starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andy Baker : Programming for Older Adults

Default Andy Baker : Programming for Older Adults

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Andy Baker of Kingwood Strength & Conditioning discusses programming for older adults.

Video

Lecture recorded at the Starting Strength Coaches Association Conference, October 2013.

Great watch, not just for coaches but for those of us who are sold on the koolaid and want our parents to get involved. The two questions I have are about the LP itself. How much weight increase per time? Start of by 5 or go straight to micro plating? And with the workup, should it be to a comfortable weight or to the standard point where form starts to breakdown or speed slows?

Great stuff, Andy. Thanks.

I am very interested in this demographic due to 1) living in Florida aka land of the walking dead and 2) the perspective it gives on my own training as a 40 year-old with some creaking in the chassis from previous injuries. As nice as it would be to say you helped someone get to a triple bodyweight deadlift, the idea of getting a person who struggles with general mobility and daily tasks to get a new lease on life is, in my opinion, a much more valuable thing.

Have you ever considered the trap bar as an alternative for those who cannot squat with weight on their backs?

What about moves like the Turkish Get Up? Seems like that would be a game changer for most older folks, even if they never did it with anything other than their bodyweight.

I'd also be interested in how you approach marketing to this demographic? We have one clown here who drive around with a van with his scowling face and the line: "I hate my trainer, but I love the results." I am not sure I want any of those chasing pain type of clients, but it would be interesting to hear your take.

Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    Great watch, not just for coaches but for those of us who are sold on the koolaid and want our parents to get involved. The two questions I have are about the LP itself. How much weight increase per time? Start of by 5 or go straight to micro plating? And with the workup, should it be to a comfortable weight or to the standard point where form starts to breakdown or speed slows?
    Depends how old they are, gender, and what lift is being discussed. For a woman in her sixties, for instance, microloading on the press will generally start immediately.

Older clients, women, and upper body lifts will be microloaded faster.

Quote Originally Posted by lankytunes View Post
    Great stuff, Andy. Thanks.

I am very interested in this demographic due to 1) living in Florida aka land of the walking dead and 2) the perspective it gives on my own training as a 40 year-old with some creaking in the chassis from previous injuries. As nice as it would be to say you helped someone get to a triple bodyweight deadlift, the idea of getting a person who struggles with general mobility and daily tasks to get a new lease on life is, in my opinion, a much more valuable thing.

Have you ever considered the trap bar as an alternative for those who cannot squat with weight on their backs?

What about moves like the Turkish Get Up? Seems like that would be a game changer for most older folks, even if they never did it with anything other than their bodyweight.

I'd also be interested in how you approach marketing to this demographic? We have one clown here who drive around with a van with his scowling face and the line: "I hate my trainer, but I love the results." I am not sure I want any of those chasing pain type of clients, but it would be interesting to hear your take.
    I have used trap bars in the past, but I probably would not combine it with barbell deadlifts, and I can generally get everyone deadlifting. I have no problem with trap bar deadlifts for older clients though. TGU's are fine, but I don't use them.

Marketing is about relationship building, not tactics. Get good at concisely explaining what you do: "I do strength training for older adults. The programs I use help them gain back their mobility, their independence, and keep a high quality of life longer." Something like that. Then get yourself in front of as many people as possible who might care about this and start talking and listening.

Be real, and be you. No one falls for the silly gimmicky bullshit and it gives my industry a bad name. I can't tell you how much I hate that shit.

You have to let them know you understand their fears and concerns about strength training, and that in NO WAY are you out to prove how tough you can be. Phrases like "starting conservative" , "progressing at a comfortable pace" , "emphasizing technique and safety" are good things for them to hear.

I'm 66. Type except I can't do some things at least not yet. I love lifting but I can get my arms back far enough to do a proper low back squat. I get so light headed with the power snatch that I can't really do it. Sully has found many ways to accommodate my limitations.

Thanks for the replies, Andy.

I agree 100% about your approach to "selling" yourself, but I was also more asking about getting that FIRST point of contact. Are you relying on references or are you visiting the local bridge club : ) ?

Great piece Andy. Looking forward to PP3.

Andy, I'm wondering if you have any success addressing the diet side of things for these older clients. Will they eat enough? I know dealing with my mother in her 80's, she's still stuck on the dogma that she needs low calorie, low fat diet. She's quite active including mowing her own yard.

starting strength coach development program
    Andy, Thanks for sharing your experience with older lifters. I'm 62 and have been lifting for a year. Your thoughts on intermediate programming for older lifters was very useful. I'm going to try it on my Bench which has stalled on me at the same weight over and over. There were all kinds of other little tidbits in your talk which I also found useful. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast