starting strength gym
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Zach Update

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Everyone's so into the Rip vs Lyle thing that I don't think people have yet realized the caliber of awesomeness that Zach Evetts just displayed in those videos.

The fact that he came into the gym a day early, in midterm season, at night time to prove to a nutrition/training guru over the internet that he really could squat 320 lbs deep - and he fucking did it - that's fucking awesome. That's almost like "Sandlot" fucking awesome.

I only hope my lifting career can be half that epic.

I'm very surprised that Lyle would bite the hand that feeds like he has done. Who would even know about Lyle if not for Rip's referrals. Not me.

Question: Is a narrow stance like that used by Zach the Viking a 'stronger' stance? I tried a similar stance this morning and I seemed to be stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyhome View Post
    Everyone's so into the Rip vs Lyle thing that I don't think people have yet realized the caliber of awesomeness that Zach Evetts just displayed in those videos.

The fact that he came into the gym a day early, in midterm season, at night time to prove to a nutrition/training guru over the internet that he really could squat 320 lbs deep - and he fucking did it - that's fucking awesome. That's almost like "Sandlot" fucking awesome.

I only hope my lifting career can be half that epic.
    I hope you guys realize that Zach doesn't give a shit about this drama. He just trains hard, goes to school, and lives his life pretty much blissfully oblivious to this increasingly silly bullshit. He's a very good kid that just happened to be in the right gym at the right (wrong?) time. I know this has provided a lot of entertainment for everybody, and occasionally this type of thing is necessary. But let's not revel in a man's inadequacies any more than necessary, and likewise, let's not assign an epic level of accomplishment to something that is within the grasp of everybody who trains hard, eats right, and plans well.

Young men can grow big and strong with the right stimulus and recovery, they've been doing so for a very long time, and the fact that this is not recognized by the conventional wisdom exercise asshats just provides more evidence of their increasingly obvious irrelevance.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post

Question: Is a narrow stance like that used by Zach the Viking a 'stronger' stance? I tried a similar stance this morning and I seemed to be stronger.
    It is if you have been squatting with too wide a stance.

I notice he (Zach) can get really deep with great form. Was he already pretty flexible when he started training with you? I've never seen anyone go so deep with what I'd call perfect form with that style of squat.

starting strength coach development program
    Then Zach is the first guy you've seen that we've trained.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112