starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rest Pause aka Cluster Reps/ Sets?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    BVic,

I think you have a misunderstanding of what Rest-Pause training is. It is NOT the same thing as DE training. Not even close.

Rest - pause is generally a technique used in bodybuilding and is a "set extender" like drop sets, forced reps, etc.

Rest-pause generally has you pick a predetermined amount of reps - maybe 30. You pick a weight that will allow you to get 15 reps and do it. Then you rack the weight....rest for about 15-20 breaths, unrack the weight and knock out a few more, maybe 5. You keep doing this process until you reach 30.

It is quite useful for bodybuilding type training, but is a BITCH to recover from and can't be used very often. Dorian used to use them quite a bit as I understand.
    I will not be using this type of training because I know that I would not recover enough to be able to train M,W,F whole body sessions. Also I consider my mass to be more developed than my strength, over the years I've subject my body to far too much volume than is ideal and from what you have said it would seem that in the past I've used the technique without even knowing it! ? Pieces of the jigsaw I guess slowly coming together.

Thank you all for your input. I'm confident that DE is the key for me at this time and I'll be applying it to my squats because my other lifts are still moving along steadily at the moment. Would it not be all so easy if we could all do the same thing all the time and get the same results :-O

Actually since no one holds the patents to rest/pause training, difference people interpret it in different fashion.

However, the first time this term "rest pause" was used was to describe this:
    1. Take 3-5 RM load, Do one rep.
    2. Rack the bar, Rest for few sec.
    3. Do another.
    4. Rack the bar, Rest for few sec
    5. Repeat till you die.

This allows you to do more "volume" for the same load.
    (however, this is geared more towards increasing strength)

Over a period of time, bodybuilders also got the clue, and decided to do something similar.
    However, more apt name for their fashion of doing would be cluster reps.
    1. Take 8 RM load, do 8 reps
    2. Rack the bar, rest for a while.
    3. Do as many reps again with same load (usually less than half of the previous one)
    4. Rack and rest.
    5. Again rep it out.

Dante Trudel (Doggcrapp fame) called it rest pause (or perhaps his "followers") - and somehow the name stuck.
    THOUGH Even he admits that it is not true rest pause training.

b17vic:
    You do the work comparison for both scenario (= load x reps).
    It is unwise to label one as less "recoverable" than other without doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by jon cowie View Post
    If i did a true rep max set, i very much doubt after 'resting a while' (in bodybuilding parlance, probably under 20s) i'd be able to rep the bar properly, let a lone the same weight!
    Keep in mind we're mostly taking about various forms of curls and triceps extension here.

Quote Originally Posted by jon cowie View Post
    If i did a true rep max set, i very much doubt after 'resting a while' (in bodybuilding parlance, probably under 20s) i'd be able to rep the bar properly, let a lone the same weight!
    You can. I've done Doggcrapp training, it has you going to failure three times, with some 45-60 seconds of rest between "sets". A typical bench press goes like 7 reps, 3 and then 1.

I always found rest pausing in the way "DC" suggests to be less taxing than three sets to failure with 2-10 mins rest between. I'm suppose this is because the total volume is lower and the rest pause sets are much more submaximal than sets with longer rest periods.

alpha1 take note: You don't know how my body responds to and recovers from different training stimuli. Remember that more things actually work in theory than in practice.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Moncrieff MacMillan View Post
    I always found rest pausing in the way "DC" suggests to be less taxing than three sets to failure with 2-10 mins rest between. I'm suppose this is because the total volume is lower and the rest pause sets are much more submaximal than sets with longer rest periods.
    It is. If you rest 5 minutes, you'd be lifting without a background of fatigue and will do more reps, therefore more volume. The fatigue from the previous set restricts how many reps you can do. But it's still not easy to recover. It's doable, of course, but it's not a walk on the park.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12