starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About Pressing

Default About Pressing

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Ripp,
    I’m very interested in improving my press.
    As for now my goal is pressing my bw (78Kg.) for a rep.
    I’m 6Kg. far from it….anyway, just a question, I’d like to know how could be reasonable to add some of the advices that Starr suggested in his last article in a TM template to bring the press up?
    And, generally speaking, to help me reaching my goal, is it wise putting this exercise before the Squat or anything else and doing it as the first exercise every time I perform it?
    Thank you.

You just add the pressing exercises he recommends. You want me to design an intermediate workout plan for you?

No, sorry I didn’t mean that !!
    That’s my Texas template:

Monday
    Press 5x5 – 3x3 (or better 3x5 across and 3x3?)
    Squat 5x5
    Press assistance (Incline bench) 5x5

Wed.
    Light squat 2x5
    Back extension 3x15
    Db press 2x12
    Abs

Friday
    Press 1x5/3/2 / Push Press 3x3 (alternate)
    Squat 1x5/3/2
    Deadlift 1x 5/3/2 / Rack pull 3x3(alternate)
    Weighted chins 3xF/ pull ups (alternate)
    Curl

I put the Press before everything else. Last Monday I did 5x5 squat with 308 and after that I noticed my Press was heavier than usual so I want to see the difference performing it as the first exercise.
    Obviously as I run this program I will adjust whatever I feel is not comfortable, skipping the assistance exercises if they interfere and I will focus on my core lift, especially the press.
    Unfortunately I can’t do dips because I feel it bad on my shoulders, so I put Incline bench just to do some assistance for my Press but maybe is too much (too much pressing movements I mean?).

That’s it. Please tell me what you think of this Texas template regarding the choices I made about the Press.
    I thank you very much.

I think you need to bench press instead of incline. Why do dips hurt your shoulders? Maybe you're doing them wrong.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 06-26-2010 at 08:32 PM.

I know that benching would help me bringing up my press...but as I'm growing older I have learned what works well for me and what doesn't. And that's also because of my phisical limitation (little old injuries..). I use to do dips in the past, I did them with about 40kg. so I pushed hard (unfortunately I didn't know SS and you). Nowadays, everytime I've tried to add them in my routine I felt a little pain on my shoulder which I think are my weak point as I experienced thi in the bench also. And That's why I recently dropped the bench in favor of Incline bench which seems less stressful on my shoulder joints. I have August off the gym and as I restart I probably will try a light Bench, again. Then if I have problems I'll see a chiro.
    The rest in my routine can be goood? i mean alternate Pin pull and Dl for example and adding the 3x3 press start (as in the Starr' article) after my volume Press on Monday (still don't know if 5x5 or 3x5 yet).
    Thank you Ripp (today I'm ordering PPST 2Nd edition, that's my birthday gift!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think you need to bench pres instead of incline. Why do dips hurt your shoulders? Maybe you're doing them wrong.
    Is there any reason he needs to bench press instead of incline?

Because inclines are quite similar in angle to the press he's already doing, they allow the use of less weight than the bench press, and we're doing a bench-supported press because it allows us to use more weight than the standing version.

If I'm the rare person who can incline bench more than my bench, should I switch to incline benches, or just go back and iron out my form? Also, I guess it's been a few years since I did incline bench so maybe that's not true anymore now that I'm stronger.

So, I think I'd better start doing dips...I'll work on them, slowly, starting with something like 3-4 sets bw and maybe adding some weight later on. I really want improve my press.
    Got to get those damn 80 kg. sooner or later!!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Because inclines are quite similar in angle to the press he's already doing, they allow the use of less weight than the bench press, and we're doing a bench-supported press because it allows us to use more weight than the standing version.
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast