starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maximal strength and the athletic benefits

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    One of the workouts I do for conditioning consists of 5 dead hang pull ups, 10 med ball slams, 15 burpees and then 25 jumping jacks (as a circuit x 10 to be completed in under 20 minutes). Once I have done the program I will see how my performance compares to my previous times. For the pull ups, obviously I will be stronger but I'm not entirely sure what the effect of my increased bodyweight will be. Likewise, the burpees will probably benefit from the strength developed from squatting but may again be hindered by my increased bodyweight.

I hope and expect to see an improvement but I haven't been doing any anaerobic conditioning at all.

I think strength is the most important components to develop in an athlete and general human to a point. Consider that the novice phase of their training.

However, when easy and frequent gains become harder to come by, and an increase in strength affects training economy in a way that hinders performance or detracts away from the individual's goals; then you know it's time to worry less about maximal strength and more towards sport specific traits.

I'd wager that a large majority of athletes are not strong enough though.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneRooney View Post
    One of the workouts I do for conditioning consists of 5 dead hang pull ups, 10 med ball slams, 15 burpees and then 25 jumping jacks (as a circuit x 10 to be completed in under 20 minutes). Once I have done the program I will see how my performance compares to my previous times. For the pull ups, obviously I will be stronger but I'm not entirely sure what the effect of my increased bodyweight will be. Likewise, the burpees will probably benefit from the strength developed from squatting but may again be hindered by my increased bodyweight.

I hope and expect to see an improvement but I haven't been doing any anaerobic conditioning at all.
    The first time you do it, your time will be slow because you have lost the specific anaerobic endurance adaptation. But since this adaptation is transient, it is also rapidly re-acquired. The better test will be your third time doing it after the strength acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post

I'd wager that a large majority of athletes are not strong enough though.
    A safe bet. You're a high-stakes man, eh?

I have a buddy who played football in college before doing the Army thing full time. He was an O-lineman who typicall got the big guy comments from his skinnier counterparts. He could squat and deadlift some pretty impressive weight, almost naturally. Real impressive strength, but many people thought he looked overweight being in the mid-200's. The guy could run, though. His two mile time was better than most everyone in the company and he could do it for distance, too. He ran so well, in fact, that he beat everyone in a 40-man platoon during one particular fitness test running in the mid- to low- 12s for two miles. An impressive time for any regular Joe.

I use him as an example, but I know of a number of others who wouldn't have fit the typical skinny runner stereotype, with a bit of meat on their bones, who could also move their bodies quite well. These types typically did better at the grind-fests that the Army likes indulging in. Considering, most skinny guys (myself previously included) expect their best performance at a weight under 165. This seems absurd now and doesn't reflect the results. Maybe it comes down to a visual aspect, or a mental block, when people have trouble equating heavy with fast. The real computation should be stronger is faster.

Here's my little anecdotal contribution.

I ran a 5K on July 4. I had not run at all since a one-mile fun back in March, and only very irregularly over the past two years. I have, however, been squatting and deadlifting regularly for about a year now. I finished the 5K in 27:09, which happened to be fifth place in my age group (it was a small race). Even better, I had no joint pain afterward (a former plague). Three cheers for strength training.

Quote Originally Posted by halbritt View Post
    I'm amused by the notion that one has to actually stop the process of getting stronger to experience the benefits.
    I think what he's actually trying to say is that if you think climbing stairs is hard now, then stop training and see how hard they get when you're feeble again.

He knows what I'm trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by mlentzner View Post
    I've heard that endurance athletes (cyclists in particular) often get to a point where they lack the musculature to adequately stress their highly developed cardio system. It's a rut you can't ride your way out of because your cardio system is fully adapted to the muscle output. The only way to get faster is to get stronger although I'm sure it seems counter-intuitive to some.

Steve, Rip, can you comment on this. B.S. or not?
    We discussed this here: linky.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneRooney View Post
    Consider a boxer that competes in a given weight class. When he moves up in terms of bodyweight and strength is he likely to be less strong and athletic than someone who naturally sits in the class above?
    Weight class sports are not so cut and dry. It is difficult to make a comparison like that because a weight class is a carefully tailored thing. The man in the above weight class is likely coming down from his natural weight to be at that class. Plus people just react differently to weight cutting. Some maintain strength and some become weak as little girls. It would probably be easier to make this comparison to football players. I imagine if a lineman gains weight and strength he will be as strong or stronger than someone the same size.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanJones View Post
    Weight class sports are not so cut and dry. It is difficult to make a comparison like that because a weight class is a carefully tailored thing. The man in the above weight class is likely coming down from his natural weight to be at that class. Plus people just react differently to weight cutting. Some maintain strength and some become weak as little girls. It would probably be easier to make this comparison to football players. I imagine if a lineman gains weight and strength he will be as strong or stronger than someone the same size.
    This.

In MMA some guys drop 20lbs at a clip to make weight and try to put as much of it back as possible before the fight. To some its as easy as making a bowel of cereal and maintain a high level of preformance come fight time. Others look like herion addicts going through withdrawls. Most of the time some one is cutting weight to some degree or another. Ive done so sparringly and have gotten better cutting small amounts of weight, but at first it was brutal. Definetly zapped my strength.

I can also say throwing around the iron helps me when it comes to trying to beat sombody up (put roughly). Take two fighters at equal skill set, and the stronger one will win. I'd rather be tangled up with the guy that does quarter squats on a bosu ball with 10lb dumbells, then the dude who's squatting 2x his bodyweight, or plus considering there skill sets are the same.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast