starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Depth

Default Squat Depth

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,

I am struggling with getting proper depth. I think I am doing all the correct things, but I still can't get low enough. I am frustrated because I don't know if I should continue using lighter weights or should I try to increase the weight some as I continue working on my form. I am not sure if I ever hit the correct depth.

Here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7efjG3P2Ex8

I know my shoes suck. I will get a pair of the 2010 .5" RIPS WEIGHTLIFTING SHOES from Rogue, but they don't have my size right now. I retired my John Travolta Do-Wins due to the gigantic heels, and I have to use the Converse ones for now. Also I know the fake belt sucks. I have ordered a real one.

I am grateful for any advice you can offer.

Have you read the book?

Yes, I have read it and reread it multiple times. However, based on your reply, I am sure I have missed something critical.

I know the bar is supposed to be over my mid foot at all times. Maybe it is a bit in front. My feet are about shoulder width apart (maybe they are a bit wider) and I am definitely pointing my feet out at least 30 degrees. I think my knees are tracking over my toes. I know I am supposed to shove my knees out at the bottom and look down. I feel like I am doing that. I know my knees are not supposed to move forward much in the last part of the movement, and I do see them moving forward a bit.

I apologize for bothering you, but what am I missing?

Thank you.

The Squat chapter.

Your depth is fine, but it seems like you're almost lifting your heels and letting your knees travel forward at the bottom? RIP, hip drive (no pun intended).

Compare your squat video to the sequence in the book. Do you see any significant differences? No. I don't either.

If the book can't make it clear for you, there have been some recent postings of squatting that are worth replicating.

There was one a few weeks ago with a hot chick with excellent form...

Search function.

Okay, I'm bored today.

There's nothing wrong with your form that some weight on the bar won't fix. Depth is fine. Knees could be more stable, maybe use the TUBOW to get that down pat. Add some weight to the bar.

And why are you doing 10-rep sets?

Rip's smart-ass comments are just his loving way of telling you to trust your own judgement if you've already done your homework.

And add some weight to the bar.

Just to repeat the same thing...

Your depth looks excellent. Hip crease is going well below top of knee on every rep. I cannot see why you were concerned about depth.

starting strength coach development program
    I apologize for my ignorance. And I truly am truly sorry for bothering you. I know I am like all the morons that annoy you.

As I watch the video I understand poster Polynomial's comments regarding the lifting of my heels. Also it seems that I look more like the incorrect bottom photo on Figure 39 as opposed to the desired top photo on Figure 39 on page 44. Is this correct? Or are there other critical errors that I am making?

Thank you for your time and patience (which I know I am testing).