starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Marty Gallagher

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Those lifts have a 200 lb. guy in mind. The ratios drop as your bodyweight goes up.
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm new to the site but are enjoying the articles and interviews posted (as well as your book...) Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    What about the OHP, what's the equivalent?
    Bodyweight.

After hearing the first interview and the story about Hugh Cassidy, I pounded down 6 quarts of whole milk for about 3 months. The result was that I took my squat from 365x5x3 to 445x5. I got my body weight up to ~245-250 at 5'6" at one point. I do admit to being one of those "pussies" who was dissatisfied with how fat I got towards the end, but you can't argue the effectiveness of "eating your way through the sticking points". I don't mean to take anything away from these awesome lifters, but I can only imagine that the results would have been even that much better if I had some chemical help. In short, Marty speaks truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Derf123 View Post
    Re: part 3 in the interview. I think it was mentioned you should aim for a 1.5x bench, 2x squat, 2.5x deadlift vs. bodyweight.

How far up in bodyweight would this typically be applicable? Following SS I see myself hitting 110 kilos bodyweight within a relative short span. Which would mean a 165kg bench, 220kg squat and a 275kg DL.

Lifts I've only seen on youtube, never in real life...

My question is, would these lifts be expected by a 110 kg guy, lifting for a few years, or are we talking a very impressive performance? I should perhaps mention I'm 33.
    Just as a reference point when you discuss these numbers are you referencing them as 1 rep maxes or are we talking worksets

Great interview, good to hear. The military aspect certainly hit home. I'm trying to do that in my unit, expose my platoon to strength training and teaching what I know so far. I unforunately have yet to make it out to one of your seminars, I feel confident that I am OK in teaching the lifts and at least can expose people to correct major deficiencies in form, such as not lifting in running shoes, hand positioning, bar position, and body position. Though I feel I could be better with fine tuning people's form.

On that note I just got in charge of the gym here, which means I can start making acquisitions and start replacing all our shitty bent chromed bars with ridiculous knurling. Then onto power racks. Hopefully some prowlers as well and if possible I would like to institute strongman related paraphenalia. What do you think Rip? I figure that strength training is key, but if there were to be secondary things to use or be training in I feel strongman items would help.

I'm hoping to build it up so that if you guys do decide to do a different seminar in Canada you and your team can come down to Edmonton on our base here and help me to expand peoples strength horizons. I've already gotten a lot of good feedback from my NCOs who I have taken through some training.

After watching Pt. 3, I have to say this my favorite series yet. Marty talked about the importance of the basic lifts, importance of training environment (one gets stronger training with those stronger than you), coaching some of the greats, and of course, the milk discussion. The history of the sport is priceless. The SS series and Platform Vids are by far the best contribution to one's strength training. I can only imagine a dream seminar of Rip, Marty and Wendler. Priceless.

Really enjoyed the interview. They're a great motivator and interesting.

I just wanted to add my thanks for another great discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdemarco View Post
    Just as a reference point when you discuss these numbers are you referencing them as 1 rep maxes or are we talking worksets
    1 rep maxes, if you're asking me.

starting strength coach development program
    The stuff about the military in part 3: It's exactly the same in the German Armed Forces. Fucked up and sad.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast