starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BBC investigates supplement claims

Default BBC investigates supplement claims

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    BBC reports that the British medical journal finds most supplements are a waste of time.

Prof Lean said the market for supplements is "yet another fashion accessory for exercise… and a rather expensive way of getting a bit of milk."
    Banana and pint of milk post workout?

A team at Oxford University examined 431 claims in 104 sport product adverts and found a "worrying" lack of high-quality research, calling for better studies to help inform consumers.
    I'm sure this is known already, but nice to see some attention being drawn to dubious claims

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18863293

I tend to agree. I think some vitamins and some fish oil is about all a guy needs to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I tend to agree. I think some vitamins and some fish oil is about all a guy needs to take.
    What about creatine?

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
    BBC reports that the British medical journal finds most supplements are a waste of time.

I'm sure this is known already, but nice to see some attention being drawn to dubious claims

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18863293
    So did they find that most supplements are a waste of time, or that we need more high quality research to find out if they are a waste of time? What you said and the quote you provided are not congruent.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    What about creatine?
    Never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I concur. Although I try to fit some organ meat into my diet, but this is really only a once a week thing. So I take dessicated liver too!

The stance of the article/study is somewhat retarded though. It is based on the pretence that people expect sports supplements to make you fitter/faster/stronger/more muscular - without actually doing anything.

For example the glucose energy drinks, they are claiming that they did not improve performance. But if you had actually depleted your glycogen stores, or even nearly depleted them then even a little of one of these drinks will perk you up like magic.

The protein supplements they mock as "expensive milk" may not do anything for your average healthclub goer, but with someone doing enough high resistance activities who is getting enough calories and sleep, it will aide large amounts of hypertrophy, especially if they are a novice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post

"The protein supplements they mock as "expensive milk" may not do anything for your average healthclub goer, but with someone doing enough high resistance activities who is getting enough calories and sleep, it will aide large amounts of hypertrophy, especially if they are a novice.
    How would protein supplement x differ from milk in that regard? Besides being more expensive, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    The protein supplements they mock as "expensive milk" may not do anything for your average healthclub goer, but with someone doing enough high resistance activities who is getting enough calories and sleep, it will aide large amounts of hypertrophy, especially if they are a novice.
    Would they "add more hypertrophy" than an equivalent amount of milk?

starting strength coach development program
    In the case of Lucozade Sport, the UK's best-selling sports drink, their advert says it is "an isotonic performance fuel to take you faster, stronger, for longer.

A bottle of degreaser "Coke" does the same job.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast