starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Mornings vs RDLs

Default Good Mornings vs RDLs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is there any reason to prefer good mornings over RDLs, other than pure variability in training?

I like GMs better. There are more variations you can use, all of which are slightly different.

Especially if you have access to different bars for GMs. Cambered bar GMs and SSB GMs are awesome.

If you only have access to standard bars, I'd do GMs and Dimel Deadlifts instead of RDLs, but that's just a personal preference.

Also GMs from pins, GMs with wide or close stances, various forms of squat/gm combos.

I prefer GMs. Not sure why but they just seem harder through the whole range of motion. And my pecs and the front of my shoulders take a beating on deadlifts sometimes, and the RDLs can aggravate the same spots, whereas GMs don't. That said, at the end of a particularly heavy and intense squat session, I'll go with RDLs precisely because they are less punishing than GMs and work well to loosen things up, calm everything down and halt the shakes.

Never heard about Dimels before, thanks! Watched a video on them. They look basically like speed RDLs with emphasis on squeezing glutes. As I always squeeze glutes hard on (R)DLs, it means they are basically speed RDLs for me?

Here's my take on things...I feel good mornings much more in my low back compared to RDLs. Good mornings help a lot on the squat in my opinion as far as not letting the bar come forward and keeping it straight. RDLs are helpful for deadlifts and in my case, the pull for the olympic lifts. I feel RDLs more in my glutes/hams than low back. RDLs are also good for helping activate the lats to keep the bar in tight on a snatch, clean & jerk, or deadlift.

I like GMs better than RDLs because I find they are much, much easier to recover from, mainly on account of the much lower weight used and higher reps. RDLs have you pulling a lot of weight and I find it interferes way too much with deadlifting. My favourite variation is the Zercher GM. Destroys my hamstrings and lower back like a regular GM but because the bar is in front of you, it works your abs insanely hard.

But in my opinion, nothing beats dead-stop SLDLs for developing hamstring and lower back strength. I like to do 3 sets of 5 after power clean day. On deadlift day, I like to do 3 sets of 8 Zercher GMs.
    Last edited by lebronjames; 11-01-2012 at 09:32 AM.

The reason I prefer Dimels is because I always stall a deadlift right about mid/upper shin. I can always break it off the floor, and I never fail at lockout as long as I can get the bar above my knees.

The Dimels target my weak point better and allow me to work on the speed I require to move smoothly through my weak point. If your weak point is different, RDLs might be a better choice, or at least rotate between the exercises. I've personally found that Dimels help me with my weakness where RDLs really haven't. That's sure to be an individual thing, though.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    The reason I prefer Dimels is because I always stall a deadlift right about mid/upper shin. I can always break it off the floor, and I never fail at lockout as long as I can get the bar above my knees.
    Yeah, I see, thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast