starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Requesting more clarification on beginner rep scheme

Default Requesting more clarification on beginner rep scheme

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark,

First off, if this question has been posed and answered before on the forums, I apologize. However, I did search a few times on here and other places and couldn't get a detailed enough answer for my question. I've also read your Practical Programming book and still could not find the answer.

I'm about to become a personal trainer in New York City. The population here is quite different from what I might experience somewhere else. Most of the people are desk jockeys who have horrendous posture, minimal resistance training experience, and a generally negative view of any program that has less than 10 reps per set. Whenever I speak to trainers here about rep schemes for COMPLETE beginners who may or may not have postural deficiencies, we get into a debate on which is better -- 5-6 or above, with me being biased towards 5-6.

I do realize that a rep range of 5-6 with 3-5 sets for compound exercises is probably the most efficient and safest way to learn technique and gain strength since fatigue is not a factor. On another note, doing 5 reps is not mind-numbing boring! But is there a better justification for doing this, especially if I'm going to work with someone who has extremely bad posture such as kyphosis in the thoracic region, etc? Trying to explain why 5 reps is better than 10 reps to someone who is only interested in aesthetics is also like walking a tight rope since my paycheck is riding on their business, but what better way can I tell them?

Again, I'm sorry if this is redundant and long. I do appreciate your time and all the information you have provided for this community.

David

Pages 79-82 in PPST2 deal with this topic at length.

My athletes have told me my most compelling argument was, "Because you are paying me to be the expert so that you don't have to learn all this, and I'm telling you that "X" is what's best. Now shut up and do the work."

But I don't depend on them for a living, so I would understand where you might have to be more politic.

Is it just me or are Mark's comments beignning to sound more and more like a frustrated IT help-desk guy. RTFM

It's not just you. I should delete more and bitch less, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Hey, if you're like a frustrated Tech Support dude, you could always outsource.

I've been told I do "asshole" really well.

You could be the nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I dunno, Rip. I think it's good to call people out who may be too dim to resort to looking things up themselves. Maybe they will learn from the experience and do better next time. If they cock it up a second time, maybe it's time for a mandatory minimum. Two strikes and you're out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    My athletes have told me my most compelling argument was, "Because you are paying me to be the expert so that you don't have to learn all this, and I'm telling you that "X" is what's best. Now shut up and do the work."

But I don't depend on them for a living, so I would understand where you might have to be more politic.
    Lived in NYC my whole life with the exception of college. People generally don't like doing hard stuff here. Your quote, which I like, wouldn't work on the people that live here.

Unless OP can find clients that really want to get big and strong, he's in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    Lived in NYC my whole life with the exception of college. People generally don't like doing hard stuff here. Your quote, which I like, wouldn't work on the people that live here
    People generally don't like doing hard stuff anywhere.

starting strength coach development program
    Unfortunately, my argument was nearly verbatim page 79-80 when trying to explain my stance on the issue, but the other trainers weren't having it. As a matter of fact, I also used info from pages 95-96, and 102, and from the Starting Strength Wiki found from google.com, but to no avail. I'm sorry that you and others felt I didn't look up any of the info, I should have clarified in my original post that my best argument was from those pages.

I guess when working with people who make at least 6 figures a year and don't place as much importance on a quality workout, all sound science goes through one ear and out the other.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast