starting strength gym

Thread: Training as advanced?

Default Training as advanced?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi coach,
    I don?t want to bother you but I?d like to have some answers...
    Just to clarify: just before my stop those were my best PR?s at 165lb bw:

Squat 352
    Deadlift 429
    Press 70
    Bench 286

Now as I previously have said, after a stop I?m trying to hit my records, and if I can, get some new Pr?s. I planned to go on untill this linear cycle doesn?t work anymore. Then ? and this is my question ? should I start Texas which is an intermediate program or is it better choose from one of the advanced programs? I ask you because I?ve realized that my loads are placed just between the advanced and elite position (for my bodyweight).
    Ideally I?d do Texas but what do you suggest?
    I thank you, hoping to have been clear!!

You have not read PPST, have you?

The numbers in the table at the back of Practical Programming are minimum expected performance levels. For example, if it says 200lb bench press for a 150 lb intermediate, it means that the vast majority of trainees at the intermediate level can perform at this level. It is not saying that you should necessarily move to the next level of programming once you've reached that number.

If you are still progressing linearly even though your numbers are up there with the minimum expected levels for an intermediate or advanced trainee, keep doing your novice routine because it's working. If your novice routine isnt cutting anymore, move to an intermediate routine. Why would you skip to an advanced routine before taking advantage of the faster progress gains of an intermediate routine.

Read the paragraph that describes what those performance tables mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You have not read PPST, have you?
    Yes I have, SS and PPST but unfortunately the full understanding of your awesome books is limited by one factor: the quality/quantity of my free time that is very poor, I have a 3 y.o. daughter and that's enough to say (if you're a father I guess you'll know what I mean) I work far from home so I leave in the morning at 7.00 a.m. and I come back in the evening at 20.00 and as I step inside my house there are so many things left undone and dinner to cook (obviously my wife works too)...I can train just because lunch time is from 12.30 to 15.00 and I have to do my things fast anyway (if I want to eat)
    That's to explain that I read both your books in my spare time and surely my grasp would have be better with more time.
    That's it Mr. Ripp, I hope I'll be excused and worthy of response!!
    Thanks a lot.

You mean press 170 right. That's what I'm gonna guess based on your BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    You mean press 170 right. That's what I'm gonna guess based on your BP.
    Hi,
    I thought the number corresponding to the load being lifted in that chart would serve to confirm if one can be considered intermediate rather than advanced or other, assuming that the question was whether I could skip the intermediate level as my loads were more towards the position advanced.
    Instead, once again I understand that once the linear periodization fails you switch to something else that obviously can be only an approach to intermediate level. It was obvious. Sorry.
    Thanks for the answers and excuse me for the misunderstanding.

Ah, yes it is 170lb.

starting strength coach development program
    This is why the tables were removed from the 2nd edition.