starting strength gym

Thread: SSCAC Series: Mechanics - Hands on Realities

Default SSCAC Series: Mechanics - Hands on Realities

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Steve Hill discusses mechanics, starting with the concepts and problems to solve and moving to hands on demonstrations.

Lecture recorded at the Starting Strength Coaches Association Conference, October 2014.

Watch Part 1

Watch Part 2
    Last edited by stef; 03-26-2015 at 12:33 PM.

Thank you for this, Steve Hill.

I never appreciated the mechanism for increased bone density resulting from barbell training as being from your own muscles pulling harder and therefore placing your bones in higher compression. I always thought a heavy bar meant more stress on the bones just... somehow.

As a lowly Chem Eng, perhaps I could be enlightened a bit more concerning the last slide showing torque about the hip joint in terms of mechanics. It's shown that the low bar squat places the most torque about the hip for the same weight, therefore you might conclude that less weight would be theoretically lifted as you reach a limit with a lower mass on the lifter's back. But for completeness, the same calculation about the knee joint would also show the inverse trend in torque about it (the knee), correct? Therefore more can in actual fact be lifted with low bar because why? Because the muscle groups that control hip extension are bigger/stronger than those controlling knee extension? Therefore you would simply rather shift the torque to that joint for better leverage (leverage may be the wrong word here)?

Why can lighter weight class lifters lift more weight relative to their bodyweight?
    Is there a mechanical explination?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonu View Post
    Because the muscle groups that control hip extension are bigger/stronger than those controlling knee extension?
    Kind of yes.
    But it is more that the LBBS utilizes both the hip extention muslce groups (hamstring, glutes) and the knee extention muscles (quads) close to their max capacity. while high bar and front squat only use the quads close to their max capacity.

Rip's (and others') argument for LBBS being better for general strength training, is that it trains both the hams, glutes and quads very well at the same time (while the others mainly train the quads).

Just in case someone is confused about the arrows Steve draws at around 20:46 in part II to show that the femur is in compression: They should be the other way around. The way he draws them is the same he draws the arrows in the muscles which would mean the femur is under tension.

This is the industry convention of drawing the arrows in truss structures. See also here.

I'm just glad everyone managed to stay awake...

I am really happy to discover these lectures! Thank you so much, Steve Hill! I wish I had teachers like you...

I've always wanted to know how body works, from the engineering point of view, but no one could explain it to me in such a profound way. Definitely worth a second and a third watch!

starting strength coach development program
    You're welcome!