• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Roundtable panel: Wendler, Rippetoe, Reynolds & Sullivan

Video 1: A discussion of dynamic work

Video 2: Deadlift volume

Video 3: Back Pain

Video 4: Impact of Coaches
    Last edited by stef; 02-19-2014 at 05:51 PM.

I'm not sure what exactly was being said in the first section (aside from Wendler believes in jumping and at any level, including age 9), but Sully's comments were great.

Actually, I would love an elaboration of what Matt was referring to when he mentioned "waking up the CNS" as a warm-up using dynamic exercises. Since the previous comments were a bit convoluted (what were we talking about-- bands and chains, box jumps, any jumps, speed work?) I didn't get a clear sense of what Matt meant. What is a good exercise (within the context of this conversation) for CNS warm-up?

There are 2 things that make this video worthwhile: Sully's comments. Brilliant. Mark's facial expressions. Brilliant as well. As far as the discussion of dynamic work the takeway seems to be that it's of limited use unless you are already above the 95th percentile.

My take-away from what Jim and Matt are saying is that using dynamic work as adjuncts to training is in fact a useful practice, and for younger, more athletic trainees I have no doubt that is absolutely correct. It won't, as Jim points out, transform the lifter from non-powerful to powerful or from non-explosive to explosive (same thing, really). But it does wake up the neuromuscular system and it does provide variety--spice to the Bloody Mary, as Jim so eloquently put it. That's actually important. And we know from published research that our ability to recruit motor units to a performance task can be positively effected by a previous task, and there is a lot of research right now on using plyometrics and barbell exercises together as "complexes" (much of it silly).

I don't think Jim, Rip and Matt are relying on the literature, though--I think they're relying on their deep and broad experience training people and making them stronger. Quite frankly, that experience brings more to the table than all the ExSci papers I've ever seen put together.

I don't really have personal experience using dynamic/speed work because I am still in the novice stage, but from a theory point of view, I think there is a very small amount of actual power and speed to be gained initially for some (I think some may actually be able to make the same gains from simply lifting heavy weights fast.), but after that the value is really in the variety, deload, and the confidence that Sully mentioned. The actual power/speed return might essentially follow a curve similar to the one from novice trainee to elite trainee, except that it is much steeper.

There will be a skill development factor for the particular movement you might be doing, but I don't think that will transfer, beyond the initial learning to be (relatively) quick, into general power in other movements.

I tend to think this holds true in trying to improve balance as well.

Mark noticed the contradiction in what Jim was saying as he wasn't being consistent in what he was referring to. He didn't articulate it very well but he seemed to be making a distinction between dynamic jumps and speed work with bands/chains. The former he likes for everyone, the later only for advanced lifters mainly as a way to spice things ups.

I noticed in this and other sources Mark rarely discusses what he does with advanced lifters. He really keeps to the SS demographic, which is really a good thing. I reckon if he started talking about speed work in detail his Q&A would be flooded with novices asking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lankytunes View Post
    I don't really have personal experience using dynamic/speed work because I am still in the novice stage, but from a theory point of view, I think there is a very small amount of actual power and speed to be gained initially for some (I think some may actually be able to make the same gains from simply lifting heavy weights fast.), but after that the value is really in the variety, deload, and the confidence that Sully mentioned. The actual power/speed return might essentially follow a curve similar to the one from novice trainee to elite trainee, except that it is much steeper.

There will be a skill development factor for the particular movement you might be doing, but I don't think that will transfer, beyond the initial learning to be (relatively) quick, into general power in other movements.

I tend to think this holds true in trying to improve balance as well.
    This is an exceptional analysis. And has been my observation as well. However, DE work still serves as a valuable method to accumulate volume

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    However, DE work still serves as a valuable method to accumulate volume
    I'm guessing this is why DE Programming fits so well into intermediate programming in PPST3? In most examples, phase 1 introduces DE work in place of intensity, effectively upping the volume, but at a reduced average intensity. Once that has been dialed in, moving the DE work to the volume day, serves as a bit of an offload when reintroducing intensity work for phase 2, while still keeping volume up to a degree. Phase 1 would up the total volume while decreasing average intensity, which would prime the trainee for some big PRs during phase 2.

In short, just as an intermediate in a TM style program has to vary the intensity work (through use of different rep ranges, exercise rotations, etc.), volume work will probably have to vary over time as well. DE work is one tool in the toolbox to accomplish this.

Am I on the right track here?

Quote Originally Posted by Tygerqb12 View Post
    I'm guessing this is why DE Programming fits so well into intermediate programming in PPST3? In most examples, phase 1 introduces DE work in place of intensity, effectively upping the volume, but at a reduced average intensity. Once that has been dialed in, moving the DE work to the volume day, serves as a bit of an offload when reintroducing intensity work for phase 2, while still keeping volume up to a degree. Phase 1 would up the total volume while decreasing average intensity, which would prime the trainee for some big PRs during phase 2.

In short, just as an intermediate in a TM style program has to vary the intensity work (through use of different rep ranges, exercise rotations, etc.), volume work will probably have to vary over time as well. DE work is one tool in the toolbox to accomplish this.

Am I on the right track here?

Again, an excellent analysis. This is exactly right.

starting strength coach development program
    RE: Deadlift volume. That was short and to the point; Sully talks about volume in 5/3/1 which can seem like a bunch, esp in the '5' week and then Wendler touches on some really interesting stuff. Liked how he talked (at the very end) about using the double overhand grip as a self-limiter. Some good subtle stuff in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast