starting strength gym
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Zach Update

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Deadlift? Bench? Press? Power Clean?

I believe you Rip. Just because a scientific study hasn't been published stating that X amount of lean body mass has been gained in Y amount of time doesn't mean it is impossible. It just means it hasn't been published in a peer-reviewed journal.

Also, I occasionaly have to defend skinfold analysis of body compositon. Many people think that the more sites you use, the more accurate it is. The accuracy depends on the skill of the technician and the type of equation you select. If you are testing 18 yr old female volleyball players, there is a specific equation for that population. Use it. It may only contain three sites. So what, it will be more accurate than using an equation designed to test 45 yr old male bodybuilders, even though that equation might contain seven sites. It looks like you used a general population male equation (Jackson-Pollock), which will be accurate for Zach.

Also, you are spot on about the value of hydrostatic weighing. First of all, it is not easy to get someone to hold still underwater with all their air (save for residual lung volume) blown out of their lungs. Also, there might be air bublbes in their hair, swimsuit, etc. What if they have a rod in their leg from a surgery? Plus, most places estimate residual lung volume from a simple spirometery test. Only if residual lung volume is actually tested (nitrogen rebreathing, etc) can you start to think that hydrostatic weighing is more accurate than a trained technician performing skinfold analysis. And even at that, you would have to have all the factors of the underwater weighing go perfectly. After all that, the difference in accuracy is minimal (1-1.5%). Plus, hydrostatic weighing is expensive and time-consuming. But, it impresses a lot of people.

very impressive, how tall is zach?

Nice gains Zach. After the seminar in San Diego I cut back my milk from a full gallon to half a gallon, then last week cut it out all together outside of protein shakes and I still have gained ten fucking pounds since feb 5th. Which lands me at a very sexy 225. And my squat is no longer slow as shit.

Thats some great work. Out of curiosity, what are the rest of his lifts at now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Current pictures below, without a shirt for those of you "into" this sort of thing.
    Poor Zach. The sacrifice he has to make for science. I wonder how long before someone asks for photos with no clothes.

What's really amazing is Zach has lots of room to grow. Any predictions/goals on bodyweight for Zach to further the experiment/testimonial?

Someone should post the old Zach, sitting poolside, from the novice effect article so this can be fully appreciated. I would do it but I can't figure out how. He just needs a bigger head now.

By the way, I think the 15.4 weeks is a mistake, right? It's more like 8 weeks?

Also, I notice his squat has only gone up 10 pounds since the Novice Effect article? Why is that?

Default Great

Thanks, Rip.

Very complete.

All right, doubting fucktards -- enough info for ya?

Are we ready to let this rest now and squat our asses off?

I hope so.

Wow.

Truly a testament to the myth that somatotypes actually don't matter.

Keep it up Zach, you're looking like a Viking.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle5000 View Post
    Someone should post the old Zach, sitting poolside, from the novice effect article so this can be fully appreciated. I would do it but I can't figure out how. He just needs a bigger head now.

By the way, I think the 15.4 weeks is a mistake, right? It's more like 8 weeks?

Also, I notice his squat has only gone up 10 pounds since the Novice Effect article? Why is that?
    Done, above. Zach is about 6' 1". It was 15 weeks unless I miscounted - all of 3 months and some change. His squat was stuck after a slight bout of novice termination. His bench is at 240 x 5, DL is 325 x 5, press is about 145 x 5, PC is about 176 x 3.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast