starting strength gym

Thread: Seated Press

Default Seated Press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Due to the low ceiling in my basement, I have not been in able to press standing for quite some time. About 1.5 years. I'm 6'1" and 190lbs and have worked my press up to 160x5x3 and have pressed 185lbs at 185lbs body weight.

I'm just curious, how much awesomeness am I missing out on not being able to stand and press?

All ?

I enjoy standing presses, but I think seated presses are good too. Just do what you have to do. If your big 3 are still moving up, you are all good. :-)

I tried seated presses briefly (low ceiling also).
    But I only have a flat bench, no backrest, and I constantly felt like I was going to tip over backwards.

So now I carry my weights upstairs to the back porch (summer) or garage (winter) on pressing days.
    It's more awesome to clean the bar from the ground for each set anyway.

I can seated press over 200, I think I got up to 210 for a single but I'm too lazy to check my log because it was over a year ago. I can standing press 170 for a single but that was before I got some coaching from Tom Campitelli. I'm cycling back up for 5 sets of 3 with 165 next week so e'll see how that goes. So the answer is in my case less weight can be used. But when I was doing a seated press I was lowering the barbell from the top instead of starting from the bottom at a dead stop. I'm going to take a run at a heavier single in a month or so, and then try push presses to see what happens. I may even really go crazy and try to improve my hopeless power clean to do a power clean and push press combo. Standing is much harder but immensely satisfying.

Yeah if its a big deal take your weights outside. But if not. Keep pounding the seated press. I can do (like Mark) more in the seated press than standing. I dont think youre missing anything major by doing them seated though.

And like Callador said if your big three is going up I wouldnt change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I can seated press over 200, I think I got up to 210 for a single but I'm too lazy to check my log because it was over a year ago. I can standing press 170 for a single but that was before I got some coaching from Tom Campitelli. I'm cycling back up for 5 sets of 3 with 165 next week so e'll see how that goes. So the answer is in my case less weight can be used. But when I was doing a seated press I was lowering the barbell from the top instead of starting from the bottom at a dead stop. I'm going to take a run at a heavier single in a month or so, and then try push presses to see what happens. I may even really go crazy and try to improve my hopeless power clean to do a power clean and push press combo. Standing is much harder but immensely satisfying.

Im right in this ballpark too. same numbers same difference between standing and sitting. Not that this is good statistics but this doesn't surprise me. I think sitting, with a back support, allows for a movement that's closer to an incline bench press. In other words, I think that your upper back gives you something to press against and your legs can push your back into the bench hard too. Reaction forces help. This make seated presses easier by 20%!

starting strength coach development program
    That's good to know others in the same boat. For the record, I don't use a back support because I feel like I'd be even more removed from mimicking a standing press.

I have taken my weights outside before, but honestly, I really dont feel like carrying a 7 foot barbell and numerous weights up my basement steps and outside and onto the grass where I have to make a platform to stand on. Especially in crappy weather.

I'll keep hammering the seated press away.