starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Closed Stance Deadlifting

Default Closed Stance Deadlifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Coach,

After seeing many pictures of the classic deadlifters with closed stances (feet ~6 in apart), I decided to try it today and it made the lift much easier. I was able to accelerate with the weight and my lockout felt stronger.

In the book you mention how some deadlifters keep their feet close together but you recommend against it. Why is that?

I don't think I recommend against it. I do think you should become a more careful reader.

If I recall correctly he said that if one finds it more comfortable and beneficial deadlifting in a close stance that is really not an issue.

Closing up my stance and slightly pointing my toes out was the best thing I have done with my deads in a long time...after years of a medium stance with toes straight ahead. The extra quad and adductor activity was sufficient for a 25 lb PR without any other technique or programming changes.

Exactimundo, KSC. And where did you hear about this? From Uncle Rippy, that's right.

Yes. I forgot to plug the BB Seminar but this is indeed where I learned it. I also learned that my femurs where too long to be a great deadlifter, but Rip was unable to give me a solution for this. I also learned that Rip is a cheap bastard as I watched him haggle with the waitress about getting charged $0.25 for a little bowl of blue cheese.

No doubt. And closing up my stance a bit makes deadlifting in oly shoes a reality, whereas before I was getting nothing out of them.

The bitch tried to cheat me. Why do you think I have all this money?

Does the closed stance favour a particular body type?

starting strength coach development program
    I really SHOULD go to one of Rip's seminars or I'll keep missing all the fun! Damned be the fact that I already deadlift with frog stance...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast