starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Andy Baker : Programming for Older Adults

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by lankytunes View Post
    Thanks for the replies, Andy.

I agree 100% about your approach to "selling" yourself, but I was also more asking about getting that FIRST point of contact. Are you relying on references or are you visiting the local bridge club : ) ?
    Most everything is referral based at this point. I'm admittedly not a great marketer. Old people will refer other older people. And my younger clients often bring in their parents or other older people that they know. My oldest client is the grandmother of a high school swimmer that I have trained for several years. Articles in the local newspaper have been effective, provided they focus on the client and not on me or the gym. I did a lunch and learn at a local chiropractors office that brought in a lot of leads but not a whole lot of sign ups. My rates are not cheap, so I have to make sure that my marketing will attract clients who can afford my services

Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    Andy, Thanks for sharing your experience with older lifters. I'm 62 and have been lifting for a year. Your thoughts on intermediate programming for older lifters was very useful. I'm going to try it on my Bench which has stalled on me at the same weight over and over. There were all kinds of other little tidbits in your talk which I also found useful. Thanks!
    Thanks Gene. I'm glad it was helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnytheGeek View Post
    Andy, I'm wondering if you have any success addressing the diet side of things for these older clients. Will they eat enough? I know dealing with my mother in her 80's, she's still stuck on the dogma that she needs low calorie, low fat diet. She's quite active including mowing her own yard.
    Yes, in general they will under-eat on high quality foods. Will she drink Milk? See if you can get her to do GOMAD. I'm joking. See if you can get her to add in a couple glasses per day on top of 3 meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    Andy, Thanks for sharing your experience with older lifters. I'm 62 and have been lifting for a year. Your thoughts on intermediate programming for older lifters was very useful. I'm going to try it on my Bench which has stalled on me at the same weight over and over. There were all kinds of other little tidbits in your talk which I also found useful. Thanks!
    Have you tried microloading yet? It's great to be able to prolong linear progression for as long as possible. Go to a fastener supply store or look online for large diameter washers. I ordered eight each that are about 0.62 pounds each, so two are approximately 1.25 pounds. Obviously these work for OHP once that starts stalling as well.

Andy, I've listened to this lecture about five times now (not counting when I was actually there in the room).

This is an outstanding resource. It will make a huge impact on how I practice going forward. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Andy, I've listened to this lecture about five times now (not counting when I was actually there in the room).

This is an outstanding resource. It will make a huge impact on how I practice going forward. Thanks.
    I thought I was weird watching it three times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    I thought I was weird watching it three times.
    I'm basically ripping Andy off for concepts for my own coaching business. To be fair, a couple of times I "watched" it on background, and the fifth time I finally wised up and took notes.

Had another listen to this, plenty of gems I missed before.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekingman View Post
    Had another listen to this, plenty of gems I missed before.
    I do the same thing with the video library. Sully's "The Importance of What We Do" is an excellent re-motivator.

You coming to any more seminars in the future?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12