny jim. Pussied out and backed off the weight, made do with what I had on the night.
      • Heavy curls. Tris and bis. Bit of bro stuff. I was rooted by the end, took a few minutes break before the last set and there was still a fair bit of rest pause in it. I logged 11, because my left arm had given out and refused to do more than that but I actually did about 14 with the right!
      • I probably rushed this a bit, since I didn't get downstairs til later than planned - only 67 minutes all up. Funny how the workouts you dread turn out good and the ones you look forward to are sometimes underwhelming. Still, I got pretty close to the bench number I wanted and my arms are massively pumped so it wasn't all bad.
    • Food and a sleep in is the prescription now. Have a top night all, peace!
    Last edited by BenM; 07-20-2017 at 11:26 PM. Reason: asdasd

Nice work dude. But I think there's something in the air. Seems like a lot of people are having "off" weeks.

But I'm surprised you were able to get the double after missing 68.5. If I miss something or go really heavy, I feel like I can't do shit all afterwards

Nice work, Ben!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks fellas. Yeah it's funny Mahendra, or maybe it's because the weights are comparatively low but I can still grind after a fail sometimes. When we tested 1RMs a month or so back I missed 122.5kg on the squat twice, but was able to hit 120kg five minutes later. It was super grindy and Andy said the same thing, he was surprised I got it after the misses.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast