starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear Rippetoe,

I've been hurt and confused on the squat for months. I read and re-read SS and began a linear progression in March; but in squatting, I ran into that ASIS pain in a huge way after a few weeks. Took these videos at that time and posted in the technique forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixu5YRjQqwA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1KsGUs8eBE

After that I made use of a tubow, started lowering more slowly, pushing my knees out more, and keeping my head down more. Waited a couple weeks for the ASIS soreness to go away. Resumed my squat progression.

When I reached the weight I'd been squatting before, I ran into problems again. Now I was feeling a lot of pain/tightness on the outside of my hips, at the very top of my hamstrings, and sort of above and behind the hip socket. It got bad enough that I had to drop my squat weight to very low weights again, re-read SS again, and keep tweaking my form in hopes that I'd find the sweet spot where everything worked right. I even tried measuring out different distances to place my feet and using pennies to mark where my heels should be. Didn't work. I feel like I've tried every stance width and foot angle I can imagine. I've used the tubow trick every so often to keep an eye on that. I've tried backing off and not squatting for a few weeks, but when I start up again, the same pains resume. Here are some videos from my last workout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZf9M8JGykM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4wBq76H_0k

I apologize for my head and shoulders being cut off some of the time - it's an extremely cramped gym. Any corrections or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric

You're using the high-bar position and your back angle is too vertical. Knees are fine, but everything else needs to go forward. WL shoes would help this.

Thanks! I've ordered a pair of shoes, and in the meantime will try and get the bar lower on my back.

Getting bar lower on your back is just the superficial first step. You are not using your hips.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're using the high-bar position .
    Coach, my understanding from your DVD is that the bar must be below the large vertebra at the base of the skull (dens?). His bar placement looks to qualify in that regard. What am I missing?

Do you mean I'm pressing with my legs too much? Today I used what I assume from the book to be the low-bar position, with the bar just below the ridge of the scapula. I was thinking that moving the bar position would change the way I moved through the lift to keep the bar over the mid-foot, including causing me to lean forward more, etc.

I'm always trying to drive with my hips, but I admit a part of my brain keeps deciding I'm doing a leg press unless I consciously override it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBell View Post
    Coach, my understanding from your DVD is that the bar must be below the large vertebra at the base of the skull (dens?). His bar placement looks to qualify in that regard. What am I missing?
    You're missing the fact that there is no large vertebra at the base of the skull.

Quote Originally Posted by ericfordh View Post
    I'm always trying to drive with my hips, but I admit a part of my brain keeps deciding I'm doing a leg press unless I consciously override it.
    The videos you posted show you leading up with the chest, not the hips. Our way makes you stronger.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 07-20-2011 at 08:22 PM.

OK, so I'm poor at anatomy. The big bone you're pointing out on the DVD as you try to make sure the bar is below it. Anyway, in the OP's video the bar looks well below it, no?

starting strength coach development program
    No.