starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Testosterone Levels

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Has any one ever heard any claims about drug free pro athletes possibly having low serum test levels due to hard Intense training? I have heard this claim before with football players.

That is certainly one aspect of overtraining, and one of the reasons why testosterone is supplemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I am not aware of any way to force production of a hormone that is not already responding positively to the stress of training.
    Clomiphene Citrate (Clomid). That's what I'm taking, and it moved my test levels from ~300 to mid-600s ... all of it endogenous, rather than supplied by an actual test supplement.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16422830

Quote Originally Posted by grubinski View Post
    Clomiphene Citrate (Clomid). That's what I'm taking, and it moved my test levels from ~300 to mid-600s ... all of it endogenous, rather than supplied by an actual test supplement.

Interesting, I know the study says there wasn't any side effects but have you noticed any? Do you take it every day? What would happen if you stopped cold turkey?

I'm 35 and might look into this in 5 years. I'd hate to be chained to test injections for the rest of my life. This obviously seems like a better solution if you don't want to go crazy with suplementation.

Yup, that was the stuff I was thinking of!

The OP is young so the doctor might think it a bad idea to suppress his endogenous levels. Testosterone is what's meant to be in the male body and is bio identical. Manipulating ones negative feedback mechanism for the test of his life with an SERM doesn't sound as healthy as exogenous testosterone replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by gummi_hulk View Post
    Interesting, I know the study says there wasn't any side effects but have you noticed any? Do you take it every day? What would happen if you stopped cold turkey?
    I have noticed no side effects except slightly more sensitive nipples once in a while, like in the shower. Nothing that I notice very often. I take 25mg/day, a very low dose. I tried it a while back, ran out, and it took a while to get the prescription renewed ... the external symptoms I'd noticed that had motivated me to try it started coming back.

While not on clomid it would be nice to know estradiol and thyroid function as well as LH SHBG and so on.

If you're serious about it and your GP isn't providing adequate care you should ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. Low testosterone, particularly in young men (who are effectively walking erections unless they're dying), can be a sign of really bad stuff, like prolactin-secreting tumors in the pituitary. A doctor who specializes in that kind of thing will sniff it out right away and make sure it's all kosher, even if not ideal. This isn't just an issue of how much test you're working with to put on muscle -- it could be an issue of serious health concern.

It's also (potentially) an indicator that your diet and rest habits are not keeping up with your activity levels. The relationship between overtraining and testosterone levels is well-trod ground for most folks here, but suffice it to say that if you're doing too much and not eating enough, you're going to fry yourself and that will show up in your testosterone levels. So as always, take care of the things you can take care of, let your biology do what it can, and figure out how the chemistry set can help you once you've determined that you need help.

starting strength coach development program

Arimidex is a drug used to lower estrogen in women with cancer.
    My doctor prescribed it to me because my estradiol was too high. Not only did it lower my estradiol but it boosted my testosterone level.
    http://forums.webmd.com/3/erectile-d...hange/forum/19
    As you can see this is my first post. I'm a 60 year old male that has been lifting for four years with less than stellar results. I just started SS.
    I love this site!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast