starting strength gym

Thread: Estimating MM% from BF% and weight/height/etc?

Default Estimating MM% from BF% and weight/height/etc?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have just been tested in a BodPod and my weak ass is 24% fat. A friend and I are having a challenge and we were surprised to find out that the BodPod doesn't give us muscle mass percent. The competition was supposed to be points gained for fat loss and muscle gain.

Is there any way, given perhaps height, that I can estimate my muscle mass from body fat%? Basically, how to estimate the total sum of bone, organs and water.

ps - this is not a discussion of the efficacy of a BodPod or the value of knowing one's BF% and MM%. This has everything to do with setting up a fair competition so the loser can buy the winner a whole lamb.

Isn't your total weight equal to your body fat plus your lean body weight?

You've got two components of that equation so...

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Isn't your total weight equal to your body fat plus your lean body weight?

You've got two components of that equation so...
    Unfortunately, it isn't as simple as total mass - fat mass. Lean mass consists of other stuff besides muscle, and it sounds like the OP wants to calculate muscle mass *only* as a percentage of total mass. The only truly accurate way to measure would require a post-mortem. My suggestion is to just track LBM as a percentage of total mass.

DEXA may be another option, but it still doesn't differentiate between lean organ tissue and muscle, to my limited knowledge.