starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Testosterone Levels

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Another thing I'd add to this is do not make a final decision based on serum testosterone alone. It's entirely possible to have low total test and normal or even high free test. Free testosterone is the active hormone in your blood, that which is not bound to SHBG (and other things).

For instance, a few months ago my panel came back with total test right in the middle (460 or something) and free test at the very top of normal. So the test active in my blood was actually right where I'd want it. This was due to a low SHBG level. (I've seen this result for more than a decade now. Probably a genetic thing)

Also, FSH and LH need to be tested to determine which level hypogonadism is occurring at. While you're at it, make sure estradiol is in the normal range.
    A lot of docs throw testosterone at a guy who hasn't had a full blood profile. I believe this to be a mistake.

Let’s not forget some of the ancillary treatments that may or may not be necessary with testosterone...

Oh and I'm not a doctor. Just a... hobbyest.

If your T is in the 300's at your age, it's worth looking into. Mine was in that range at 50+, and I got it taken care of, to my benefit both in lifting and other areas. :-) I do not supplement T, I take a low (25 mg/day) dose of Clomiphene Citrate. This raised my T into the mid-600's which is decent for a guy my age, and all I was after. I put on about 15# of BW as a result, and disqualified myself from eligibility for drug-free powerlifting (which is the only kind I'd be interested in).

"and disqualified myself from eligibility for drug-free powerlifting"

I'd check on that. I think you can get a waiver if you have a doc's prescription.

I got tested for this, and my total test is 477 mg/dL and free test is 83.7 pg/mL

I'm 25, 155 lbs, 5'7". I had gone to the gym just the evening before. Did the usual squats/bench/PC workout. Came home, had dinner. Then I had a bedtime protein shake at around 2 AM, and got tested in the morning, fasted, around 11 AM. And if it also matters, I'd been on a low-carb diet for a month prior.

Is mine average, or low as well? They listed a reference range and it lists normal as between 250 - 1100. If I'm 25, shouldn't mine be closer to the high end?

Quote Originally Posted by xagent View Post
    I got tested for this, and my total test is 477 mg/dL and free test is 83.7 pg/mL

I'm 25, 155 lbs, 5'7". I had gone to the gym just the evening before. Did the usual squats/bench/PC workout. Came home, had dinner. Then I had a bedtime protein shake at around 2 AM, and got tested in the morning, fasted, around 11 AM. And if it also matters, I'd been on a low-carb diet for a month prior.

Is mine average, or low as well? They listed a reference range and it lists normal as between 250 - 1100. If I'm 25, shouldn't mine be closer to the high end?
    It doesn't really work like that. If you're in the normal range and you are not symptomatic then there shouldn't be any reason to supplement. Even if you're on the low end but not symptomatic you probably don't need it.

How are you guys getting tested? Marching into your doctor's office and demanding it? I ask because when my husband asked his doctor about getting checked she said they flat out don't test for that unless something is wrong. I want him to have a good benchmark because I would like his lifting (and other things) to be as awesome as possible for as long as possible.

Average. You also should really have the test done as early in the day as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn the Brawn View Post
    How are you guys getting tested? Marching into your doctor's office and demanding it? I ask because when my husband asked his doctor about getting checked she said they flat out don't test for that unless something is wrong. I want him to have a good benchmark because I would like his lifting (and other things) to be as awesome as possible for as long as possible.
    Yes, something needs to be wrong when you ask for the test. The smart guy will not say it's his recovery from barbell training.

You say, "I'm tired all the time, losing strength, no sex drive and I can't get it up. Could I please have my testosterone levels checked?"

starting strength coach development program
    Both in normal range, but free is on the lower end perhaps. Last reference range I saw was 46-224 pg/mL. Still, it'll be difficult to find a doc who doesn't specialize in HRT who'll touch that.

Also, for the folks inquiring about blood tests, check out www.privatemdlabs.com . While not available in every state (list is on the site) they are in most and are very simple to use, particularly if you lack insurance and a doc. No prescription or doctor needed, order the tests you want online, go to your local labcorp with the printed form and have your results emailed to you in 48 hours. There are also plenty of 15% coupons floating around out there. I really like this service because it gives you freedom, privacy, and personal responsibility over an aspect of your health. Things that are lacking and getting scarcer in medicine these days. Use it while you can.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast