starting strength gym

Thread: Modifications to SS for a trainee with Osgood-Schlatters Disease.

Default Modifications to SS for a trainee with Osgood-Schlatters Disease.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hey mark, i posted this question in another thread, but you did not answer so i guess you missed it.

my brother is 16 years old and has OSD. i searched your posts for your input on training kids with OSD, and it seems to be very favorable.

however, should SS be modified in any way for a kid with OSD? i know form breaks down at heavier weights, which could result in knees sliding forward/wobbling all over.

i was thinking once he gets to heavier weights that he struggles with, it could be a good idea for him to hold the weight constant for a few workouts until he feels comfortable with it before moving up.

what do you think? thanks mark.

No, the only modification for barbell training is with OSD is that you coach good form like a bastard.

This is the case anyway, but in the case of a kid with tender knees his form will have to be watched carefully so that he doesn't drop them forward at the bottom.

There is no case to be made for keeping the weights the same for several workouts, because his form could deteriorate in this situation just as easily as it could if he continues linear progress.

Looks like an Objectivist wrote this.

My littlest kid also has Osgood Shlatters', much worse than my first son had it. The pt said to get him to squat with a barbell, (my suggested sub for leg press that he agreed on, yeah pt) leg extensions, monster walking sideways with therabands and quarter squat pistols. And something where he stands on the stairs sideways on one foot and lifts his free foot's hip up, wtf?

After reading the pistol thread I am thinking twice about inherent instability associated with the one legged business. Plus he wobbles like hell and it hurts just to watch him. I would prefer him to get strong, squatting both feet on the floor. The rest I don't see a problem with. I like this pt and don't really want to contradict him. He told me to bench/press more for a shoulder injury instead of telling me I was crazy to stop lifting. He's a good guy.

Any part of SS not helpful for this disease? or can I get him to do the whole deal instead of just squats as prescribed by the pt? I searched found nada on SS and OSD. Evidently I search like I lift. I'll be doing SS anyhow with or without him after this weekend. Plenty easy to at least try to drag the kid along for the ride.

He wants a gazillion dollar lacrosse stick but can't run due to the OSD to play the damn game. He never gets any time on the field. I have to help him at least get so he can run. He is younger, at 14 than the OP's brother, pretty uncooperative but I hope the "play better earn that stick" theme will keep him motivated if the sheer knee pain does not.

Hang on to that particular PT. He will be valuable to you.

lol thanks mark, the bold was for your benefit as i know you skim a lot of these questions quickly.

starting strength coach development program
    I have had OSD(both knees) for most of my life, I have suffered some pain often while running, walking, playing soccer or rugby ..

Squatting heavy is the best thing I could do.
    In my profession I stand 12-14(occasionally longer) hours a day and it's a bitch,
    after my second set of squats warmup I am as good as new..