starting strength gym

Thread: The Press, Hip Drive and Long Forearms

Default The Press, Hip Drive and Long Forearms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In your chapter "Learning to Press", in Figure 3-12 on page 84, you show an example of an individual with long forearms relative to the humerus. I am of a similar frame, though not as extreme as shown in the picture. I am able to rest the bar where the clavicles meet the sternum, but only just.

I recently reset my weight on the press from a previous best of 165# x 3 so that I could relearn with the recommended hip drive. I like the results in that I feel much more stable over-all, presumably due to the added strength in my midsection (notice the avoidance of the "C" word).

As I have built my press back up (150 x 3 so far), I have notice a slight strain starting to occur in the top portion of my anterior delt. Thinking about this, I have wondered if it has to do with the fact that I am unable to rest the bar on my delts (without extreme wrist extension) in the bottom position of the press. Since I am attempting to using hip-drive without a solid shelf, my arms would be acting a bit like shock absorbers for that initial thrust, hence the minor strain that I am feeling.

Have you come across this problem? If so, how have you addressed it in your trainees? Should I go back to a more strict military press?

FWIW, I am 37 and about 210lbs (up from about 170lbs).

Haven't seen this particular problem. Post a video so I can see the start position.

I had a similar issue a few weeks back except the pain was more lateral/posterior. i'm not using as much weight as you are but I noticed I had a tendency to extend my wrists more and more (especially the left wrist) towards the end of the set and the start position of the bar would get lower and elbows would drop slightly. I exaggerated the bulldog grip and made sure to keep my wrists in the proper position throughout the set and the problem went away immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Post a video so I can see the start position.
    Will do.

Post a video so I can see the start position.
    As promised...

After shooting this video, I must admit that I am rather embarrassed by what I am seeing. My form is nowhere near where I had imagined it to be. I obviously need to record my workouts more often.

Here is the video: http://youtu.be/gPS6yPf2za0

Here are the problems that I see in the bottom position:

* wrists are extended
    * at times, I drop my elbows
    * grip looks to be slightly too wide as arms are not vertical
    * looks like I am over stretching (losing tension) so that I can touch my chest with the bar.

Here are the problems I see while performing the set:

* knees are unlocking
    * not popping my hips enough (if at all?)

As a result of watching this, I change my theory about where the mild strain is coming from. Please correct me if I am wrong. I think that I am trying to force the bar down to my chest despite the length of my forearms. I can only accomplish this in any combination of three possibilities: (1) by over extending my wrists, (2) by dropping my elbows and (3) by over stretching (relaxing?) my shoulders.

BTW, please ignore the redneck gym. My father, a metal worker and welder, built a rack built as per your instructions (with slight modifications for transport). I will be picking it up at the end of July (600 miles away) during my vacation. I will post pics when it arrives.

Thank you for your time Rip.

I hate to break the news to you, but your forearms aren't any longer than mine. Narrow your grip, get the bar in the correct position over your wrist, squeeze your knees tighter so they don't unlock, and stop pausing between your hip drive forward and your press up.

I will clean it up. Thanks for your time.

starting strength coach development program
    Just a further FYI in regards to the following:

Narrow your grip, get the bar in the correct position over your wrist...
    By narrowing my grip and fixing the wrist extension, the strain nearly disappeared completely when I did today's 155# triple. I still need to clean up my knees and timing of the hip thrust, but am working on that. Thank you again.