starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Requesting more clarification on beginner rep scheme

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    lol @ Paul Chek. Guy is a nutbar.

Quote Originally Posted by cyhulhupun View Post
    Is it just me or are Mark's comments beignning to sound more and more like a frustrated IT help-desk guy. RTFM
    I don't agree. Frustrated IT help-desk type guys would be posting from India.

Quote Originally Posted by zephed56 View Post
    lol @ Paul Chek. Guy is a nutbar.
    There are trainers here who SWEAR by his methods.

Quote Originally Posted by davidl351 View Post
    The crux of their argument was that these people were so "horribly de-conditioned" and demonstrated such "horrendous posture" that barbell training should be one of the last things they do.
    That is so stupid it's laughable. Seems to me the simplest argument to make with these people is this: The body is meant to move as a whole, except in areas of specific need (raising a glass to drink, brushing hair, wiping ass--you know, things that you need to do dumbbell curls to achieve) and barbell training meets the need perfectly because it uses everything from hands to feet, as opposed to a one-legged squat on an Airex which serves no practical purpose in life anywhere at any time other than in a "health spa" or "fitness facility" where some arrogant jack-off trainer thinks that by being "fancy" they're being effective.

Because I don't have credentials like them, it didn't feel right for me to raise my voice and get irritated.
    Nor should you. But you have a mind with valid information, and a voice with which to speak clearly and audibly. What more credentials do you need? Years of experience? A certain number of clients? A fat salary? Certain people on your side? That's all bullshit compared to the truth that you and most everyone on this board knows: Starting Strength works. Period. If it's what you believe, then stand by it and train people to do it. If they push you out because you are doing what you know to be right, then go. You'll be better off for it.

What I found funny was that some of the trainers actually know you, claim they "know your modalities", yet still believe that 5 reps would be too heavy for the de-conditioned. I showed PPST2 to a few to explain that the clients will not be loading up 225lbs on the bar and crushing themselves, but only that I would observe proper technique and bar speed; they read it, scoffed, and gave it back to me and held firm to their original convictions.
    Is your goal to share what you know about SS, or to sway the hearts and minds of golems who adhere to their precious "modalities"? Fuck 'em. Do your own thing. Be yourself. Let the lame-ass dickwads be themselves. Your clients will love you for making them strong and feeling better about themselves; that will lead to them talking you up to their friends, which will lead to more clients who will become strong and talk you up, and . . .

One trainer actually said, "in a perfect world where your clients can eat properly, rest properly, and not work 10-12 hours a day, then you could put his methods into practice".
    This is the only valid point those pinheads are making. I do carpentry work and it's a fucking headache trying to eat throughout the day and have the energy to train 3x a week. I'd like to live in that perfect world of eat, train, sleep, but I don't and I make it work because it's worth it.

All of the trainers' programs are centered around time under tension, with some exercises instructing a 3 or 4 second eccentric... on a SQUAT. Again, these TUT are prescribed for the "horribly de-conditioned".
    That's just stupid.

I was poking around to see if there is possibly a better explanation, or another way I can phrase proper novice programming to get through various thickness heads.
    Use a 1/2" drill instead. Don't waste your time with them. You want to help people get strong, then do that. In time they will see what works and come around on their own. Really, that's the only way to learn anyway. You can't tell them and expect them to believe. That's not the kind of world we live in, my friend.

The trainers recognize the fact that strength is the foundation to everything; it also defines the person.
    Really? They do? Yet they denounce SS? That makes them hypocrites. Who gives a fuck what a bunch of panty wearing hypocrites think?

A lot of the more financially successful trainers here have gone to extremely pricey seminars -- Poliquin, Chek, Athlete's Performance.
    You make clear the problem with NYC and other yuppie centers: A mindset that predicates practical value solely on monetary value.

Uptight prick: "My personal trainer is $1000 for 30 minutes."
    Vane prick: "It's sooo worth it. You look amazing!"
    UP: "I know! He's taken seminars with Paul Chek!
    VP: No!"
    UP: Yes!"[/I]

Rather, they have a canopy principle to train EVERYONE.
    Well sure. That makes EVERYONE a potential client for their bullshit "modality" that they get to charge an ass and cunt for.

And that is the problem: the trainers here only go to seminars and learn things that reinforce what they're familiar with and what their clients want, not necessarily what they may need.
    Oh, you mean the Panty Wearing Hypocrites who believe strength is the Foundation and Defines a person, which is why they have them doing fancy one-legged squats on an Airex, and dumbbell curls kneeling on a stability ball? "What? Squat, press, dead, bench, chin, and power clean? No-no-no-no-no. What I need is to do inverted one-arm resistance band curls while meditating on the efficacy of juiced organic beets for detoxifying my liver."

I appreciate the advice, and trust me, telling clients what I expect of them will be something I'll be doing once I get neck deep in this industry. At the moment, however, I don't have that luxury. I feel I have to pay my dues initially as a trainer before I can start calling the shots, otherwise I won't have clients at all.
    ANY client you have is putting their trust and faith in you to help them; train them, make them feel better, look better, fuck better, and feel confident to kick some ass; you've got the knowledge--the power--to give them what they want. Why wait?

Why wait?

stop whining About how the other trainers won't listen. They don't train your clients. I ran a training business in Los Angles surrounded by some of the biggest dip dongs on the planet. None of my clients did Bosu ball biceps curls, stood on a bench for RDLs, Told jokes while spread eagle on the adductor machine. They perform squats, deadlifts , presses, O-lifts and variations. They all made a shit ton of money and wanted results.

Have confidence in what your doing, continue learning , get results, and tell the others to suck balls

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    A rather unusual market, NYC.
    Very, very much so. Been training people in NYC for over 6 years, and David's observations are, as accurate as a generalization is, on the money.

I've been fortunate to jedi-mind trick most of my clients to change their training to barbell and strength based, but most still want some "feel the burn"/sweat a lot days, and none will stop doing their silly cardio (though some will switch to intervals), or eat properly for growth.

The dearth of performance gyms in NYC (even scarcer here, I think, than the rest of the country) doesn't help, especially when wanting to deadlift or do power cleans - very few gyms have bumper plates, or even know what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    Hey, if you're like a frustrated Tech Support dude, you could always outsource.

I've been told I do "asshole" really well.

You could be the nice guy.
    Rip, the nice guy?! I'd love to see this. I'll start the motion for outsourcing!

I think I'd be over the moon to meet an intern like David.

I do appreciate everyone's advice, and will hold it close.

@HeavyDead: I do believe in Starting Strength. Ever since the beginning of this year, I have lived by it, and will train others by it, in whatever way, shape, or form. Thank you for the heap of advice.

@Kevdenver: Not whining. Irritated. Speaking of Bosu Ball, one trainer here put a pregnant woman who looked like she could burst any minute on a Bosu, one-legged, and had her perform alternating dumbbell curls. Am I missing something here?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDead View Post
    You make clear the problem with NYC and other yuppie centers: A mindset that predicates practical value solely on monetary value.

Uptight prick: "My personal trainer is $1000 for 30 minutes."
    Vane prick: "It's sooo worth it. You look amazing!"
    UP: "I know! He's taken seminars with Paul Chek!
    VP: No!"
    UP: Yes!"[/I]
    That's really fucking funny, and probably not too far from the truth for a lot of people in NYC.

Still, I think there are a decent number of people in this area who would be interested in a program like Starting Strength if they (a) knew about it, and (b) had access to proper coaching.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast